3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best How to Make a Bow book  (Read 136 times)

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
Best How to Make a Bow book
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm in trying to learn how to make a laminated bow and I was wondering what the best imformational book there is out there on how to make one.

Thanks Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Bald Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best How to Make a Bow book
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I'd like to hear opinions on this as well.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Skip the book, go straight to DVD.

Dean Torges' "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow"

His "Hunting the Osage Bow" is a good book. You will want to read it twice before you start though.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
A buddy of mine gave me his old VHS video to watch (can't remember the name of it, but it was OLD).  Gotta say, the video REALLY helped me make mine.  It showed the different steps, what to be sure and watch for, etc.  If you can find a good one, there's just nothing like watching someone actually do it (IMHO).

That being said, head to the Bowyers Bench on here, too.  I had a few things I didn't expect come up and they were awesome at helping me out with my newby questions.  Just remember, one step at a time and don't start mixing epoxy before doing dry runs.

If you have any questions at all, pm me and I'll answer anything I can.  Good luck and post pics   :thumbsup:  
Jeremy
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
If you can get a copy of Dan Bertlan's book " Bowyers of America" it will definately help you,it sure did me ,before videos were out.19 or 20 of the top bowyers all telling their ways of bow building,exellent reading.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©