3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trophy Doe CONTEST/ UPDATE W/ Winner!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trophy Doe CONTEST/ UPDATE W/ Winner!
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
Rick you are so right about the over-estimation of animal weight.  That is why I ask people to put them on a scale and get more accurate with estimations.  We(my hunting friends and I) have been weighing most of our deer for 10+ years and we live and hunt in Michigan where the deer are genetically larger than average(if they have the chance to grow up) - as a group we are still  looking for the elusive 150+er after being field dressed.  My best was a "UP" doe that dressed 146lbs.  I know they are out there but dang they are rare.  

Today is the opener - good luck to all and please take pride of your does and get weights and photos up here.  I would like to offer a dozen Custom Cedar arrows on a gentlemans contest for biggest doe of the season.  Just be honest on the weight and provide photos.  Does not need to be a certified scale but the doe does have to be field dressed.

Go get em!

Bob Urban

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
I thnk this is the biggest doe I've ever killed...a big Kansas nanny...never weighed tho...

It'll be fun Bobby, I'll get pix of the doe on my scale and a pic of the reading if I get the chance    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Game on.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
120 dressed on the scale last night

Make a life, not a living

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I passed on 2 this morning- neither one would have tipped the scale over 110-115 and both had fawns in tow.  Looking like rain this afternoon, probably headed out to add a few more walleyes to the freezer....
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Nice Jim    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Little BIG man has the edge early - heading out now to try and top 120lbs.  Nice job!!

Bob

BTW Curt - that doe is a Freak!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Gee, Bob...a dozen new arrows for the biggest doe. You just helped me make a decision about how to use my archery doe permit.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline goblism

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
shot a 156lb field dressed doe, first deer with archery equipment back in 2007.  One of my friends shot one that would have probably been in the 150lb range a week ago.  I have trail camera pictures of a couple of bucks that would probably push the 250lb mark live weight.

I didn't actually weigh the doe, I measured the girth since I didn't have a scale at the time, she was 43" but I figure that my numbers might have been wrong so I went with the 41" measurement

http://www.whitetails.com/deer_info/weight_estimation.cfm

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Two years ago I had a Doe that was less then 10 yards from a stand I was in and she looked like a BIG Tick...This was on Thanksgiving day and her face was very Old looking and I could tell her eyes were hazing over...Only saw her this one time and I just passed on shooting at her cause I felt she made it this long why not just let her go...She actually looked like she was bloated and if I missed a heart/ lung shot and hit her Grocery sack she might blow up...She could of still been carrying her young but Nov?Besides she was so ugly I had a buck come in and as soon as he saw her He stopped dead in his tracks through his head up and just shook his head like saying "You the ugliest deer I ever did see" Seriously I ain't 100% lieing some of this story is true...  :scared:

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
My biggest was 154 and taken less than 6 miles from Albany NY

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Just to clarify - I am not in the contest.  I will continue to hunt for a trophy swamp donkey but if(and it's a big if) I get so lucky that I shoot the biggest #2 will get the arrows and I will be happy to deliver.  I am really looking forward to following this thread all season.  I saw a doe and fawn tonight but she was small and the fawn was tiny.  Still got the Elvis leg and everything - deer season is here and I am happy!  Keep the photos coming.

Bob Urban

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
A 130lb dressed Doe is a PIG!  Most people throw weights around without confirming with a scale.

I'm in for the contest, I love whacking nanny's!  Meat for the pot!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
girth measurements dont work well on deer OR fish  ......... 8^) ........... would a girth measurement work on humans ???? ......... LOL......... not a chance
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Got it done this morning in the rain.  had four come in and was fortunate enough to take the biggest one.  117 dressed.

In southern Michigan we can take as many does as we want so I will be after more!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Congrats Bobby!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Went out to check my cameras yesterday. Laura couldn't hunt in the morning so I decided to wait until after 9 AM to check on things since the morning pics on the cameras seemed to stop around 8:30 or so. My first stop was one of my Double bull blinds. As I approached an eight pointer scurried away...not really spooked just sneaking out. Here he is just before I showed up.

When I got home I checked the camera cards and this doe, which is on my hit list (esp. for this thread) had already gone by.

At my other double bull these gals showed up. They are all on the hit list as they do not have fawns but the one closest to the blind in the one I would prefer to take just for you, Bob.

None of them showed up last night. I am not a morning person but this pattern has been pretty consistent, esp, at the blind in the last pic. I guess later this week I'll get up at 4 AM and try to sneak into one of the blinds.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Great pics everyone!!!

Those from Bill are great! Talk about juicy looking deer!

Everybody at my house says congrats Bob! I still say that is one cool bow you got there!  :thumbsup:  

Through the years I have taken some big "swamp donkeys", but never started weighing them until a few years ago. (I got a big game hanging system for Christmas, that has a built in scale.)

I have to check it`s accuracy, maybe using barbell weights. I`ll try hanging known weights and get the readings.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Don - your scale is close enough for this contest.  All the hanging scales are within a pound or two of accurate I'm sure and I am not concerned with that as far as the arrows go.  I just want to promote more pride in hunting does.  Especially trophy nanny's like some of those posted on here.  

BTW Don(Bonebuster) and his family are as good a people as I have ever met in traditional archery.  He and his boys went out of their way to try and get me onto a bear this fall and we had never met other than on TG.  If I did not have to get back to my camp his wife would have made me(us) dinner.  Great great people.  Unfortunately we did not get a bear but it was certainly not for lack of effort on their part.  Just the bears were not cooperating.  Thanks again Don!  Now you and your boys get out there and shoot a big ole doe.

Bob

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
No more nanny's taken?  Come on - there had to be a few over the weekend?  post up some pics.  

Bob Urban

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©