3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An Elk Story  (Read 1440 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
An Elk Story
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
This story starts back with custom bow....

I have had a hankerin' for a short recurve bow for sometime, not sure why as I have always been a longbow guy.  I saw The Ambush recurve from Chuck at Two Tracks on a thread and started looking into it.  It's design and profile tugged at me, and soon called Chuck to discuss.  After countless emails, PM's and calls, I placed the order....then the wave of PM's and emails started that had Chuck pulling out what hair he had left.  I could not land on a wood combination, and went back and forth, back and forth and back again.  Finally he said "how bout I just surprise you"

I said (very vaguely)....Sounds good to me...but make sure that is looks this way, and not this way and make sure it has this and is shaped like this...and so on...again giving Chuck lots of good solid direction to follow   :knothead:  

When he was close to finishing it, he asked if I wanted a teaser pic, I declined, but asked that he write "Surprise" on the upper limb.  This was for two reasons, one of course was because the bow to be a surprise to me on wood combo's, but also because of it's small stature, I felt it would aid me in surpriseing critters in the woods...including elk in the then upcoming season.

I had drawn a good tag, had some areas scouted out, had most of the last week of the season off, was excited to get out there!

“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: An Elk Story
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Tuesday rolled around, and instead of having it off, I was in the office finishing up some work  :banghead:    Tuesday evening I was finally setting up camp.  My wife and I decided to drive around a little that evening since it was too late to formulate a hunt.....I thought.

We rounded the corner and to glass a water hole off the hill, and wouldn't you know it a nice bull was having some fun at the waters edge.  I quickly grabbed my bow and down the hill I went!

The bull must have moved on by the time I got there and I never could catch up with him.

The next day called for rain, which I was hoping was a good thing to kick the elk into action!  My buddy arrived at camp and we headed out that morning to a spot I had encountered elk earlier in the season.    Well I believe the muzzleloaders had got there first and the elk were nowhere to be found.  That evening we headed off the hill where I had seen the bull at the water hole and again killed nothing but time. It started to pour rain, and we headed back to camp.  The next morning we headed off another drainage and heard elk immediately.  The chase was on.  As we closed the distance I began to realize my fears....Although they sounded close, they were across the private land boundry and our chase ended soon after it began.

We were a little discouraged to say the least, but had one more spot in mind that I hoped would pan out.  It was a spot I had only scouted once, was a difficult trek to get access, different country than I am used to hunting for elk in archery season, but we loaded up and moved to another part of the unit.

That evening we drove the long haul up the mountain as far as we could go, and followed 4 wheeler tracks the whole way  :mad:    :banghead:  
and hiked in several miles, and followed foot tracks the whole way  :mad:     :banghead:  

My spirits were fading more and more.  About 4 o'clock that evening, I sent out a few cow calls and immediatly got an answer less than 100 yds away!  I called a few more times and he was coming our way.  We quickly looked for a good setup, and just as quick the wind shifted and away he went without us even catching a glimpse of him.....  

After he started the evening off with a bugle that prompted the other bulls in the area and before too long the entire hillside lit up!!  We were surrounded by bugleing bulls, some were more like screaming and our only problem was picking which one to go after!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Jake, sounding good so far. I love the first part about deciding on the bow woods. How long before this goes up for sale?  :biglaugh:  I am just kidding with ya, cannot wait to here the rest of the story!!! Take Care..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Okay, buddy.... Keeper going...

Sounds Like an AMBUSH...  :campfire:    :archer2:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Don't keep us waiting too long... supper is getting cold!!!

Great story.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I am liking this.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
More please! Lol....I cant wait.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
We moved up the hill towards the closest bull, but before we could get there we were met by a nice 6 point that was looking for action.  A couple of cow calls brought him in so fast we could not find a decent setup.  We dove below a small rise in in the terrain and he came right over the top at us.  All we could see were the tip of his antlers as he looked for the cow heard moments ago.  I worked around the hill trying to make a move on him but again the wind gave away our position, and off he went...bugling a farewell.   Not sure if others had many problems with the wind this season, but it was killing me at every turn, swirling like crazy.

We continued towards the next vocal bull, but he was on the wrong side of the fence and all he wanted to do was let us know by screaming obsenaties our direction.  Another bull was bugling in the distance behind us so we decided to act like cows headed towards another willing bull, and that did the trick!  

The bull on private could not stand the thought of some cows moving towards his competition, and over the fence he came towards us.  We set up with my buddy cow calling behind me.  I thought he was still a little ways out, and went to set up in a perfect ambush spot that would bring the bull right by my at less than 20 yds, but when I looked around the oaks, he was staring right at me.  I managed to make like a bush, and he finally continued heading our way.  I was stuck with my current setup which was marginal at best.  As he came into view, he was a little under 30 yds but I was in the open, and could not draw....a 340 class bull walked right by!!  He got past me, and I was looking for an opportunity to draw, but before I could make a move he decided that the situation was not to his liking and away he went, not to be fooled again....

The sun was setting and the night ended with one more encounter with a bull that liked the private land more than the lovable cow sounds we were making.

The next day my buddy had to head down the mountain for some personal business, so I was at it alone.
TGMM

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Great story so far.....keep it coming.
2 Timothy 2:2

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
The next morning I hiked back up the mountain, and right at first light, was met with bulls screaming at the top of their lungs.  They were making sounds I didn't think elk made, and some that made my wonder what exactly my tag was for!  I have hunted elk alot of years but never experinced elk rut quite like what was unfolding in front of me.

