3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you fly  (Read 236 times)

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you fly
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I am flying to Carolina next month to hunt pigs and am wondering what you all do to fly?  Can or do you carry on your take downs and what are the airline policies on broadheads and such.  I imagine you have to put your arrows under but wonder can you put broadheads in a pouch in you bag and keep your arrows with you bow as carry on?  Any help would be great.  Also list the type of gear you use especially if you dont carry your bow on!  Thanks
JT

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you fly
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Bows, arrows and broadheads all go in my checked baggage...not carry-on. Same for knives and anything else questionable. I pack my td bows in a polarfleece bowsock and put clothes around it. No hard case for the bow. Arrows go in an MTM lightweight arrow box which holds 12 easily. This case fits in my long rolling duffel. I carry screw-on broadheads separately and install them after I arrive.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks Kevin.  Anyone else that does carry on.  My anxiety might overwhelm me waiting for my bow to come down the conveyor!
JT

Offline doeslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I have a takedown hard case I put bow, arrows and broadheads in. I then have a bag for clothes. all checkons.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
I put my bows and arrows in my duffel surrounded by clothes.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I have a recurve bow case from 3 Rivers(not the delux model)and it's bomb proof. I am able to get both a takedown longbow and a takedown recurve in there. I also take some schedule 30 PVC with one end glued and one end taped (in case the TSA wants to look in it)to put my arrows with broadheads into it. I can barley fit both of these into my rolling duffle with about 3 changes of clothes and some other gear. So far all that has happened is a broken cap and no damage after multiple plane rides. I always drink a cocktail before getting my luggage both as a superstition and/or to prepare for damage to my bow. So far so good and I ain't stopping that ritual anytime soon  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I fly a lot for work. My work involves archery so from time to time I travel with bows. The last time I flew with a recurve the airlines made me put the limbs in checked baggage and the riser in my carry-on-it was a Sky Archery target recurve.  I would definitely put broadheads in checked baggage and mark them as such.  

I've lost at least 3 sets of allen wrenches because they were in my carry-on bags.  The airlines are afraid I might take something apart with allen wrenches.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Thanks for all this advice.  I see a few coctails in the future.
JT

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Relax brother, it's not a big deal!  I fly with my bow several times a year, many times internationally.  My t/d Pronghorn goes in a fleece sock (disassembled), then into a tube with my arrows, the broadheads are in a small box, all of it inside my backpack.  It all gets checked, you definitely can't take arrows, broadheads or bows into the cabin.  If you're really concerned, mail your bow via FedEx or UPS to your destination, with plenty of insurance!

Lost bags are pretty uncommon these days, but it does happen.  Make sure you have the final destination address and your cell number on a tag securely attached to the bag.  Also, put something, like ribbon, on the handle of your bag to make it easily identifiable.  On my last trip home, one of my bags was mistakenly picked up by another passenger, fortunately they discovered their mistake and put it back on the carousel.  That's one reason I like flying with my backpack, it's quite distinctive.    Lastly, put your toiletries in your checked bag, don't try to carry it on, it's not worth the hassle, TSA is still very strict with liquids and gels.

Good luck with your hunt!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I have the ideal setup for airline travel. It is a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter 2 piece takedown longbow that I take apart, put in a fleece sock that is folded in half, and pack into my 3Rivers deluxe recurve takedown hardcase tube (http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cases+Bow++DLX+Take-Down+Recurve+Travel+Case_c43_s193_p0_i5138_product.html) along with a dozen and a half arrows and maybe a few little odds and ends like field points, hex heads, judo points, stringer, tab, glove, etc. The 3Rivers case is very tough and fits well into my 36" long checked duffle bag. You can also make your own version of the 3Rivers bow/arrow hard case out of 6" diameter PVC or HDPE pipe if you want spend less or need to customize the size. The 3Rivers bow case was just too sweet for me to pass up.

