3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thank you Glenn St Charles  (Read 300 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank you Glenn St Charles
« on: September 25, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Many years ago at a PBS Banquet I was sitting at a booth with Jay Massey when Glenn St Charles stopped by to say hello. After some small talk Glenn said to me, "if you've got a minute of two I'd like to talk to you". I was surprised and honored that he wanted to talk to ME, so I said I've got time right now.

Glenn had me follow him to a quiet place in the lobby with a comfortable couch where we sat while I listened to his thoughts about a traditional record keeping organization. The idea took me by surprise, especially coming from the man that had founded the Pope & Young Club.

I had mixed thoughts at first but then I saw the wisdom of it. It was basically starting a record keeping organization much like P&Y was when it first started....before it kind of got away from the original intent. Like it or not, bow hunters today are divided into two camps modern and traditional and there are some aspects of the sport that the two mix about like oil and water.

Glenn was a visionary who had the ability to look past the next curve in the road. The Compton Traditional Bowhunters and the Compton Archives are/were Glenns vision.  Because of his relentless pursuit of this vision along with his urging and guidance those goals were finely met.

We just lost this great man but thank God he lived long enough to lead us to this point. Now it's up to us to hold onto it.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thank you Glenn St Charles
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
ttt
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
We just lost this great man but thank God he lived long enough to lead us to this point. Now it's up to us to hold onto it.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
TTT
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
:campfire:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Well said Ron,, Thank you

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
A great gentleman and leader, we owe him so much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Words to live by Ron, I would think a way to do a tribute to Mr. St.Charles would sign up and becomes a member of the Comptons.    :thumbsup:    :archer:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Sage Custom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
My dad was one of the founding fathers of P&Y with Glenn. As a boy and later as a teenager and young man, I spent hours upon hours at Northwest Archery fondling archery stuff and sometimes even spending money. Glenn was always there as were his wife, his daughter Suzanne, and sons Jay and Joe. The shop was pretty tiny. They had an indoor range in the back of about 5 yards. Suzanne made arrows on a couple of rotating tables filled with Biztenbergers. The smell of cedar arrows filled the shop. "Glenn's Den" was in the next room which later was moved and became the P&Y museum. I LOVED being in that shop. Now with Glenn's passing as well as my dad's earlier this year, I think back on that part of my life as some of the most found memories I've ever had. Many thanks to the St. Charles family for putting up with me being always underfoot especially Glenn.
My prayers are with the family.
God bless.
Mike Bryan
Dad was one of the founding fathers of P&Y Club.

Offline Sage Custom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
As a side note, I was amazed when Glenn told me he didn't always shoot left handed. Looking back at older photos you can see he shot right handed. Apparently, he developed a problem with snap shooting and that was the only way he could fix it!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Thank you Ron for the education and the tribute!

Words of praise for Mr.St. Charles coming from someone as esteemed as yourself only elevates his standing in my eyes.

I doubt he would have ever remembered meeting me but I'll never forget getting to shake his hand.

Thank you again!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
It is too bad threads like this one can't be set up to open automatically once a week when guys log in.  We are so, so lucky to have a place like this to share.

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
It is too bad threads like this one can't be set up to open automatically once a week when guys log in.  We are so, so lucky to have a place like this to share.
I couldn't agree more!    :thumbsup:
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Well said Ron, it IS up to us. Great story by the way!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Vision is what got us here, effort and involvment will keep us. Thanks for sharing again with us Ron
And thanks for the insight(again).
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
The LEGENDS are those among us not only with a vision but also with a humble and approachable personality that allow them to share that vision. Glenn was one of those approachable legends and he doesn't leave us with the postition vacant. He has inspired others to lead. I'd dare say that Mr. LaClair may be one of them.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Sage Custom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
As a side note, I was amazed when Glenn told me he didn't always shoot left handed. Looking back at older photos you can see he shot right handed. Apparently, he developed a problem with snap shooting and that was the only way he could fix it!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

This was at Cloverdale, Glenn was giving me shooting lessons...    :D   I can't remember the year but it doesn't seem that long ago, he was shooting right handed then.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Question Ron - What did Jay Massey think about another/new records keeping organization?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©