3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My season thus far  (Read 399 times)

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
My season thus far
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey all, deer season is wrapped up for the year here, and my wife and I have a baby due about any day, so I figure the major portion of my bow hunting is behind me until the winter (then there's lots planned  ;)  ).  Any way for having pretty limited time I got out a fair bit, had some great experiences, and took some game, so I wanted to share a few pics.

The early deer season was really hot and I was getting frustrated with not seeing many deer, so I spent a couple days in the nearby North Cascades doing this, looking for bears.

It was fun, I would leave the house at three, then hike a couple hours in the dark to get up high before first light.  With Eve due anytime I had a pretty short leash, and that ended up biting me when I finally spotted a bear coming up out of this lake, exactly 8 minutes after our pre-arranged turn around time.  

Logistics swirling through my head I gave myself another hour and planned out a stalk.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My season thus far
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
The stalk took me down through this dry streambed, which gave me relatively quick and quiet access to the bear, who was feeding on mountain ash berries on the lower portion of the slope.

with a steady wind blowing up in my face I was able to make good time, and about 15 minutes after the extra hour I had granted myself elapsed I found myself low on the slope 30 yards from the bear.  There was no turning back now, so I crawled to 25 yards at which point things got too thick to proceed undetected.  I put an arrow on the string and got ready for the shot, now it was all up to the bear.  He was feeding slowly toward me, no shot there.  Meanwhile the wind , which had been so steady, showed signs of growing fickle, and the bear picked up my scent. Curious now he closed another few steps, but was now partially alert and angling down wind.  Things were falling apart fast.  At probably 20 yards or a tad more he got a solid noseful, whirled around, and headed off uphill.  For a brief instant he'd opened up at a reasonable angle and distance, but something just told me not to take the shot, I just knew it wasn't a can't miss situation, and I guess I was probably slightly distracted by the fact that for all I knew my wife was going into labor at that very moment.  

I'm still haunted by the encounter, and even though I very much wanted to bring that bear off the mountain, I'm still glad I passed on the shot.

(sorry about the sideways pic,it's right side up on photo bucket, can't figure out how to turn it around here)
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Good call Bro!  Some of my best hunts didn't bring game home.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Well I couldn't really stay away so A couple days later I was back looking for the bear again.  I found him on the same slope, but the conditions just didn't set up and I never got close that day.  Had fun though, shot this grouse, and saw some great bear sign.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Beautiful country!  Congratulations on your new "little one to be"!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Thanks Rastaman!

Well early archery deer season was almost over, and while there is a late season in some parts of the state, the area I live in isn't one of them.  This wasn't going to be my season to travel, so even though I was having great fun looking for bears I figured I better turn my attention back to deer.  In the process I managed to shoot this ruffed grouse, Yum.

And then when this muley doe came slipping past on her way to dinner I decided she'd look great wearing my tag.

And there it is.  I haven't given up on the bears yet, and hope to get another opportunity to get up high before the snow settles in.  Thanks for looking , and good luck to everyone with your own seasons.

Online Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Well congratulations on the baby.
Congratulations on the deer, love the pics!
Steve.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Congrats on the addition to the family.    :clapper:     Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Congrats on a nice doe and the pics are cool!
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
For limited time you had a fantastic early season.....   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Great early season. Your pics of the Cascades reminds me of younger days when I lived out that way. Good luck with the new baby.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Way to go dan! Great pics!

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
great pics and way to go.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Great stuff Dan
Good to see your keeping busy
Iv been out in the bush up here, will give you an update after the season.
Congrats on the Beautiful muley
Shooting a longbow now   :thumbsup:  very nice
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Congrats DHR! Are you shooting a Centaur? What are the specs?

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
Nice stuff.You sure take some good pics.

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks fellas I sure appreciate the comments.

DTD- yup that's a centaur.  It's a 60" takedown glass bow, Bocote limbs with charcoal diamondwood riser, 57@28, and just as smooth as can be.

Andy good to see you back on here, hope you're having a good time and I will be looking forward to hearing some tales!  :campfire:

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Love reading you topics and most of all congrats to your new addition..Waiting for the next adventure you share thanks again DHR. Best wishes

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Great pics.  That is some amazing country.    :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©