With 2 blade broadheads, you can wrap up several of them in a flat roll using a piece of thin, soft leather and then put the roll into a cheap plastic box or any other handy container. With 3 or 4 blade broadheads, the easiest and cheapest carrier I have seen is a 4" long piece of 6" diameter plastic pipe with foam in it, one end made of cardboard or some similar material sealed with duct tape, and a second end piece partially taped with duct tape to form a hinged flap that is held in place on the non-hinged side with a strap made of leather, bungee or some other type of strap closure. You can get fancier and buy a box of the correct size to put the foam in if it works better for you. The broadheads are inserted into cavities that are cut or melted into the foam. One good idea is to get Styrofoam or some other foam and heat up an old broadhead of similar design to a temperature where you can melt the foam slightly when the heated broadhead is inserted into the foam. This process can create form-fitted cavities for several broadheads.

If you are going to fly somewhere with big, heavy boots, wear them on the plane so you don't eat up lots of luggage space and weight. Take a backpack as your carry-on luggage, along with a smaller duffle bag. You almost always need a backpack for hunting, and the duffle is great for all the small things you want to have handy while traveling or when you get to the hunting camp. I often slip my duffle into my backpack when I am not on the plane to make everything easier to carry. Make sure the duffle has a shoulder strap. I like the ripstop duffles sold by stores like Cabelas because they are light, tough, compact and not too expensive. If I am not going to be walking much or carrying heavy loads, I use a frameless pack (rucksack) to save weight and bulk and to allow the pack to be folded up into any shape or space. If I am going to be carrying a load in my pack and walking longer distances, I like to use a frame pack (internal or semi-internal frame). My current favorite semi-internal frame packs that can be used as carry-ons are the Sitka Gear Flash 32 and the Eberlestock X-2. Various other packs work well too. Pack a change of clothes, jacket, cap, glasses (including sunglasses), flashlight, optics, electronics and personal items in the backpack, and be sure to bring a few little travel size toiletries in a quart size Ziplock bag in case you get struck somewhere without your checked baggage. I also like to make sure I have some foam earplugs and a small mask to block out the light so I can sleep better on long plane rides.

Here's a new hint for traveling light. Books are heavy and bulky, but they are great for traveling where there is no other form of entertainment besides the hunting. Many of the new smart phones allow you to download applications for Kindle or one of the other internet book services so you can read the books on your phone. You are probably going to take your cell phone with you anyway, so download a few electronic books onto your phone and leave the heavy, bulky, paper copies of your books at home. Even if you use your phone to read where you can't recharge it, if you only turn it on for reading, set the phone to airplane mode, turn off all the other applications, and set the phone to its lowest power settings and display brightness (I like to use the white letters on black background at the dimmest setting for the absolute lowest battery drain), the battery will last a very long time. I was able to use my Motorola Droid X to read every night for an hour or two for 10 days, and the battery still had about a 60% charge left. I read a couple of books and didn't have to pack anything extra to do that.

The toughest part about traveling on the airlines is trying to figure out how to get everything you need into the available space, but not to take extra items that you don't need. It is especially tough on hunts where your are expected to bring your own bedding and towels. Fortunately, there are some really great new items of equipment that will help you to do that which can also be used very well for backpack hunts. The one thing I will not leave behind on a plane trip is a hard case for my bow and arrows, because I want to make sure those items are intact when I arrive at the hunting destination. I used to take two bows on every trip, but I have never needed more than one, so now I just take the chance when I travel on the airlines that my hunt will be over if something really bad happens to my bow.  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ed Q

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I have no experience traveling with a bow or arrows yet, but here's a neat, affordable bow case idea made out of PVC:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159126

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Might be worthwhile to get insurance if you have a valuable piece of baggage.  I had an expensive item stolen out of my checked on bag when it didn't make a flight connection.  I went round and round with customer service and got shafted in the end because of no insurance.  "Sorry" doesn't go very far when you're purchasing a replacement!

Ironically, when travelling internationally I've had my stuff go to the wrong country twice, but when it arrived (a week later in one instance) all the contents were intact, but on a domestic flight across the States I had items stolen.  Gotta love the increased sense of security courtesy of our beloved TSA.

Sorry Droptine if I rattled you into taking the bus!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I have had my hunting equipment stolen or tampered with by the baggage handlers several times. Now I put it all into a golf bag with a lock and no more problems. Guess theives don't play golf.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline YankeeRedneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
amar911, good stuff right there. Thanks for posting I work for a airline and taught me a few tricks!!!
I love New York I really do !!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©