3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Iowa opener tomorrow  (Read 1390 times)

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Iowa opener tomorrow
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
This is a good begin.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
A pick for all the Iowa hunters

For the story see the Razorcap bloodtrail

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Nice Buck Doug !! What a way to end October. I been hitting it hard down here and finally seeing deer. Had numerous does under me a few different times and had a monster coming in to me but of course a doe got all the attention and off they go. Moved my stand where they been coming out into the picked bean field,  but seems my sights are set on him and letting does walk, for now. Had two does within three yards of me and they had no clue. Pretty darn cool if ya ask me. Last night i watched five small does and two button bucks walk by. On the other end of the field three nice bucks where messing around with each other and right at dark here come the one i want. He got within fifty yards and stood out there in the bean field teasing me. I snuck out under darkness without spooking them. This morning it was 26 degrees out and quiet. One nice buck crossed the bean field and that was that. At 10 am i decided to scout out the end of the bean field, and found three huge ground scrapes and a few rubs. I moved a ladder stand by them and across the small cut i put my wifes portable blind brushed in. Tonight three of us will be laying in ambush for one of those big boys.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I look forward to hunting a Hawkeye buck one day soon!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
WOW, I would probably choke on that one.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Nice buck, Doug, congrats on the deer. I have the next 9 days to try to get something done. I went today and hung two new stands. The area was tore up with big buck sign, now all I need is a little luck. Good luck everyone, it's time to get out there and "GET UM" !!!!!!  :deadhorse:
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I just got in from my first time out this year, I had 3 does go by but out of range, and a hefty 6 point at 15yds, I didnt shoot even though my daughter was telling me to   ;)  

We were ground pounding it, just sitting on a stump and he didnt have a clue we were there!

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
Well where i put my wife's blind has been the hot spot for two nights now. Friday night she missed the monster i been chasing at fifteen yards. He was chasing a doe right in front of her at last light and just missed him under. Than tonight she was back in the blind and i across the field from her. I watched deer play out in front of her last hour of light. Than at the magic minutes a nice eight point walked out in front of her and she miss again. Might i add that buck fever may have added to the moment for her as these are the biggest deer she has seen and the first she has ever shot at with a bow. As i was walking over in the dark to her MR BIG made his presence known to me forty yards away in the field. But way to dark for a shot. I can't believe they are so tame for this area. Of course i never use a light when walking in or out.
― Aldo Leopold

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Keep after them Vic and I'll bet your wife is having a blast.

doug77

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I have some family in Iowa--I just wish nonresident fees were not so high--but my state charges an arm and a leg from non residents too so I guess that is the way it goes.  I also think it takes a few years to draw--whatever the case I may hunt there some day!  Looks like a great place to live and hunt

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I think the next two weeks things will really turn on.  I haven't seen much at all since the second week of the season.  Going to try some new spots the next two weeks.  I'm hunting completely new areas to me since my wife and I moved in July.
>>>--------->

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Oh man Vic, I am bummed and stoked for Grey Wolf.  Tell her to keep at it!  You are seeing more than me.

Nice buck Doug!

I had a big guy out in the field Sunday night.  I tried my best but could not get him to come in.  I would still like to get a doe for some meat.  Of course I have late season for that.  Missed a nice Tom yesterday.  He was moving fast!

Good luck everyone!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
The honey hole is still playing out. Were seeing some nice bucks and plenty of does now. Two nights ago Greywolf was back in her blind with renewed fire. I was sitting in a stand 400 yards across the field from her. Sitting there i hear something running towards me i turn an look and a nice buck is heading for me doing close to 50 miles per hour. As he passes me by i see a bright purple and yellow feather sticking out the side of him. Low behind the left leg in what i thought was the heart area. Than it dawned on me, she just shot her first deer. I watched that buck hammer down never slowing down for over 600 yards heading for the highway. Than my phone rings, she is saying something but i can't understand her as she is pumped. I get down and look and there is no blood. Long story short 1 hour of tracking/or looking that night and no blood, hair, fluid of any kind. So we come home and the next morning i go out and we spend another four hours looking. Nothing. So i'm thinking it was a very low hit and nothing but brisket. Went out this morning and the wool was definitely needed. Had a young 10 point come within fifty yards and than trot away. We decided to give the area a breather and i moved her blind and my portable stand to the other side of the field. Tonight she watched a small doe play with turkeys and it was uneventful until we walked out in the dark. The field around the corner down in the honey hole was full of deer. So after the sit in the morning, guess where she wants me to move her blind back too?    Katie, Greywolf says if you get bored up there come on down here for a weekend/winter camping out on the farm and you girls will show the men how it's done. Yes, Doug she is having the time of her life, but of course hanging in the field with me is never boring.
― Aldo Leopold

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
need some up dates

doug77

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Anybody?
I have been homebound with an injured father and a bum in the woods.  The warden thinks we have a drifter living in my timber with a shotgun.  So when I do get a break from taking care of Dad, not sure if I want to be in the woods.
Hope everyone else is doing good!
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline brian brooks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Shot a nice one in Mo. on the 9th of Nov. 26 1/2" inside in the 155" areaStill carrying my Iowa tags.Have'nt got a shot at one im wanting yet,but have enjoyed some great hunts.Will post a pic. if i can figure out how to.The new Tall Tines sung a sweet tune for me.Good luck to all
brian brooks

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Hi Katie-

I think your warden needs to get his butt in the woods and figure it out.  

I haven't been seeing a whole lot.  A group of 3 does and one small 6 pt buck have been hanging around the food plot.  A lot of other hunters in the area on the public I'm on.
>>>--------->

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I agree your warden needs to take care of this.
I'm seeing lots of bucks all sizes but the does and fawns are pretty scarce in my hunting spots.

doug77

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Any updates?
I was out of town over the Thanksgiving holiday so my hunting was put on hold.  Shotgun season starts this weekend.  Hope to get out with my bow again before the break.
No word rom my warden on my squater.  I am guessing that he has moved on.  I have found no track of him.  When we get a good snow we will see.  Can't hide prints in snow:)
Good luck to you all in our last week till late split!
Katie

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Came close, Greywolf has been in the hot spot and had close calls and a few misses on some real nice deer. Been a great year better than most, even though we had to do battle with landowners next to us. Seems they think they own all the deer since they bought 100 plus acres next to us. And than want to shoot deer over the fence on our side. Watched a 160 walk across the field for one hour and right up to me, i stared a hole right behind his leg in him for ten minutes. Right after the moment of release my arrow took out a nice little pencil limb hanging out over the field. Last chance i've had to this day on any deer. Than landowner asked us to stay out for the last five days so they can hunt quail, no problem with that since they give us full control of the land the rest of the year. Than weather kicked in, sickness hit for a few days and it's safe to say i'm pretty much done. Greywolf will be sitting in her blind at the honey hole until friday and than the gun season kicks in and you find us hiding indoors until muzzleloading opens. Good luck everyone...
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©