3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trophy Doe CONTEST/ UPDATE W/ Winner!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trophy Doe CONTEST/ UPDATE W/ Winner!
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
20 years ago, a college buddy of mine killed one with a rifle that weighed 155# field dressed-public land in Ga, no less!

She was huge.  Her nose must have been 10" long!

My father killed one 5 years ago that was the second largest I've ever seen.  We didn't weigh her, but she was about the same size as a 3 1/2 year old 8 pointer I killed on the same evening-I'm guessing she field dressed in the low 130's.

Hopefully I'll get a crack at a whopper, but I'll settle for a couple in the 90-100lb dressed range, too!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I want in on this one if mulies count.  I actually have a doe tag this year but not until december. I think I will be hard pressed to beat the 120 mark. On year my dad shot a buck and a doe running togther. We figured the doe out weight the buck when dressed,this buck had an outside spred of 35". I wish we had weight it just to know how big she was. I have only had one doe on a scale a checking station she went 115 and I pick out the bigger one.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
You are in Twitch - again, this is to promote pride in doe hunting and to have a little fun.  If there is enough Mulie hunters out there I will just give out 2 doz for best in both classes but you are in for the whole deal either way.  Good luck
Bob

Now if someone asks to enter a cow moose or elk I am going to have to draw the line   :nono:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Come on Bobby! I was hopin for the moose one    :biglaugh:  
Looks like I will have to hunt the extended for muley does this year, your on Jimmy   :)  

Don't know the weight, but it was a lot LOL!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I was going to ask if our Blacktail does would be ok. I got a tag and am going next week. I do not think I could find one that heavy, but would like to try, what the heck.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
RX - yes on the Blacktail.  Sorry Steadman but that's a darn nice cow you got there.  Really I wouldn't mind except that the contest would be over before it starts.  
Bob

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I`m trying hard to get a deer in range of SOMEONE at our house!!!

My oldest son came close on monday night, but it was too alert to shoot he said. (a true swamp donkey too) He could tell she was "wired". He has yet to drop the string on a deer and miss. He is fifteen and has shot three times...and killed all three.

Winds are swirling and changing direction here.
Michigan "swamp donkeys" are well schooled in the art of human detection.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Well, they are not all that hard to kill if  you just happen to be where they are when they are there, too. Here's the one I want to shoot for Bobby's contest. Ten yards from my Double Bull, nice sunny  morning, broadside....what's wrong with me?  I know....I wasn't in the blind.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 09:10:00 PM »
3 for 3 - that has to be some sort of record - and not misses.  Hope you did not Jinx him Don  :)

Get out there and get that big nanny Bill.  

Keep this thread going guys and gals  -  shoot with your bow and then yor camera!

Bob

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm hoping to head home to WV next week and if the good Lord is willing and I do my part, then I'll be posting on this thread.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
any more does fall this weekend?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Back about 15 years ago I worked at a shop where we had a contest for biggest deer by field dressed weight. We had separate catgories for rifle and bow.

A fellow brought in a doe that weighed right on 140 less the weight of the arrow. I say that because he had spined her from a tree stand with an 80 pound compound and he could not pull the arrow out.

Our northern whitetails are big bodied deer and I got so that a buck that weighed 200 was just kind of ordinary. The winner was 242 as I recall.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I think Bill needs to set his alarm clock.  :readit:
Jeff Couture

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
You can count me in. I took a doe with my recurve in the early doe season here in MI... but she only went 100 lbs. dressed, not enough for this contest, but I am not done either  :D

Heaviest do I have taken went 115 lbs dressed... those old does are some tough critters to fool!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by luv2bowhunt:
You can count me in. I took a doe with my recurve in the early doe season here in MI... but she only went 100 lbs. dressed, not enough for this contest, but I am not done either   :D  

Heaviest do I have taken went 115 lbs dressed... those old does are some tough critters to fool!
Yep, never have seen a doe with her head done trailing a buck in heat during the rut.
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
For a teacher sometimes my spelling just sucks. What I meant to type was "doe with her head DOWN".

DDave

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Hey Bob,

I am guessing you would very much prefer that the deer be taken in an ethical and legal fashion.

If not would you please let me know, cause I should be able to shoot a pretty nice mule deer eating crabapples in my yard LOL

DDave

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I sure wish I was a morning person. One problem with the pics I have posted of the big does is that  they are typically around well before daylight and I am afraid of educating them if I get there at the same time they are feeding before daylight. However, this Sunday, the plan is to do just that....get in the blind around 6 AM and stay until 8:30 or 9. We'll see what happens.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
I saw the biggest doe I've ever seen by far..never seen one even 3/4's her size the first part of the season. I was watching a doe and yrling feed to wards me and all of a sudden the doe did a 180 and took her yrling out of there. I looked behind me an the big doe was winding me at about 30yds. I think the other doe took off when she saw the big one. The big one had a yrling with her too. She stood up on a little hump and I could see her full body broadside. Looked like a thoroughbred, long legs, great big shoulders and big wide hindquarters. She wasn't fat, just tall, big framed and built like a buck.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Bill, it ain`t all that cold yet.

Kiss the wife good night, and head to the blind at midnight, and SLEEP there.

Bowhunting requires dedication sometimes.  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©