3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eco Dowels  (Read 210 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Eco Dowels
« on: September 28, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Here's a weird one. Went to the local lumber supplier to pick up a few things after work, when something caught my eye. In amongst a collection of dowels and squares was a set of 4'x3/8" dowels. I've made shafts out of ramin, walnut, cherry, poplar, and oak dowels, but never have I seen any like these.
 They're labeled "Eco Dowels", and the closest thing they brought to mind was a set of Surewood Douglas Fir. Greater runout, of course, but mostly ramrod straight with a nice, showy grain. Really nice stuff. I asked the closest worker what they could be, and he didn't have a clue. Said the woods are never the same. However, he assured me it's a hardwood. Sure could be; it's somewhat dense and about 100 grains heavier than my 80/85 firs. I've just never seen a hardwood shaft this naturally straight or with as prominent a grain. Let alone a hardwood dowel.
 So, any ideas on what wood these are? Anyone worked with these? Thanks guys...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eco Dowels
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Ash has a very prominent grain....

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
The gentleman I talked too said ash was a possibility. It is pretty heavy; about 600-grains for a 31" shaft. A real nice white wood with amber colored grain. I want to see how it takes a stain. It's just so super straight; if I didn't know any better I'd say someone straightened it before they arrived at the dealer...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Well, I just chucked up the dowel in a drill and sanded the nock end to 11/32" before cutting the taper with a hand taper tool. Cut real easy; the same tool bites and tears at doug fir, not to mention any hardwoods I've used. Does ash cut fairly easy? If not, the mystery continues...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »
Ash is fairly porous. It stains pretty well. There can be "hard spots" on the open grain that don't want to take stain too well though.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
Poplar?
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
Most of the doweling around here is made from white oak or birch.
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©