3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Southwest Oklahoma?  (Read 160 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Southwest Oklahoma?
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Well, I hadn't planned on it when I got down here in May, but I couldn't stand the thought of spending a whole the whole month of October without any bowhunting, so I went ahead and got an OK liscense the other day.  

I'm at Ft. Sill for a few months of TDY training and brought two bows with me.  I've been shooting in my hotel room in the evenings after work, but I'm going to be here untill the end of October, so I went ahead and got a liscense since we have weekends pretty well free.  Does anyone have any suggestions for deer, hog, etc down here?  It seems there isn't just a whole lot of public land around.  I'm thinking of heading over to this Sandy Sanders WMA this weekend to look around.  

Let me know what you all think.  Or if you just want to get together and shoot that would be fun too.  Gets a little anticlimatic shooting across the width of an army hotel room every day.  Even standing on the bed and shooting into the target in the bathtub to simulate a treestand gets a little old.   ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Southwest Oklahoma?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Daniel,

I have heard there is some pretty good hunting on base at Ft. Sill. I have fished it with a buddy, but never hunted it.

Sandy Sanders is good. You can even do a little western style spot and stalk from some of the high spots. Take a look at Mountain Park. A smaller area but good deer country as well. I'm fairly sure it's an archery only area (better double check me on the regs). It is closer to you there in Lawton.

Welcome to Oklahoma, hope you enjoy your stay!

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Claypipe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Hello Sweeney3, my name is Travis Gabbard and I live in Elgin.  I drive a truck but I should be home this weekend and if you want to shoot we can get together.  I will shoot you a p.m. with my phone number and you can give me a call.  Talk to you later, Travis aka Gabby.
I love animals!  They're delicious!

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
About halfway between Ft Sill and Altus AFB there is public hunting at Tom Steed Resivoir.  At least it was public 15 years ago.  Guessing it is about 45 miles from your location.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Okie man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
There is a new public hunting area but it is in northwest OK called Cimarron Hills.  It offers a place for primitive camping and 3800 acres to hunt.  Last Saturday, "Outdoor Oklahoma" aired a show about it featuring 2 trad hunters.  Both hunters saw deer but none close enough for a shot. It is a pretty remote area by OK standards.  Ft Sill should have someplace to hunt but watch out for those copperheadedrattlemoccasins. They're everywhere down there.
When the moment of truth arrives, the time for preparation has passed

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I'd try to figure out how to get permission to hunt on the bases property. Last year, after returning from Lawton one morning, I saw a single bowhunter walking on some Army land. It was just where the turnpike turns North eastward towards OKC, right past that Indian headquarters. Can't remember what tribe. I have also seen lots of deer between that headquarters and the Polo field on the west side of the highway. I'll bet there is some bowhunting to be found somewhere, just need to talk to the right people!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Sandy Saunders is a good option.  While its dry, drive it out.  Does have rattlesnakes in abundance though.  White tails and a few mulies.   Turkeys too if they have a season.  Good luck.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips folks.  I am ready to head out to Sanders ASAP tomorrow and stay untill Sat night or Sunday am before church.  

I know there is good hunting on post.  There always is.  Drum was that way, as was Riley. I just have a tendency to never feel "at ease" (pun intended) on post.  I have a personal policy against doing anything for recreation on post.  I guess it's part of keeping work and fun seperate maybe.  I'm not really sure.  I just know that I'm never really relaxed on post and am always looking over my shoulder.  That and trying to do anything with the army is a beaurocratic nightmare, including going bowhunting.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking out the WMA this weekend.  I'll be here untill the end of the month, so I'll probably get a good look at it and Mountain Park at least.  Thanks for all the help!!
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©