3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stands - Sit or Stand to Shoot?  (Read 481 times)

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stands - Sit or Stand to Shoot?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks All. I'm going to give the adding height to the seat thing a go. That sounds like a good idea. I'm partial to standing as well but its interesting to see everyones preferences and the rationale for them.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
While I would prefer standing to shoot I have had some physical problems that have "forced" me to set up my stands for what I expect to be a sitting shot. I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back. For several years the pain in my left leg would not allow me to stand for very long. I did the PT thing and got that pretty well under control then had meniscus surgery on the left knee. Now that I can stand for longer periods I have been caught sitting and then found out that when I sit for a while and go to stand that left knee goes "crack"...and it is loud. So I stand when I can but I try to set my stands for that sitting shot because if they come in quietly and they get to within 40 yards and I try to stand it's game over...I'm busted!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
of course, you can always place your stand so that you can shoot (while sitting) at the location you expect the deer to pass, much easier in the thick marsh where I hunt, and keep the stand in the thick stuff so that you have no other opportunity.  That keeps you from worrying about it and keeps the wiley deer from seeing a lot of movement. . .  just raise bow, draw, and  well, tell us !
ChuckC

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
I stand also, never hunted out of a blind, so not sure what I would have to do there.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
I try not to sit at all.  I feel more confident standing.
David M. Conroy

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I hunt from a ground blind and shoot sitting, usually deer are in close when I see them so if I stand I mostly get busted. Hogs are not as tall and with bad eyesight I usually stand to be able to shoot down in the cover.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Standing, but practice both.  You never know when a deer is going to come in and you just can't stand up or you'll be busted.

I will practice contorted sitting shots for this reason.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Sitting for me. I am already sitting when I first se the deer and don't have all the movement of me trying to get stood up.

Bisch

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Both, depending on the situation...I dont take a shot at game from a position I haven't practiced though...
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I am with Charlie and the others who like to stand for more mobility and more natural shooting position.  I also like the extra bow limb clearance I get.  I like to be tight to the tree as much as possible to reduce my outline.  I have been busted too may times setting and sticking out form the tree to much.  I hunt with stick ladders and hang on stands most of the time so I am only up about 16-18'.  I like the shot angle this gives me, but you have to be a little more careful not sticking out of the tree so much.

I find I can lean against a tree with my back flat and feet out a little.  I can do that a long time.  I set for a few minutes to rest and then get back up.  I stand about 80% of the time, but I set my stand so my setting shot is in the best location.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Sitting for me. I am already sitting when I first se the deer and don't have all the movement of me trying to get stood up.

Bisch
x2

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I prefer standing, less of a profile and it allows me to turn without as much visual movement.  Also it allows readjusting angles easier.  I always stand the first and last hour and then alternate standing and sitting.  Can't say I've ever had  a situation where I haven't been able to stand up on a deer but I practice sitting shots just to be sure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©