3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting small populated area  (Read 305 times)

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting small populated area
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I have a chance to hunt an area with a  couple of small wooded areas. The question being the area has houses and such on almost all sides.The deer move in and out of the areas at night when traffic flow is slower.If I make a poor shot and remain quiet, will the deer likely hold or is it going to leave the woodlot.I can legally hunt here but it is tight.I never really hunted in such tight areas for deer.Even though I have been bow hunting a long time.Will show a couple pictures from cam.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting small populated area
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
That can't be answered from us.If you make a good hit it may or may not stay in the area.But if you do get a good hit you should have a good trail to follow.After the shot I would leave the opposite way the deer went so you don't push it. Most deer will lay down at some point after a hit.Come back(the same way you left and start from the shot point and track on)2hrs later and hopefully you will find the deer.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Use the biggest broadhead you can tune well (160 Snuffer)and get it razor sharp and place it the boilerroom.
Good luck

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Use what you always have used and make good shots .

This is all I hunt small woodlots around housing developments. More wildlife there than what you think .

My favorite stand was a strip of woods 30 yards wide between 2 wood lots at the end of a housing development backed up by a set of train tracks. What a funnel , that stand eneded when someone bought those 2 last remaining 3 acre lots. A coworker lived there and was tired of the deer eating her vegetable garden and aquired me permsision to hunt there.

I have 2 very unique recovery stories , one ended in a frog pond and the other involved a backhoe on election day.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I have a few of these spots bottom line is you have to make a good shot.The neighbors tend to not like poorly hit deer  :readit:
Jeff Couture

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Track em at 4 in the morning.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Small wood lots can be very productive, however your approach, set-up and exit must be well thought out. Disturbing these deer is extremely easy to do.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I hunted VA suburban deer and some of the practical things I learned about suburban hunting were:

- Don't place your treestand where you can see into a bathroom or bedroom window. If you do, first talk with the home owners and get their permission. This will avoid some embarrassing situations...especially if the police show up.

- contact your local police and verify you are legally in the right should a home owner make a police complaint.

- Don't take any chancy shots, especially quartering toward or away. If you don't think you can put it in the heart/lungs, pass on it. Trailing a wounded deer across private property isn't what you want to do ... and in my State you have to have written authorization by a property owner to track/recover game on private property or be subject to trespass law.

Otherwise, suburban deer are plentiful and people-wise ... a great hunt.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
A poorly hit (or perfectly hit) deer can take off like a scalded cat and it only takes them a few seconds to go a long way.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I hunt a lot in suburban areas, it is best to give them lots of time after a hit so not to push them too far.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
The deer will do what it decides to do. Be as quiet as you can, keep your bow quiet,(brace height, catwhiskers,etc.) and don't make a move after the shot. Do NOT get down, wait an hour if you have to. The deer may circle around a bit if it isn't startled too bad and may be a short distance off. If you spook it, color it gone. A good hit is mandatory as always, but should you make a liver hit, it may need some time to die. Leave it be!!! Dragging a dead deer out of someone's backyard is not something many other neighbors may want to see, and the spot will be gone forever.  Nice deer in there!!! Good luck!
David M. Conroy

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Just remember, your not the only one hunting there. If you have good sign, set up and get on those deer asap or they will be had by someone else.It is New Jersey.  

That place looks familiar..... good luck!

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
thanks  for the input I harvested many deer with my bows...just xtra good advice is very valuable to have

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
thanks  for the input I harvested many deer with my bows...just xtra good advice is very valuable to have

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Also remember in our wonderful state that you legally cannot enter another persons property to track or recover woth out their permission. Maybe you'd better try to gain permission from the adjacent land owners aswell. If you do have an issue with a deer ending up on another persons property ask first then if needed contact the local PD they should be able to assist you in getting permission to recover. And yes I'm speaking from experience of many tense moments hunting and recovering in heavily populated areas.Good luck and let me know if you run out of tags I'd be happy to shoot the smaller of the two for ya.   :goldtooth:
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Most Jersey hunting is near houses , nice looking bucks Swamper , you must be north or west Jersey . Best of luck to you .
Greyfox54

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
thanks for the input all...south jersey

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Swamper can I ask what county ? I'm in Ocean and never seen deer that big , of course I could be a poor hunter .
Greyfox54

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
camden,glouster area

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I heard there were some real good bucks down there and you have the proof . Best of luck with your season . I stuck a nice one last night and had to go back this morning to find it . Good one for me .
Greyfox54

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©