3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus Stinger Shooters I need some advice  (Read 177 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Magnus Stinger Shooters I need some advice
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I have been shooting stingers for a couple three years.  The broadheads are great, but I am having an issue.  I shoot the 4 blade version and I am not getting a 4 blade exit hole, the exit hole is simply a two blade slit.  

I have tried sharpening the bleeder blades with a redi edge sharpener by holding just the bleeder blade in a pair of vice grips.  I also have the KME Knife sharpener and Broadhead sharpener.  Problem I run in with those is the stinger bleeder blades are really too small to use with those.

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Scott
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus Stinger Shooters I need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I take the bleeder out & hold it with vise grips & use jewelers rouge & wheel to get it were it needs to be...do the same with Phantom bleeders....
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline JustinNC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Scott are they breaking in the body cavity? If not I have no idea?

If so, they're made to snap if they hit something hard, as to not inhibit the passing through of the arrow, allowing the main blades to continue cutting in order to achieve pass through. Can't remember what site it was posted on, but that was the word from Magnus.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Even with them dull not sure why you wouldn't get a four blade hole. They must be really dull.

I sharpen mine with the broad head sharpener. Can't put much pressure on them though due to they bend easily and the angle will be off stroke to stroke.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I take mine out, hold them in my hand, and sharpen them on a sharpening stone, followed by a leather strop. Very little pressure applied.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Scott, I shot the Magnus Stinger 4 blade BH's for awhile and didn't ever need to sharpen the bleeders. I did touch up my main blades on a few, but I know that Magnus sells the replaceable main blade, not sure about the bleeders though?

Sorry I couldn't be more help than that.
I love your arrow wraps by the way, and the price is right too.   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I get a four hole pattern on entry, 4 hole pattern through internal organs, but only a 2 blade slit upon exit.

They are not breaking off.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I have shot them for the last three years. Like was said above, I remove them and sharpen them one at a time. The are very small and may be dulling going through bone ect. Great head killed my bull with one this year. If its really bothering you, you can order replacment bleeders for them and they are razor sharp out of the package.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
with the kme, if you take them out of the ferrul and then use them with the kme, that really gets the razor blade sharp!
Remember that they are designed to break if the encounter any resistance, so that the main blade will still continue to penetrate. So be careful when your field dressing.

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Everytime I shot a deer with them the bleeders got destroyed passing through the body cavity. Magnus will replace them if you send them the broadhead.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
You can buy a 6-pack of replacement bleeders. I re-sharpen the main blades but those little bleeders are a pain---easier to just replace.

But, I've never had a problem with not getting a 4-bl. slice on the way out!?! Been using them since my wheelie days.....
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Yeah,take the bleeders out of the ferrule and put them in the bleeder clamp(strait one) in your KME kit.Mine are razors by the time they come off the extra fine Arkansas and I strop 'em on cardboard.
Have only taken one deer with the 4 blade version,with no exit hole,so I can't comment on that but like Ben says you can get replacement bleeders.I got some from 3Rivers.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Sounds odd if they are not breaking off. My last two through an elk broke off which, I believe is intended. As long as you get two holes, even if it is four on one side and two on the other, you are in good shape. The bleeders will make a mess inside.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©