3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beginner's Hard Work and a nice bull! (lots of pics pg 2!!!)  (Read 818 times)

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
Beginner's Hard Work and a nice bull! (lots of pics pg 2!!!)
« on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Allow me to brag on my brother-in-law for a second. His name is Kelly.

I thought about titling this Beginner's Luck but it wasn't luck at all.

9 years ago I was a freshmen in college and my sister called me to say hey. My roommate and wrestling teammate answered my phone thinking he was going to be funny and talk to my little sister. Joke was on him because 5 years later they got married.

Kelly is a super competitive guy, like me, so we are always finding something to best each other at. He never had any interest in hunting. The year after we graduated college we were both still living in Wisconsin and I killed a big whitetail buck. For some reason that peaked Kelly's interest in hunting and he said he wanted to start hunting to kill a bigger deer than me.

Two years ago we all moved to Colorado, my home state, and Kelly got really interested in traditional archery. My Dad and our good friend chipped in and got him a Wapiti recurve. He was so excited that he had to shoot it right away because he thought that that might be what it was like to shoot at an animal. Since then Kelly has had the fire for traditional archery as much as anybody. He shoots daily and makes his own arrows, from the crown dip to the cresting. We showed him how to mount his broadheads a few weeks ago, which I guess is about the final step in preparation.

This was his first hunting season in his life and he started with traditional archery. Earlier this spring I got to watch Kelly miss a few turkeys in Nebraska. There's nothing like being with somebody when they get those first hunting shots. He was devastated for missing and started to understand the excitement that keeps us all coming back to the field.

Kelly and my brother Danny are packed way in right now on an elk hunt. Last night we got a phone call from my brother. They hiked to the highest peak hoping for cell reception because Kelly killed a big 6point. All I know right now is that it was the herd bull, and Kelly made a 20 yard heart shot, and the bull died in 80 yards. I don't know how big just that it was a 6point and the herd bull. Danny said that the bull came in looking to hurt somebody he was so hott! They were packing out a quarter each when they called.

I am so excited for Kelly that I had to share what I know.

More pictures and stories to come when I find them out!
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beginner's Hard Work and a nice bull! (lots of pics pg 2!!!)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
This is hunting. Friends helping friends & happier than if they had killed the animal themselves. Great!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story and see the pictures.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Tom it is clear that you are excited for your buddy/brother-in-law.

That speaks volumes for you my friend!!

I'll be watching for the rest of the story and pictures when they get back.

Thanks for posting us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Cool!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Great story! I'd also like to add that it would be an honor to have you as a brother or brother-in-law. Kelly is a Lucky Man, and not just in hunting. I'll be watching for the pics when you get them. Congrats to Kelly!   :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Awesome!   :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :coffee:

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
woooo hoooo!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Good story!

I have just as much fun (maybe more) helping people be successful as I do when I am.

You guys are fortunate to have each other.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
this will be good    :campfire:
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
That is exciting. Can't wait to see the picks and hear the rest of the hunt story.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
Another pic. I really don't mean to tease you guys I just got home and I'm wiped out. I'll take my time and share the story and some more pics tomorrow.

Quite a first big game animal. I am far more thrilled than if I would have shot it myself (just depressed that I wasn't able to be there to share the excitement). It could not have happened to a more deserving, humble, and hard working guy.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »
Sweet! Can't wait to hear the rest...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
top effort on his first hunting season.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Congrats to the whole hunting party and especially Kelly! Addicted???

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Awesome!

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Outstanding!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Sorry that this took me so long.

Here are a few pictures of the guys packing in. Llamas are the best. I had some horse problems this year and my favorite bow is in 5 pieces. After using both animals the past two years I can say that you work for the horses, where as llamas work for you. Now if only you could ride a llama.

My brother Danny

Kelly

Early on the hunt they both came into a meadow with this big boy in it. He had no cows and was grazing just as fast as he could. My brother called this bull right in after getting a few pictures and shot right over his back...that one hurts!

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
The first day of the hunt our good buddy and hunting partner Del shot this cow. Del is quite an elk hunter and has killed a number of bulls. We call him an elk hunting snob because he is usually pretty picky on what animal he will shoot. With just three days left in the season Del couldn't pass up a 12 yard shot on this cow. He has some pretty unconventional elk hunting methods but the results speak for themselves...Del ran (yes...RAN) into the middle of a herd as Danny and Kelly watched in horror - thinking that the hunt was surely over. After shooting this cow he had to use his bow to poke another one so that it didn't run him over.

On the final evening of their hunt Danny and Kelly put on a monster hike. Later in the evening they heard a bugle towards camp, and the wind was perfect. Luck was on their side that night.

Sneaking as close as they could they spotted a big herd out in the open. Elk were running everywhere, making every noise an elk makes, and doing all the cool things that elk do. Kelly got to see this bull do everything and make every noise that they make for almost an hour.

With shooting hours winding down they feared ambushing these elk would run them out of time. Danny picked up his call and this big bull came in looking for blood. Kelly was drawn on a cow, but not knowing where Danny was exactly he did not shoot. As soon as he let down this bull ripped off a scream that Kelly said made his legs shake uncontrollably. He was only 20 yards away. Kelly drew his bow as the bull walked behind some trees and as he stepped into the open Kelly made a perfect heart shot.

Having never hunted, and never seeing anything get shot, Kelly didn't know what to do. The bull didn't act like it was hit. Kelly said he knew that you don't chase an animal, especially if it was hit, but the urge to get another shot over took him and he stumbled a few steps trying to get another shot at the animal, which of course scared some of the animals and the big bull. He only ran ten yards though and fell over.

Danny and Kelly

With the llamas carrying two elk the guys had to pack some of their own gear out. A guy waits all year for that painful job. Every step is worth the wait.

>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©