3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Northern zone hunting thread  (Read 1685 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Northern zone hunting thread
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
great time had by all, will post pic's tommorow, VERY tired right now! will be at it in the morning!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I saw a total of 5 does this morning in the Happy Valley State Forest.  And numerous rubs, maybe 5 or 6.  They were all over 40 yards out, so I enjoyed watching them feed.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
8 of us and 4 saw turkeys, one missed and Izzy killed a squrriel. did some more scouting today and found the mother load of rubs! will be back at it next weekend.

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Sat 2 days during the week and yesterday morning in Prospect, saw 11 does.  Had a couple within 30 yards, not close enough for me.  Had 5 on the way in on a main trail, 50 yards out and coming, but the landowner decided to walk her dogs then and they headed for the hills.  Oh well.

Sat this morning and evening at camp outside of Boonville, did not see a thing.  Back at it next Saturday.

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Had a blast up there with you fellas, was much needed spiriual medication.Heres some pics.Finally caught up with an ever so elusive Adirondack squirrel.Also found a bunch of bear sign, beech trees clawed up and some poopy.Also saw a newt in a little glade that was nothing short of enchanted.Sunlight burning dew off the forest floor, a nice breeze through the hemlocks, the song of a stream and the sound of geese overhead.The spot had me caught in the moment for sure.Thank God for places like that.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
ya looked right at home there Izzy! spirtual place for sure bro, its what draws me there. was really neat to see you pick up on the game trail by the rim of the shelf. that trail is pounded down by years and years of critters walking that lip of the ridge, an awesome place to sit! i can show ya some beech trees that are scared from top to bottom from bears.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Mr Bear left this right in camp for us!

YIKES or was it Ron W???????????

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Ken,

Had a couple smaller does really push there luck yesterday . I was just enjoying hunting too much to shoot a deer.

Bob

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
your a good man Bob!!!! i'm a hungry man shes lucky!!!! just found a ton of buck sign today.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Saw 7 does no bucks or buck sign.

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Zmonster (Casey) stayed the night on the mountain and he used a hammock that he had used while deployed in the military. was an AWESOME set up and i will be buying one for sure. weighed next to nothing, he set it up in a minute flat and comes with bug screen and rain fly!!! was a real treat to learn a little something new like that!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I'll get up there this week at some point,want another go at the turkeys...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Got a question for you guys up in the NY state, I went hunting in Northern NJ on Saturday. I usually hunt in central NJ, so this is the first time hunting where there are bear and we aren't the top of the food chain. My buddies send me up this trail and tell me just walk slow and keep your eyes open because there are deer that like to hang out along the trail. I start to stalk along the trail and get about 250  yds. from where I started from. I hear something moving further out in the woods and then I see a black patch through the trees and leaves and yes it is moving and getting bigger. The bear walks out about 40-45 yds. from me and stretches across from one side to the other side of the trail. I didn't measure from one side to the other side of the trail but it is long. It takes a lot to intimidate me but I got to tell you, standing there with just a bow, no side arm, no back up while this bear pauses by the trail crossing from right to left was a little unnerving. Let me add, I do hunt in Maine with a rifle and go in and come out in the dark by myself, and there are bear there also but not nearly as many.

So here is the question, how does one sleep in a hammock or even a tent knowing these bruins are walking around at night and they can see and smell and hear better than you, run faster than you and are much stronger than you, and all you have is a bow and no back up.

Thanks for any answer.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Very cool guys, congratulations Izzy, that is awesome.  Is there a link for that hammock?  I would definitely be interested in getting one of those.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Ken you have a special place there! I gotta get back there real soon! Do you think the gobblers you saw today were the same that I had a confrontation with??? 10 more steps and we'd a been eating camp fire grilled turkey.Oh well, a few more days of feasting on acorns and they'll be fater still.  :banghead:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
yes i think it was the same bunch as they were all gobblers, i heard them tree gobble down the ridge from me around 7am when i was in my stand. i used my wingbone call and they came right in. tried to move my feet for better position and the lead gobbler instantly busted me!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
link for the hammock.
 http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
I had one of the Hennessy hammocks and they are pretty cool.  I wish I kept it.  Here are a couple of the rubs I found Sunday:

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Most time the bears are happy to stay away from man. They may sniff around and check out the campsite but as long as you use proper food storage and some common sense they will leave you alone. Backpacking into the Adk's. for years and never had a problem. During bow season it's not legal to carry a back-up fire arm, but I have fishing in the spring.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Great pics Ken. Thanks for the great time. I had a blast. Looking forward to doing it again. It was great meeting everyone. Izzy, Tim, Ken, Chris, Charlie, Ron. I would share camp with these great guys any day.

Ron, Im sorry, but the Widow sold. Had I known you would have been interested, I would have held off. Im sure there will be more. I hear Ken has a few...lol

As for the night in the woods, It was great. Everyone thinks Im nuts, wife included, but that kind of solitude and the music of the woods allows me to decompress like nothing else. After returning from my 3rd tour in Iraq, I learned real fast that there is no better medicine. I try getting out as often as possible.

The Hammock it amazing. I dont go anywhere without it. I carry it in my truck, on my bike, in my backpack etc. You never know when the need my arise. My wife says it makes for a esy meal for the bears. Like a human burrito. lol. She may be right, but if that's the way I was meant to go, then so be it. A least I'll be left in the woods one more time as a pile of bear scat.   :eek:  

The only thing that was slightly unnerving for me, was right at sun down, I unmistakeably heard some distant music. Now I'm in the middle of nowhere, and I know there is NO way it could be from the nearest town, but damn if I didn't hear it. I couldn't make out what it was, but it was definitely some rhythmical sound. I eased my concern by telling myself it was spirits of great hunters past or of a Pow Wow greeting me into woods.

Oh, and then there was the porcupine that wanted to share the camp fire at 5am. Cool looking little animal. Almost comical when I startled him, and he turned and went into a aggressive posture.

Looking forward to doing it again.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©