3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quotes By Fred Bear  (Read 454 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Quotes By Fred Bear
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I found these on another site, thought I would share them with the Gang:

QUOTES BY FRED BEAR

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.

If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill, let them go up into the Northwest and tangle with the Grizzly Bear, the Polar Bear, and the Brown Bear. They will get their kicks, and it will cleanse their souls.

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.

A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

A downed animal is most certainly the object of a hunting trip, but it becomes an anticlimax when compared to the many other pleasures of the hunt.

I feel like one of God's chosen people, having had the opportunity to share, with many fine companions, these varied and lovely realms of our natural world.

When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God.

Hardships are quickly forgotten. Intense heat, bitter cold, rain and snow, fatigue,and luckless hunting fade quickly into memories of great fellowship, thoughts of beautiful country, pleasant camps, and happy campfires.

If asked to sketch a mental picture of the typical archer I would be hard put.They seem to come in all shapes, sizes, colors and backgrounds. Inwardly they seem to have in common a love for the outdoors, a reverence for wildlife, and a close tie with history. There is nothing they seem to enjoy more than telling tall tales
around a campfire or talking about archery to others. It would be difficult to find a more interesting group of people.

The very remoteness kindles the imagination of the adventurous hunter. From the top of any mountain the challenge extends far and wide, until the mountains meet the sky.

I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.

Life in the open is one of my finest rewards. I enjoy and become completely immersed in the high challenge and increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It is a return to fundamentals that I instinctively feel are basic and right.

I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparation, the excitement,and sustained suspense of trying to match my woods lore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures.

I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent.

The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind.

With a gun you can hunt deer an average of 3 weeks a year. With a bow you can hunt an average of 10 weeks more depending upon the state you hunt in.

Not only in bow-hunting fun and a real challenge, but its good for you. The
exercise in the fresh air, the chance to get away from everyday pressures and problems, a return to the basic relationships between man and his environment.

When bow-hunting, you find you get closer to the woodland critters. The flora and the forest floor becomes clearer. You look at things more closely. You're moreaware. You know the limited range of the bow is only 40 yards or so. You must try to outwait that approaching deer. Careful not to make the slightest movement or sound hoping that your scent won't suddenly waft his way. That's when you'll know for sure and appreciate deeply what bow-hunting is all about."

. . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quotes By Fred Bear
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Good stuff.

Thanks Al.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
A pleasure to read. Thanks for taking the time to write them down and sharing them.
Jack Shanks

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I like them all!! Thank you!!

I will as time permits come back for a re-read. I might even try to pick out of these treasures my "cream of the crop".

I really appreciate the effort you put forth.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Thank you for posting, it is amazing how the majority of his quotes still ring true today even though the times have changed drastically.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
very grounding...thanks for sharing...i was just googling Fred's quotes yesterday, and never found half of these...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the post !  As Al said,  Good Stuff !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
My favorite quote attributed to Fred Bear by Dick Lattimer in the book "I Remember Papa Bear" is:

"The man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free, unless made so by the exertion of better men than himself."

It speaks to the character of good men, what they are willing to set aside their own safety to protect.  Reminds me why I am a vet and why I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Big_Al:
I found these on another site, thought I would share them with the Gang:

QUOTES BY FRED BEAR

. . . there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
That is why I do it. That's why my compound is dusty. That's why I'm having more fun NOT shooting a deer. That's why I'm typing now.....
What a ride!!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing these!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Here's one that never made it to print until now, something Fred told me the last time we spoke: "Heck, I'm the luckiest guy I know, been able to go a lot of places and write myself a check for it!"  He was winking at me when he said it.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
Great stuff, from one of greatest gentlement anywhere. Thanks for the advice, Fred. I think I'll print them and add your name.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 03:47:00 AM »
I once asked him if he could pick one quote to be known for; and I expected on of the things mentioned above.
 He thought seriously about it for a while; and then looked at me and said 'pick a spot'.
 I have to admit I was kind of shocked; but the more I thought about it; the more sense it made.
 For with effort we all find ourselves with a shot at game- and taking that game is best done with an accurate precise shot.

I miss that guy... big ears and all  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 04:05:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
He also used to say "tracks make poor soup".
bolong

Offline elkhunter752

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
These are great! Thanks for posting.
Dillon Martini

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 11:52:00 PM »
Thanks so much for that.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
I got a print from Bob Munger years ago. It was a fairly large black and white on plaster board that Bob had hanging in his office. Bob himself had taken the picture on a hunt that he had gone on with Fred after Polar Bear. Bob told me the story of that hunt.

Fred and Bob had stalked the bear in the ice packs. Fred had managed to put an arrow in the bears shoulder. The picture was taken over Freds shoulder just after he had shot the bear. You could see the back of Freds head, his shoulders and his bow as he was drawing to make another shot. You could see the bear with a black arrow HANGING from his shoulder. The photo was later used in some Bear ad's with the arrow removed.

Bob told me that the bear had spotted them and charged just after he snapped the picture. He said, "I was strapped in my snowshoes and couldn't run, I just crapped my pants" He said, "Fred stood his ground and shot the bear again just before the guide dropped it right in front of us with a rifle"

Bob signed the print for me and said if I could get Fred to sign it I'd really be lucky. Fred's health wasn't very good at the time and Bob didn't think he'd be making a trip to Michigan any time soon, Fred was living in Florida then.

The following summer Fred came to Michigan and attended the MBH Rendezvous. He was toting an oxygen bottle and they brought in some couches in the area where he sat. I walked up to him and laid the picture in his lap. He looked at the picture and then looked up at me with a surprised look and said, Where in the world did you get this?" I said from your old buddy Bob. He signed it and now I'd like you to sign it too. Fred signed the picture and held it in his hands for a long moment looking at it. Then he gave a sigh, shook his head and said   "Boy...I sure remember that day"  

Living all my life in Michigan and not too far from Grayling where the Bear factory was located, I got to see and talk with Fred many times over the years. That summer was the last time I saw him, he passed away the following spring.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:00 AM »
Great stuff...wish I could have met the man.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Thank you.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©