I was in the middle of elk like never before.  There were probably 15 or more bulls bugling in all directions around me, with two small herds just ahead that seemed to be challanging each, playing an elk version of king of the hill.  I moved in on the herd on the right and tried to coax the herd bull my way.  He would only come to the edge of the oaks yell at me and head back to his cows.  I knew I had to make the move into his territory like I was ready to fight.  As I snuck in closer to his position one of his cows caught my movement, busted and took the herd with her 80 or so yards further up the hill.  I chose to let them be and go after the other herd to my right.
TGMM

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Oh boy    :clapper:    :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
:campfire:  Where are the pic's?  :dunno:    :D
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Not 10 min later I was face to face with a decent 6 point that came storming into my calls, not 4 yds from me, he locked on my position due again to a pour set up.  He came in so fast all I could do was jump behind the nearst bush and hope it worked out.  I tried to get drawn in hopes he would give me a shot, but he spun headed away from me.  I stopped him with a cow call and sent an arrow on the way.  The shot looked good but a little high, and not alot of penetration.  

I followed his tracks off the hill and found 2 small drops of blood.  I gave him some time and took up the trail, but unfortunatly there was no trail to follow.  I made the shot at approx 8 AM, and spent the rest of the day walking mile after mile in a grid search with not another drop of blood, or dead elk to be found...I was sick!  That is any hunters worst fear and it had just become a reality for me.  I begain to question my hunting decisions, what business I had trying to kill an elk when this all I could produce.  A sad ending to a most incredible day.
TGMM

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Although my head hung low, I had high hopes for the next day.  I buddy Sean was headed back up with me and I just knew the elk would be back at it!  

We woke up early and headed back up the mountain, and were met with a nice bull barreling into our calls before it was even light enough to shoot!  He came in to 30 yds and all we could do was watch his sillohette bugle and bark as he melted back into the darkness.

The next part of this story is still a little hard to believe, and I was there!

Sorry for the lack of pics, but I just was so busy trying to keep up with the action...here is one that needs no explanation.  The bright TG wraps and feahers leave no doubt about where you arrow goes, very easy to follow and I will be using this setup in the future for sure.

TGMM

Offline Jimscol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Jake: Great story so far.  I hope that you finish before my bedtime.   Jim

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I will do my best Jim...

We moved on up the mountain and as the sun came up, it was very apparent that the elk were the morning type.  In all my years of elk hunting, I have not experienced the kind of elk pandamonium I was about to witness.  We had 3 herds in front of us not 100 yds away, and could not hardly get a call in edgewise.  I literely had to wait for the overlapping bugles to stop so I could try and coax one my way.  I am not sure how may bulls there were, but it was truly amazing.  As we moved in closer, they were screaming so loud and often it was almost too much for the senses to take in at once.  I wish I could explain it better, but let me tell you, it was almost overwhelming! Sounds that elk are not supposed to mak were coming from deep within the oaks, antlers were clashing, bushes and trees were loosing to antlers, and bulls were saying things to each other I cannot repeat on this forum.

We split up a little and moved in on the mass of elk, trying to keep from being detected with all the eyes around.  A spike and some cows caught some movement, and pushed the middle herd a little further away.  

A couple of minutes later, I had a nice 6 point coming my way, but for some reason, he turned and moved on to my right despite my best efforts to keep his attention focused on me.  I moved left and had another bull comeing in, but he moved below me in in my wind.  The herds were steadily moving away from us, so we kept dogging them.  

Then to my right a bugle answered my estrus calls and the game was on.  Over a smal rise came a nice bull on a string to my location.  I quickly set up behind a small stand of oak brush.
TGMM

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
I've been waiting for this Jake, and I think I am going to like the ending.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
The bull held up at about 30 yds out, looking for the cow he heard.  He could either go to my right behind the oaks offering me no shot, or to my left bringing him CLOSE!  I willed him with a quiet cow call behind me and that was the ticket!  Here he came to my left.  I knew that if I let him come to close I would never get drawn without being busted, so when head went behind a big sage brush at 20 yds I hit full draw.  The adrenaline was pumping so much, it was like my little Ambush recurve had letoff  :D  
I held as he passed in front of me, and thought he was going to keep going so I slowly swung my bow with his stride, but he caught the subtle movement, and stopped abrubtly staring right at me!  

He was slightly quarterting towards me offering no shot.  I could tell he wanted to turn and run, and as he did it brought him broadside and I dropped the string.

I saw the shot and it struck him tight behind the elbow, low and slightly quarted away.  He dug in and tore out of there!  I heard a 'plink' sound and the arrow sheered off and flipped through the air.  I had just arrowed my biggest bull to date at 7 yards!!!!!!
TGMM

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
As he took off through the oaks, I heard a crash soon after he went out of view, but was not sure if it was him or not.

I picked up the trail and the blood started to flow.  It led to an opening in the oaks with some scattered flat rocks, and i searched the flat rocks for sign of his next direction.  My buddy met up with me and asked if I needed help tracking.  The bulls were still screaming around us, and we both agreed that he better keep up the chase.

As he left to my right, I looked back to the rocks for the blood trail, looked up to see where he might have gone, and this is what I saw...less than 50 yds from the shot!!!  Had there not been oaks, I would have watched him fall!

I went a little closer....

TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©