3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Helical Fletch??  (Read 200 times)

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
Helical Fletch??
« on: September 26, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
For years I have happily been fletching my own arrows using both a jo-jan and bitz with fletch tape. During that time my arrows have been functional but I have always been amazed at some of the awesome arrows Trad Gang stars are making.

One of the things I noticed is that my fletch using a l-wing helical clamp regardless of jig used have more of a ) offset appearance as they sit on the shaft while many I see here have a cool wavy shape with the quill beginning and then ending parallel with the shaft. How is that done?    :dunno:
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Helical Fletch??
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Could you post pics of your fletching work, and, pics of the work you wanna emulate???

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
I think it has something to do with the fletch tape! I just did a few with duco and they are very close to what I have seen. I will post pics tomorrow.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Been thinking about it all day, here's my thoughts. I haven't been at it long, but I've done a fair amount of arrows and they've all come out beautifully.
I wonder (like you said) I it could have a bit to do with the tape.  All of my arrows have been fletched with fletch-tite or similar glues and they end up with a nice spiral in the end. Seems like the tape may not hold the quill so rigidly in the initial setup. If I were you I'd try fletching one with glue and see if it gives the result you're looking for.

It also reminded me of what rw feathers would be like in a lw jig..... But I blew that off because it sounds like you've been at this a while and wouldn't make that mistake  :)

my 2 cents, Austin
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
No definately lw in a left clamp. I have done that after a few too many barley pops though. The glue has given me more spiral than with the tape but not quite there. How much offset are you putting in the dials on a bitz? I have the front dialed fairly hard to left and rear a bit to the right. What about placement in the clamp? I am going to play with both and see where it takes me.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
when using fletch tape...the ends of the feathers will often turn back in toward their original shape (especially with Gateway as they have a much thicker base than Trueflight).  I'm sure some of the tape guys will say that doesn't happen...but it's happened every single time I've used tape.  That's why I don't use tape.  The natural curve of the feather will pull the tape, thus leaving a C shaped fletch on the shaft rather than a true helical.  YMMV
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I fletched several last night with both duco and tape. The tape seems to be the issue as my duco arrows came out perfect after a minor adjustment. I guess I just need to be patient and wait for the glue.

I appreciate all the input. I've been using the tape and although I like it I realize I forgot how good old fashioned glue could be.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I use tape exclusively and have never lost the helical setting in my fletch, which is pretty radical. I think many people who have trouble with the tape holding aren't pressing the tape down on the shaft hard enough or seal their arrow with an oily finish.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I wrap as much feather as I can around my shaft. Here is a pic of some I made up for St Judes...notice the helical...

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline LinemanARK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
If you are right handed hold the bow with left hand witch way do you put the helical on left or right

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©