3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missing......lets be honest here......  (Read 438 times)

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Missing......lets be honest here......
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
....oh man, I'm sure we all miss from time to time but I'm on 3 in a row here! I missed twice during the last week of last years season and missed a Doe 2 days ago! Well, the Doe was on high alert and just rolled under my arrow, pretty awesome to see actually!

How many among us miss a few here and there! LOL!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missing......lets be honest here......
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Spine the next one and add a finisher. Multiple hits on one deer bumps your overall hit rate stat  ;)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:38:00 AM »
Oh oh meee   :bigsmyl:  I missed a real nice buck last year at like 12 yards and to be honest wasent very happy with myself and havent even got to draw on a deer this year but Im sure there is more to come Im hopin to laugh it off this year when it happens.We all do it brother    :jumper:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
There is another thread just like this one today. You're not alone Bro.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
Missed a doe late last season.  Last day of the season actually.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
I've missed a few and killed a few-all part of the game. Turn those misses into hits and all is good again.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
I missed a squirrel last year and already missed one this yeae too! :-) No deer missed with my stickbows yet but it will happen eventually.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Just my opinion, but I don't think threads on high numbers of missing are good for us. Lots of misses suggests lots of wounds as well. There are a lot of things between a miss and a kill - they are not the only end results when an arrow is loosed.

Offline whitetail_downer100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
It happens from time to time.  But a clean miss is way better than a bad hit.
-Captain Logan A. Giger-
USMC
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take... but sometimes thats ok"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Me too, I missed a doe last year.  I missed a 150ish 8 point 3 years ago, that one still stings.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
We all miss.  I've always tried to tell my son that he needs to be so comfortable shooting that he should be the most surprised person in the woods when he actually misses.  I've went 9 yrs. straight without a miss and then had 3 in a season.  Things happen and you are shooting at something that has its own reactions.  We just need to be as well prepared as we can be and take the shots we know we can make and be shocked when we hit nothing but air!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Remember to not pick your head up to see where the arrow is going. Let it get there first.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
If we aint missin now and then we aint huntin hard enough friend.  My last miss was actually a solid hit, I had several yards of clear shooting at a nice deer but managed to center punch a wild grape vine hanging from a tree just about 4 yards before I would have skewered a fat doe.  Come to think of it I was probably aiming right for that darn vine so never mind I never miss and I never lie.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
We all miss, but if nobody is around you don't have to admit to it.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Don't feel bad.  I double lunged the first traditional archery kill that I ever shot at.  It was a deer.  I felt pretty confident.  I at and missed the next two around 20yds.  I practiced more and more.  The next deer was at 30yds.  It was a poke.  I shot the doe turned all the way around and the arrow hit her in the oppisite side hind quarter.  Luckily it cut the femoral artery and she fell about 10yds away.  That was pure luck.  I definately learned that 20-25 yds is my max effective range.  I couldn't believe that she had time to turn opposite the way she was facing.  Needless to say, I had to share my luck story, but also the lesson that I learned about my effective range.  Good luck, and we are all gonna miss.  We just need to take something from every miss.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
3 years ago I missed the same doe twice in a matter of 20 min from a ground blind.  She was'nt more than 18 yards away both times and totally oblivious to my presence.  She did'nt spook when the first arrow slipped underneath her, and simply walked off only to return a few minutes later. The 2nd arrow actually cut hair from the underside of her chest, she did'nt hang around after that.  I kicked myself in the butt repeatedly andf called myself a few choice names.  :banghead:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Just look no further then the moose stories I posted this year. 3 misses at moose. And they are a big target.  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
this topic would be much shorter if those guys that haven't missed a deer posted on it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
Just my opinion, but I don't think threads on high numbers of missing are good for us. Lots of misses suggests lots of wounds as well. There are a lot of things between a miss and a kill - they are not the only end results when an arrow is loosed.
Maybe, but then again I hear about wheelie guys and gun guys missing all the time and wounding deer all the time.

Gee Joe, after your video, I thought for sure there was no way you could miss.

I will be hunting the Family Farm next week near Richland Center.  The big ten point we passed on last year (earn a buck) is bigger and better than any deer we have seen in a few years. There are a few other fine bucks roaming them hills too.

Hang in there Joe, you will connect!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©