3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: anyone use straight fletched arrows?  (Read 260 times)

Offline rich e

• Trad Bowhunter
anyone use straight fletched arrows?
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi, Does anyone here use straight fletched arrows? The reason I ask is I have an old Bitzenberg jig, but it has a straight clamp.
thanks for your time, rich

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone use straight fletched arrows?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I like a helical much better, but if straight is what you have you can still use it and just offset the top and bottom of the feathers.  you can still get left or right spin on your arrows with an offset fletch.   :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I have done straight many times, just off-set like was said above to the left or right depending on what wing your use'n. Works fine.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Been shooting straight clamp w/ left wing feathers... like BAB says, offset slightly and you still get spin.

I fuss with bare shafting till they fly true and don't rely on helical fletch to stabilize...and slow the arrow.

Shooting a bit less weight as I age, I don't like giving up anything so the straight-offset suits me.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Been shooting straight clamp w/ left wing feathers... like BAB says, offset slightly and you still get spin.

I fuss with bare shafting till they fly true and don't rely on helical fletch to stabilize...and slow the arrow.

Shooting a bit less weight as I age, I don't like giving up anything so the straight-offset suits me.
Me too!  :thumbsup:  Especially if you use a lot of up front weight and single bevel BHs as they induce rotation as well.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Just a little offset.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Perfectly straight feathers will give rotation. Look at a feather there is a rough side and smooth side. That is enough to cause a pressure differential and rotation.

That said, I still use an offset when I use straight clamps.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Straight clamp is fine, I like the look of helical fletch but it really slows down the arrows. Just offset your straight clamp a bit and you'll have plenty of spin.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I tried straight fletch with no offset one time. My arrows planed so bad with a B/head I couldn't hit anything. A little offset cured the problem, still can't hit anything but the arrows fly great LOL
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I have always place my feathers as close to straight as I can. If my broadheads are mounted straight, the arrows go straight. Field points go straight all the time.

I could tell you the physics of the value of rotation for stabilizing projectiles (varies with the aspect ratio of the projectile--greater the length compared to diameter the faster the required spin, so an arrow might have to spin four revolutions for every inch of travel to be gyroscopically stabilized."

Spiral fletching prevents an arrow from going off course all in one direction. It keeps changing the direction of error.

Archers nearly always used straight fletching until the last 100 years or so.

But who listens to me??
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
I am listening Jim- but straight fletch does not work for me like helical.

Where does the other side of the parentheses go ?

How do you mount your broadheads 'straight'?

Does this work with just one setup or various ones?

What is your set up?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:00 AM »
JamesV ... made my day , I second that.  :D
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
That is all I have used for the past 40 years.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I have both 2 Straight & 1 RW helical Bitz clamps & I like the straight set as off set as I can get better than the helical.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Brian, the ) goes where the " is. Sorry.

I mount my broadheads with hot glue and spin on the point to check straightness. If not straight, heat and straighten, sometimes several times. Then test shoot at box of sawdust. If head planes, adjust, or in impossible cases, relegate shaft to field point practice work.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline rich e

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys, I guess I'll get me some 5" feathers and give that jig a try, I've got lots of old aluminum shafts that the plastic vanes have deteriated so and crumbled off the shafts.  rich

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I have started useing tapered shafts and a straight 4 fletch. Works fine for what i do.  Jim

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
I used a Jo-Jan straight for years and put as much angle on the feather as I could and still get the bone down flat.  My goal was to get the shaft flying as straight behind the point as possible in a cross wind, I found that with a nearly straight feather angle and my wood shafts I saw wind drift and a bit of side stepping with wider broadheads.  It went away with arrows that had more spin.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Jim- gotcha thanks.

I still don't get it. I remember when I really was getting serious about bowhunting for deer- got my arrows shooting quarter sized groups at 30 yards; and my buddy and I decided to try some broadheads and make sure we were ready.
 Well we bought some razorback 5's and neither of us could even hit the backstop of the target; and yet; put on a field point and we could drive nails in.
 So- in a move of great desperation ( OK- PANIC); I called Fred Bear. He might have recognized me in person; but not my name and voice over the phone; but he talked to me for about an hour.
 He would say 'check this' and I would say 'hold on a minute' and check it; and then he would say 'check that' and I would say 'hold on a minute'; and this went on to where he told me to check if the arrows had straight fletch or helical.
 I had no idea what he was talking about- but he explained it to me; and I went the next day to the non-bow guy in the only sporting goods store and got some helical fletched arrows.
 They shot those broadheads perfectly.
So - since then I have always used helical.
 Now you guys are kinda saying the need for helical fletch is a myth....
 I don't get it.
OK - it might take 4 spins in so much time; but doesn't arrow speed have an effect- are you saying that helical fletch does nothing for arrow flight?
    :dunno:    :confused:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Straight fletch for target points (*unless* you have a rock-solid release every shot and then you could go with well-tuned shafts and broadheads).

Helical for broadheads, but it can be as mild or as much as you want - bottom-line the fletch needs to stabilize the arrow in the event of a sloppy release....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©