3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa opener tomorrow  (Read 1394 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iowa opener tomorrow
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
does this count

doug77

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
It was nice to be in the woods, but where I hunted with my sons, the deer were staying in the cornfields for the most part. My oldest took his first archery deer (a doe), but he's still using training wheels. It was still exciting helping him trail and field dress his first deer. My youngest son and I shoot traditional bows, but nothing offered us a shot. It still beats just about anything else we could have been doing. I don't get too excited until late October anyway.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
That counts doug77!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Nice work Doug!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:00 PM »
Nice shoot on the yot.. I've been seeing lots of coons and small game also ,lots are way before dark. I 've seen several little bucks and deer no good ones yet. Good luck everyone. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Went out this AM  to fill a doe tag and all I see is little bucks under my stand.

doug77

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
I made good on a 17 yard shot at a Big Mama Friday mourning  :archer:  

I seen her go down so I called my wife and told her to get David ( my 4 year old ) ready to trak his first deer

Boy he was pumped and tracked like a pro  :goldtooth:  

It was my first critter with my Balck Widow and couldnt be happyer!!!!

He was full of questions and as I started to gut her he asked why I was doing that........I said so we can make meat out of her like the meat we have in the freezer.  He looked a little closer and said  " Ohp Yep I see some deer sausage "  :laughing:      

David seen some flys starting to buzz around and decided it was his job to keep them away  :deadhorse:  

He did a good job!!!!!

It was a good day and Im hopeing to take him out on his first outting in the fall woods this weekend!!
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Nice doe! And some great pics. He will remember that for the rest of his life!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
Nice Yotty Doug  :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Hooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Nice to see you got your little man to help you track down your doe, that's great!! Congrats!
Black Widow PSA III - 59#@31
Black Widow PSR III - 53#@30 1/2
Holm Osprey 62"- 55#@30"

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Congratulations on a nice doe! Seen nothing today but killed a Pope and Young Mosquito tonight at dusk.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Very quiet hear this AM. Hardly even heard the birds. We will see what happens toninght

doug77

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I shot a doe in youth season now ready for a nice buck in this season  :)  good luck to all!

God bless.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I think all the deer went underground, didn't see any deer tonight either.

doug77

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
Doug ,be sure to scout, the deer are on the `Red Oaks` acorns. Get there before their all gone, they won't last long ,and then they move on to the next tree dropping. good luck Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
I've been tied up with work around the house......but..... tomorrow morning!    Depending on the wind, I have a date with either a big white oak that dropped a truck load of acorns or an apple tree who's branches are sagging with load.  All this rain definetly had an impact on mast this year.  Can't wait to finally get out.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I have acorn issues.  My timber is full of Oaks.  The deer do not have to go far to get acorns.  They seem to travel the same trails out to the beans this time of year.  It just takes them for ever to get to the field because they eat acorns along the way.  I plan to move a stand today further down the trail to go with all these south winds.
Had a great doe 30 yards broadside on Tuesday night.  I just don't take 30 yard shots on deer.  I can hit her fine, just not 100% I would get a double lung with my little draw.  Was hard to watch her stand there:(
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Not very many Oaks in the ditches where were hunting this month. But lots of beans around them to be harvested any day. Since my wife (Greywolf) is still suffering injuries due to her breaking her leg in Jan she can't walk very far. She is dying to get out there. So yesterday i scouted a place fifty yards from were we park down in the thickest brush on the farm. I knew the deer cross the road into it so i found the main trail and walked it until i found three more trails coming into it. Off to the side i built her a cozy little brush blind so she could shoot where they all meet. I cut a lot of little trees down at the ground level so as not to show i did too much. Than i made her a trip proof path down into the lair to the blind were all the trails meet. Than for a extra bonus i made a monster scrap with over hanging branches. Sprayed what needed it with scent killer and added our special scrap juice (two MT Dews strained through Mr Vic, some doe pee, an buck pee)to the fake scrap. And left it to air dry out. This morning i snuck into it to give it a run. About 7:35 hear a snap and looked towards the entrance from the field to the lair. A huge doe was coming along checking out the newly made corridor of death. I let her live so Greywolf can harvest her first deer with a bow. Than at 8:30 i heard Buck grunts down in the bottom of the ditch, but he was a no show. Looks like all systems go for that spot. Now bring on Harvest and more cooler weather.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
Good husband Vic!  Can you call Bryce and give him some ideas:)  I would pass out if my husband built me a ground blind.  He does hang my stands!
Heading out in the a.m. in hopes of filling a doe tag.  Will check in later.  
Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
warm enough for you iowa deer hunters

doug77

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©