3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your First TradBow  (Read 4963 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your First TradBow
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
My first bow was a 1969 Bear Cub, 48#. Shot Bear cedar arrows tipped with Razorheads.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
My first "real" bow was a "Red Bear" fiberglass recurve. I shot my first squirrel with a Bear cedar arrow tipped with a green Bear Razorhead out of that bow.....I believe I was about 8 years old.

My first "Big Game" bow was a 1960's 50# Bear Alaskan,shooting Bear cedar arrows tipped with green Bear Razorheads,carried in a backquiver.   :archer:  

Those were the days Cody.....Enjoy your youth Little Brother!!!!!

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a martin super diablo (zebrawood).  I got it in 1992 when I was 16, but got it 65# and was way overbowed.  Kept it a couple years was totally in love with trad archery.  Finally sold it, and got something the right weight and never looked back.

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Martin x-200 #45.The inaspiration for the obsession.I still love shootin it once in a while.Got it a couple years ago for my bday.Funny you should mention it cause I just dug er' out today to tune some new shafts with it for cold weather hunting.
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline BarryOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
A fischer price set that kindled my passion as a kid, then it was the oak selfbow I made after I had had enough of compounds.

Offline BowBrain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Ben Pearson H70 58" 45# @ 28" in 1969.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
York cadet 30#@28" My dad got it for me fromWhiffen Archery.I was 7 years old. Man I miss my Dad.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Steve P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
First year I was old enough to have an archery licence I hunted with a 68" Root recurve,44#@28". Up til then a green fg recurve (Indian?).

Steve

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
Mine was a Tim Meigs longbow all green glass 65#@28.  Bought it from Ron LaClair in 1980.  It kicked like a mule but I loved it (didn't know any better  :)   Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
First was a fine piece of lemonwood in shop class,nobody there knew diddly bout bows,shaped it down nice,bent it over my knee to check the limb flex and SNAP  :banghead:  ,then a green glass recurve I bought for $5,then a sleek 52" Pearson Mach 1(still got that one). Stacked like hell but I thought I really had sumpthin,never liked short bows since.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline styckbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
A 55# Jerry Hill long bow was shooting a 70 # compound so I thought 55 was a good starting wieght boy was I wrong 3 months later I bought a chekmate Falcon and sold my compound and haven't looked back
Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds, keep the warmth of the summer sun in your heart and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Offline bsh_jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
First "real" trad bow was an American Archery Cheetah special hunter, 45# that I got from a yard sale for basically nothing.  I don't know how many people have been introduces to recurves or bow fishing with that bow since then.

Brannon

Offline vizsla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
brown fiberglass longbow hand me down from big brother to young to rember maker  we bought bowstrings from hardware store they had 1 loop and were brown hemp you had to  tied the other loop in they were in a glass case next to the dasy bb's

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
A ten dollar yard sale recurve, I was nine yrs old. Very dark wood, 62" long, and probably 45 lbs. Not a letter or a number on it anywhere.
It shined like the stock on a Weatherby rifle.

It shot ANY arrow I had like a lazer beam. When we went "up north", I carried it around like a pet.

Never leave your bow in a hot car.

Offline Wapitidung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »
A Bear Recurve.  Sometime back in the 60s'
Apprentice - GoodWill Industries ProStaff

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Little wood bow and some suction cup arrows at the age of 3. Still miss the innocence and wonder of that first experience.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:00 AM »
Also had hickory bow and suction cup arrows at about 3. Then bought a bigger hickory bow. about 18# when I was about 10. 1958
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
1948-Ben pearson? Lemonwood, found in basement of house we moved into. Then a Bear Cub around 1954.
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
i can't remember the name of the first bow i used as a kid, but the first trad bow i bought for myself was a Martin Dream Catcher, 55# @ 28"... still shoot it sometimes just for old time sake.
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©