3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TN opener success!  (Read 1311 times)

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TN opener success!
« on: September 26, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Well, deer season opened for Tennessee yesterday morning. I missed out on the morning hunt, because I was busy packing for the afternoon!
The hunt club I'm a member of, has our land about 2¾ hours drive from my house. So, I packed for an overnighter.
I arrived at the site at 2pm, set up my campsite & got into my hunting gear. I threw my stand on my back, a book & a few bottles of water in my pocket, (It's still in the 80's & the humidity is HIGH) grabbed my beautiful Morrison Cheyenne & headed out for the trees.
I had a pretty good idea of where I needed to be after having an afternoon in a nearby tree last year & seeing good sign. I had a small hill to my right, a gravel road 20 yards to my left & beyond that a small backwater. The wind was coming nicely down the hill & hooking around to blow in my face (according to the Thermacell smoke)
After an hour or so, I began to figure out that I was probably in the stand a bit early (I live in the Central timezone, the club is Eastern  :rolleyes: ) so I dug into the Den of the Old Bowhunter for some inspiration from Chester Stevenson.
Time passes.
More time passes.
Sitting there in a slight downpour I started to hear movement up the hill. Sqirrels.
Finally the rain gave it up & the woods began to spring to life. I catch sight of movement. A flash, nothing more. I started to twist & gyrate, trying to see through the trees in the failing light. I catch a glimpse of a leg & my attention focuses instantly on that spot. I'm so intent on seeing te rest of the deer in tat tiny gap, 40 yards away, that I completely fail to see the doe walking calmly towards me. Finally my brain kicks in & I see the deer. I'm already on full alert now, bow in hand, vibrating like I'm on a caffeine high. Ever so slowly I bring my right hand to the string & locate the nock & begin to rotate towards my quarry. She stops. Facing me. Drops her head & starts to pick up the few White Oak acorns she can find. She turns away & I put tension to the 63# carbon & foam, diamond back-backed limbs. A step to her left. Feeding. Another step left & she's quartering away by a couple of degrees, my bow is up, heavily canted to avoid the bar around my climber, the arrow is suddenly not there & the deer is running away. Did I miss? I know I bent at the waist. I think I hit my anchor. I don't think I 'peeked' Can I see my arrow in the dirt? No. Hmm. Where'd it go then? I must've hit it. I hit it.
I.
Hit.
That.
Deer.
I HIT THE DEER!! IHITTHEDEERIHITTHEDEERIHITTHEDEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now the shakes kick in, big time. I struggle to remember how to sit down & try & compose myself. I try & remember where she was when I shot & where she ran to. OK, think I've got it now. Slowly, slowly down the tree I go (Terrified & shaking ever step of the way) to take up the trail. I can't see any blood in this light & my headlight is in the truck, dammit. No problem, I'll go to the last place I saw her & flag the spot before I go get it. I pace off 12 yards from my tree to where she stood. 12 yards, cool! 22 more yards to where I remember seeing her run. Oooh, there's my arrow. It's got all red on the end & the bleeder's missing from the big Magnus four blade head. Cool!
Ok, she went thattaway, over a small rise. Go on Rob, take a peek. There she lay. At rest, at the base of a small tree & very, very dead.
A quick peek at the wound tells me that I passed high through her right lung, through the middle of her left & smashed holy hell out of her left shoulder, leaving a small exit wound & lots of splintered bone.
Now the frantic texting & phone calls to everyone I've ever met or heard of to let 'em all know that I've just got my first deer with a bow!
Quick Robbie, grab the camera......****, ****, ****ing ****, it's at home, 2¾ hours away.

So, I don't have any 'Before' photos & no 'hero' shots. But I do have these.......

Hope this isn't too rambling for ya!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TN opener success!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Ataboy Rob!!!!
I knew you'd get one. Glad to see you opened your Tenn season with a success. Your first Whitetail!
Once again Congratulations!!!
    :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Way to go Mate!!!  Its cool as can be to see someone get excited, even over a doe!!!  Good story!!!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Very nice!Those pics are great.

Leland

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Nice photos....my frig looks real similiar from last nights hunt!   :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
You gotta be kidding me, you kill your first deer, and YOU FORGOT YOUR CAMERA!!!!!

Shame on you    :mad:  

Congrats brother, very happy for you!!   :clapper:

Bet you can't wait to do it again    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Good on ya, Rob!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
CONGRATS ROB!!!  :thumbsup:
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Good for you, good story even if you forgot the camera. I like the after display also.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Steve Humphrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Congrats Rob, hopefully the first of many.   :clapper:
We have made a start in discovering the meaning of human life when we plant shade trees under which we know full well we will never sit. - D. Elton Trueblood

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Excellent!! Im sure you are still smiling....but next time, bring a camera!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
cool!  :thumbsup:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
WAY TO GO!!! CONGRATS   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Mike Davenport

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Nice job!  Your telling me you got a phone you can text on and no camera in it?   :rolleyes:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Congrats!!
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Way too cool Rob!! I wish I could have seen you shimmy down that tree after the shot, shaking worse than the leeves on the tree itself.
It just doesn't get any better than that!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Way to go Rob!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   Good story telling...i could feel the shakes myself!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Great Job Rob!!!! congrats  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Congrats on the first deer Rob   :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Way to go Rob!!!  Now go get one and take some "hero" pics!  ;)  

Although I like the ones you posted!

Congrats!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©