3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots off an arrow rest?  (Read 673 times)

Offline jwbharper

• Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots off an arrow rest?
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I figure most people shoot off the riser but I am curious if any one uses some sort of an arrow rest.

Do you think using anything besides the riser or your hand takes away from the experience of shooting a traditional bow?

FYI, I am shooting off a a little arrow rest and shooting well but am thinking of taking it off and shooting off the riser. Any idea how much accuracy I would lose?
John Harper

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots off an arrow rest?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I shoot off my own homemade feather rest. It's only slightly elevated due to the bed of feathers. Works great.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm using a new design plunger style springy rest on the recurve I'm hunting with. I love it. In fact, I'm having a Schafer Silvertip made that will be drilled to accept this plunger-style arrow resst.

I think my set-up is more forgiving with this style of rest and definitely more adjustable.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I've got a Bear Weatherest on my ILF setup and it improved my arrow flight dramatically.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I shoot off a rest. It seems to me that I get better arrow flight, better groups and my kill ratio is way up since I put one back on my bow. One thing I found is that when I was shooting off the shelf there were some broadheads that were very tricky if not impossible to shoot well. Shooting off of a rest has taken care of that and every braodhead I have I can shoot well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
"The arrow MUST be as close to the hand as possible for accurate instinctive shooting" is the biggest old wives tale in traditional archery as far as I am concerned.  Your brain doesn't care if you shoot the arrow off your knuckle or off a rest 1" off the shelf.  Every single bow I have added an elevated rest to (not just my own, but other friends as well) has had improved arrow flight and resulted in much easier tuning.  You are not going to be any more connected as long as one hand is holding the riser and one hand is ON the string.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
It has proved to be a great addition on my longbows. I have not noticed it so much on my recurves though.

Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Paul Schafer himself was a "rest" guy. He was one of the "kings" of all trad guys.
 I'll shoot both but prefer a rest, very simple like a stick on hoyt plastic rest. But I shoot olympic syle bows too, with plungers and magnetic flipper type rests. DEADLY accurate. From a treestand, I like off the shelf, canting downward is easier for me when I don't have to worry about the arrow slipping off a rest. In other words...I switch back and forth all the time! Its fun.
David M. Conroy

Offline Big Riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
T-300 rest great rest
Frank

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I either shoot off a feather rest or the shelf.  I agree your mind should be able to adjust to either method.  

I could see some logic in a rest having less surface area contact with an arrow vs some shelves and thus less of a chance in magnifying imperfections in arrow surface or flight movement as it passes over the rest.

I still prefer wood shafts on feather or shelf.

This thread is inspiring me to pick up one of those old bear rests and stick it back on one of my early 70's Grizzlies and give it a whirl though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline jwbharper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Would you guys be will to post a picture of your rests? Especially those that have unique set ups.
John Harper

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Steve O hit the nail on the head. You'lll get much better arrow flight and should improve your shooting. I used them on recurves back in the 70's and they were very popular then.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Switched to a rest a few years ago just to experiment shooting vanes. Haven't taken it off since (Bear weather rest on a Schafer recurve). Seems to me it is a little more forgiving.

Offline WPAtrapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Feather rest for me. I seem to get better arrow flight that way.
60" RER LX 46@28"

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Flipper rest on my Recurves. shelf on my longbows

><>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Very interesting subject, hopefully it keeps going.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
I agree with Steve O.  I don't think a raised arrow rest hinders instinctive shooting.  At least for me, my accuracy has improved with an arrowrest (Bear Weather-rest) and my arrow flight is improved.  My rest makes a bit more noise than shooting off a sealskin or calf-hair shelf. Any suggestions to quiet down the rest?
Ward

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I shoot instinctive, never had a problem with a rest in any way. I have bear weatherests on several bows, a couple of T-300, a flipper and magnetic flipper, both with a plunger button. I also use the older bear whisker rest, or as my buddy calls it a 1968 Whisker Biscuit rest.  I think you will find you get much better arrow flight on all your bows with a rest, and will be able to shoot a large variety of spines/weight shafts without too much difficulty, and your whole set up will be more forgiving.  I had a buddy who was about to quit trad, shooting off the shelf. I finally convinced him to try a stick on bear rest, solved 90% of the problems he was having with his shooting/tuning. He now keeps 6 extra rest in  his toolbox.
samuel koger

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
I am slowly adding the Bear weatherrest to just about all of my bows. I get better arrow flight, but I like to shoot with vanes instead of feathers, vanes are quieter. When I am breaking in my weatherrest I shoot about a hundred arrows or so to get a groove in the strike plate, once that is established I put teflon tape on the strike plate then on the flipper. I would post a picture but I can't seem to figure out how to add one, with this setup it is quiet enough for me.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I just read my post and didn't explain the teflon tape, the teflon tape makes for a MUCH improved draw and release. Less Drag!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©