3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tonight I am going to try my ghillie suit update  (Read 465 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tonight I am going to try my ghillie suit update
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
You have to realize that whitetails are homebodies.When they are traveling in their core area,those places they travel everyday,they know every tree,every stump,every bush.If a new "haystack" appears next to their trail,you are going to see a whitetail turn inside out.And they won't forget the experience.You will have to move your ambush site and it's appearence before you have a prayers chance at those same deer.

I don't know if the spot allows it but,as others have said,I think if you were backed up to a big tree,blowdown or something else you could blend into,the ghillie suit could have done it's job.I think you added an obvious change to the terain that they knew shouldn't be there.

Go look at Big Jim's video on the "Bush in a Bag".As big as that guy is,look how he becomes part of that tree.He didn't sit just anywhere.He found an object big enough to blend into.

Whitetail does spend every waking moment trying to keep themselves and their fawns alive.They are probably the toughest big game in North America to take,once they get a few years experience.Don't take them for granted.The ghillie suit is an amazing thing but you still have to work it into the landscape.

Imagine if you came home from a long vacation.You open the front door and there in the living room is a pile of dirty clothes and muddy,size 15 boots-none of it was there when you left.Muddy tracks going down the hallway.What is your first reaction?An adrenaline spike,your hairs stand on end and you back the heck out of their.

That's what happened to those deer.

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
There is a few spots on the trail where I could get some cover.  I will not sit in the same spot again.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Look into that bow ghillie add on.    Guru and Mud were both playing with it earlier in the year.  I think that will be a very good addition.  I will make one before I go out in my ghillie again.
ChuckC

Online wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Okay, any directions on a bow ghillie?  I have some materials left over from the suit build.

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
What JimB said. Not necessarily that the suit is not working, its just doesn't make you invisible, you still need to blend in. They would react the same to a log being placed in an area they are familiar with.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
It smells new to them!

You have to get cover behind you......
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
just go to guru's ghillie suit build-along in the how to forum, everything you need to know is all there.
good luck!!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I can attest, it's no magic bullet.. But it can work magic... It helps break up the human silhouette outline and helps you blend in... but it's strength is to help you blend into the background and I truly believe it's a matter of having depth!!!

Sitting in a grass field you may have looked like a outta place bush that moved.... Slip back up the trail a ways look for a good spot down wind of the trail and see what happens???
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
Back cover is imparative and you have to be still. Good luck.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I got a coyote last week useing my ghillie suit and had my back up aginast a 4' diamiater maple tree with nothing in front of me. I think your back cover is more important than whats in front of you.When I shot the coyote he was 3 yards away from me, but i saw him coming so i had time to get ready.

doug77

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I've backed up into a cedar, sitting on a DB chair and sat dead still. I had rabbits playing all around me, making noises I've never heard, squirrels all over, but deer winded me and never came in closer than 60 yds, neither did the hogs. Oddly enough I could get away with lots of small movement, and finally stood up when it was too dark and the skeeters moved in. Until I took a full step, nobody even noticed. Ghillies work. Wind rules though.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©