3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: salt licks for deer and goats?  (Read 229 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
salt licks for deer and goats?
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
will normal salt in the dirt work or are lick blocks from the produce store better?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: salt licks for deer and goats?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
normal salt should work also.
My brothers father in law makes a saturated saltwater and puts it on stumpd so that they will soak it up partially, cant get dragged away and is cheap. should work quite well in youre warm climate.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
I tried lick blocks with donkeys, once. It didn't work; they weren't interested. The wallabies loved it, though.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
I have used the blocks before and they last.Wear gloves when handling it or your hands will get dried out.Mix some household salt with a few jars of peanut butter from the dollar store and freeze it in some foil and throw that in the woods and they love it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
It will depend what is available naturally in your area. Where natural mineral licks are available salt/mineral blocks aren't as effective. I have use both mineral blocks and regular salt with good results. I have heard that in areas where roads are regularly salted(winter) mineral or salt licks are not as effective either, like in some of our northern states.
  I have also found that salt or mineral licks are more effective in late spring and early summer because the moisture contents of plants are high at that time of year and the animals that eat these plants flush out the minerals from their systems and crave the salt/ minerals more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
i can't use salt or mineral blocks cause the hogs root them out and push them down thru the woods!  i buy the granular salt in 25lb bags and pour it on a stump.  When it rains, it dissolves the salt and it saturates the stump and the ground. The animals then lick the stump, roots, and the ground.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Ice cream salt works fairly well also.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
in my area of s.c., mineral licks work great and, from what i've seen on my farm, really enhance antler growth.  the only problem i've found is that mineral licks must be place in red clay.  any other location and the deer will ignore them.  my main mineral lick is hit worked really hard from april to august, then activity slows down.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Out west ranchers use salt alot and it is everywere. The elk and deer will come into traditional salt lick spots long after the salt is gone. In fact I see more deer and elk using the lick sites more after the blocks are gone. The cattle and sheep don't stay as long after the blocks gone. The game animals seem to like it more once the livestock leave,this is just my observations.  In some cases I think it will be more productive once it soaks in the ground,at least at keeping the livestock off. Most out here pour liquid salt/mineral lick prouducts for the same effect. But so many people are doing it now I wonder how effective it really is. This year I know I counted at least 15 spots that had a trail cam with a trophy rock/mineral lick site while scouting. Thats not even counting all the salt blocks for livestock.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Anybody out west use a salt block.  It rains like crazy during hunting season here.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
This is something different but it works. Some game biologist use it to get deer to come to a certain area to study them. Buy a big can of peeanut butter and a can of peanut oil mix them together in a slurry mix and spread it on dead branches or what have you. Wildgame for some reason just loves peanut butter. Something to think about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©