3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finishing an Arm Guard (w/ pic)  (Read 734 times)

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
Finishing an Arm Guard (w/ pic)
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
I decided to redo an arm guard I made a while ago - I like the design (its modeled after an old picture of 'Chief Bear Cut Ear' ) but I wasn't quite happy with the finish.
I used an antique stain, but never liked the way it turned out....
I wore it hunting all last year anyway... which gave me plenty of time to wonder how I should have finished it instead   :rolleyes:  

I've made a few of these before, but have always just finished the whole thing in one color stain and relied on the tool marks to define the image.  But that ends up washing out alot of the detail.
So at my brother's recommendation, I painted walnut stain into the tool marks.
I wanted even more contrast, so I removed the finish on the headdress, the beadwork, and the leather straps by scraping with the flat of a razor blade and then painting the headdress and the beadwork with ivory craft paint - I know, probably not the right material to use, but its what I had handy and once I get started I'm usually too impatient to stop and find out what I was supposed to use   :knothead:  

This is how it turned out:

So my question is:  will the craft paint will hold up?  (I  think  it soaked into the leather enough)  and what is the best finish to use???

Oh, and I guess I should ask:  what should I have used for color?????

(I tried to check with the leathercraft store here, but he's closed for the next 2 weeks)

Any info is much appreciated!
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finishing an Arm Guard (w/ pic)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I can't help you with your questions, but I'm sure someone will be able to.  But I do know that is one beautiful piece of work!  :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
Stunning!!!   Thanks for sharing this with us.......Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
You captured what you needed and your colors are great. Use just enough for CLASS.  :thumbsup:  Excellent job!!

Chort

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
I'm no help with your questions either but I sure do like the overall effect!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
I have made a few arm guards and I burn the image with a wood burning tool. I tried a poly spray from a can, and it seemed to work.

Take a piece and paint it and try. Good luck. Alan

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
I've used Tandy Super Sheen and a product called Neat-Lac as a coating on finished tooled and stained leather holsters and belts, etc. I've made, and have had good luck with both.  I have no idea if they would be compatible with the craft paint you used, but you could put some craft paint on a piece of scrap leather, let it dry well, then put a few coats of Super Sheen or Neat-Lac on it to see what happens.  That way you wouldn't have to risk your arm guard to see if it works.  (Very nice work, by the way!)  

I've never been one to use paints on my leather work, but I know it can be done as I see it sold in leather catalogs, dealers, etc. and it seems to mostly be acrylic paint.  I've seen it recommended to not using Neat-Lac on acrylics and they suggest Super Sheen (it was Tandy recommending another Tandy product though!).  The best thing would to buy some of either and try it on a scrap piece you've painted with the same stuff you used on the armguard.
RonP

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the info (and the compliments)
I'll experiment a bit and see what seems to work...

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Like some of the others I'm no help when it comes to your questions. But I still had to post to say Wow! that is some really nice work.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
JasonV, nice job on the armguard.....looks GREAT

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the kind words.
All of the positive feedback encouraged me to do one for the St Jude's auction.
I just finished the image - still need to lace it etc, but I wanted to get the post and picture in before the deadline.
It looks like this:

Gonna go post it on the St Jude's Forum now.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 02:50:00 AM »
Very nice Jason! You an use just about any paint but the easiest is ackrylics. You just have to make sure not to use an oil based sealer...and dont use the liquid sealers....because you can wipe right off all of the work you just did...trust me i know!   :biglaugh:  

The super sheen spray is the best stuff i have ever found. It will work over any paint you use as long as it is completely dry. I put on 5 light coats and the great thing is that when your guard gets some marks on it all you have to do is put on a few more coats!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Lance.  I'll try to swing by the leather shop today and pick up some super shene.
This is the first I've tried adding any paint - I've only used it on surfaces that I've "sanded" with the flat of a razor blade (because I was re-doing some work I wasn't happy with) - for new work, can I just paint over raw leather, or should I 'sand' the surface first?  How about over an area that has been stained, but not yet finished?

I really appreciate the advice.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
That's awesome looking work there Jason. Sure wish I wore an armgaurd...course, that would look mighty pretty just sittin on my desk.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Jason, you paint your design or picture after you stain or dye and that has dried completely and then spray on your finish....no need to sand the surface at all. Go look at my homepage...all those were done with ackrylics.

and JC you wear em just cause they look cool! You only need em to hold down a sleeve because if you are smacking your arm your doin something wrong! I have been wearing one for so long i feel naked without one!!!   :thumbsup:
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline JasonV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Wow - some beautiful work there Lance!

Thanks for all of the info - time to go experiment a bit.....

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Beautiful!!
When I was in the cusp between high school and college, I made a leather medallion that was painted with acrylics. I wore it for years around my neck before finally giving it away. I forget exactly what the clear goop was that I sealed it with. Mighta been some commercial decoupage stuff that I was playing with at that time.

Your skills just keep getting better. Every time you post, there is something well worth looking at. I'd click on ya even if I had dial-up!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©