3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Building Help  (Read 214 times)

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Building Help
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I have always wanted to, but have never built or crested my own arrows.
Are some ways to get around the cost of the cresting kit, and the $75 fletching jig?

I like the carbon arrows, I shoot a 55# recurve, actual draw length is 27".. What would be my recommended arrow length as well? I have been shooting 30" but feel this is to long.
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Building Help
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
I can't help you with the carbons- being strictly a wood shooter. Cresting is totally optional, all you need is an arrow wrap-no need to crest at all.
As far as fletching, look for a used Bitzenberger  jig and clamp of your choice. The length of the arrow is unimportant as long as it is not too short, tuning is what counts.
If you shorten your shaft be sure to add weight up front to compensate.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »
If you want to crest your arrows just use a electric drill, chuck up the arrow and spin it, use testers paint, or use spray paint.  This is the way I used to do .

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
Think of it as an investment . The Bitzenberger jig will pay for it's self in no time if you are like me??
As for the crester?? I bought and old drill at a yard sell and a $3 dimmer swithch. put it all on a scrap piece of 2x4 and it worked great.. Only like $8 total??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm not recommending it, but you can skip the fletching jig also if you really want to.  Just buy fletch tape and manually place the feathers on the arrow.  May not be as precise as the jig, but it'll work.  That being said, let me warn you that once you start you'll never quit and you'll want to make better and better arrows.  Might as well bite the bullet and buy a Bitz and a good (check out the Spinrite)crester now.  All the cheap stuff does an OK job, but after a while OK won't be good enough.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline DXH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies! I am assuming I need a right helical fletcher, since I am right handed?
Ben Pearson Cougar 40#
PSE Black Hawk T/D 55#
Bamboo backed Osage Self bow 57#
Ivory Hunter 60#

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Your jig needs to match your feathers RW-RW jig, LW-LW jig.

What you shoot makes no difference. OLD rule of thumb was opposte wing of your handedness.

It doesn't affect how your arrows fly but it can help for clearance of your bow hand if you shoot off the shelf with with a low shelf.

Try to borrow some equipment if you can to see if you like building arrows. If like it then buy the best right from the start.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
If you decide on the arrow wrap option rather than cresting w paint, but still want a custom look, check out OneStringer Arrow Wraps.  They are a sponsor here.  

With their help you can make your own design, traditional, or super customized w logo, graphics, flames, etc and they will produce them and you can reorder as you need them.  Great idea!!

Plus, you get the ease of a wrap, but still 100% customized by you.

Check 'em out.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Worden:
I'm not recommending it, but you can skip the fletching jig also if you really want to.  Just buy fletch tape and manually place the feathers on the arrow.  May not be as precise as the jig, but it'll work.  That being said, let me warn you that once you start you'll never quit and you'll want to make better and better arrows.  Might as well bite the bullet and buy a Bitz and a good (check out the Spinrite)crester now.  All the cheap stuff does an OK job, but after a while OK won't be good enough.
I will second what Dave said, and I don't know from experience, but I am willing to bet that building arrows is more addicting than crack.

I'm glad I bought the right tools the first time.  If you go at it cheaply, you will eventually spend enought money replacing stuff that it will far excede the inital investment of the proper equipment.

You could go with wraps, but is just not the same.  Spraying, or dipping the crowns, and painting on your own crestings adds a personal touch, and you know that you did the whole thing.  I went thru a phase in my life where all I would shoot was carbons, and had wraps on for flare.  Now I have grown up, and I prefer to build wood arrows from scratch.  It is very relaxing, and it gives me something to do in the evening when I'm either watching TV, or on Tradgang, and want something to eat.  I go to my archery room, and do something with wood arrows.  I have all kinds of shafts in just about every part of the arrow building process waiting my arrival.  And after a short session with my "Therapist" (arrows) I no longer have the desire to eat, and am good to go.  When I started building arrrows, I was 291 pounds.  I am now at 223, so I would have to say the "Therapy" is working.  LOL
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Jimbow39

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
If you get a fletching jig with streight clamps, you can fletch either right or left hand set at an offset. That way one jig works for right or left wing feathers.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I would go with the right wing if I was going to buy a new one again. With the left wing the tips like to unscrew.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©