3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand with a Recurve  (Read 257 times)

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Stand with a Recurve
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Hello, Been a while since ive posted...but i have a question and figured this is the place to ask

I hunt with a 60" recurve, i have a lone wolf stand hung about 18' up  how do you guys shoot? im having trouble with my safety strap and my belly getting in the way, this limits my shooting coverage... i have deer that have been coming every which way on my cams, and i would like to be able to shoot just as well to my right or left; instead of mainly straight away..during pracice i seem to slap my limb or string on either my harness or belly, then if i want to shooot to my right, im facing the tree so i can not cant my bow and get into my comfortable stance,and im basically forced to shoot like i would with a compound  my limb slaps the seat or tree .if i want to shoot to my left at any angle my lower limb wants to slap the tree, due to the fact im able to cant my bow now.is there any techniques that you guys have come up with? or am i just S.O.L.?
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stand with a Recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
I had issues with range of shooting with the harness that came with my stand.  I switched to a Hunters Safety System vest that has a longer lead line and gained a ton of mobility and range.  I likely could've done this with my other harness too by adding a rope or a different attachment to the tree, but I wanted the entire set-up to not be modified from what was tested at the factory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
My safety strap is directly behind me and pushed-up high so I can just sit down.  When I stand, there isn't too much slack ... so it's never in the way.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I am useing a 60" bow and a useing the hunters saftey system and can stand and sit to shoot!!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I use a 20' Fall Guy retractor and Go Muddy harness.

I practice sitting and standing out of a Summit Razor SS with the bar down. Standing gives you more mobility, and less restrictive on what angles you can shoot. I prefer to stand if possible.

I hang my treestand 10' up since I'm on a steep slope. On the uphill game trails I'm almost at eyelevel, on the downhill game trails I'm about 25' above.

I don't cant the bow, it is a 64" Kodiak Special recurve, and I draw level and bend at the waist.

This season I had two cow elk and a raghorn bull come in on the uphill trails. I was able to slowly stand without being noticed and make a good shot on the lead cow ... I also use a leafy 3D suit and keep concealing foliage/cover behind me.

... hope this helps.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
18' seems to be kinda high to me. I am usually between 12 and 14'. Get a bit lower in the stand and it might help. Having a harness behind you is definately  a benefit. Don't know what to say about your belly....lots of things you can do about that if you are motivated.

I have a knee that makes a loud "pop" when I go to stand up so I set my stands so I can shoot sitting down. That might also be a solution.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline John P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I ues a Seat of the Pants system and shoot a 62" RER I dont have any problems however my last covering is over the harness with just the tag lead sticking out. Good luck to ya John

Offline TEX-O-BOB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
It sounds to me like your problem isn't your stand hight or harness. It seems it might be your posture and or stance in the tree when shooting. The biggest mistake I see guys make is they stay pretty much standing or sitting straight up and bend at the shoulders. To get the proper shooting angle you need to bend at the waist. You have to get out away from the stand and your body when shooting at critters under you. Keep your upper body straight just as if you were shooting on flat ground and articulate at the waist to get yourself away from your harness and stomach. You can do this while sitting too. Just ease out onto the edge of the seat and lean out of the tree by bending at the waist and not the shoulders. Try to place your stand to give you the widest range of motion and shot selection and practice pulling your bow back before the critter shows up so you'll know you can do it when it counts.
Ones ethics can only be described by what you do when nobody is looking.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I use a Lone Wold Alpha with 3 climbing sticks which put me about 16 feet (I have long legs). I use a Hunter Safety vest and have little trouble getting clearance to shoot. I just pivot my feet to each side of the stand and create my posture for each shot. The biggest trouble I have is the straight down shot. I set-up off the trail(s) I want to hunt 20 yards at a 90 degree angle to take that shot outa play.
Mike Davenport

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
I was going to say the same as Tex O BOB.  Tough to tell without seeing you, but sounds like the bending at the waist will change things a bit.
David M. Conroy

Offline TEX-O-BOB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I was also going to add that if you're a "big boy" and it's cold making you wear lots of cloths, that could also be hindering you're posture.

I have a tree stand set up in my yard for these reasons. I'm an anal bumbich when it comes to my set-ups and I always do dry run practicing in the back yard before a hunt. Another thing I try to do when hunting is choose a stand location that gives me an uphill shot. (way easier to do here out west) That way I can get in the tree and not have to bend at the waist so much. Just food for thought...
Ones ethics can only be described by what you do when nobody is looking.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Very little issue here shooting a 62-64" bow out of a tree stand..

I switched to shoot holding the bow verticle and found it increased my flexibility in the stand. Start with the lower limb resting between my legs in case I have to wait for and extended time. Before drawing, I  move the lower limb to the outside of  my leg, then bend at the waist and draw as is if I were shooting on flat ground. Sarting the draw process this way keeps the string out of my chest. Changes in your form will cause you many issues. No matter what position you are in, you must achieve proper alignment. Good luck.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Pre-season PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I can shoot my recurve out of my 15' ladder stand, but I'm just not very good at it, so I hunt off the ground. Maybe you should consider doing the same or pick a different tree that's more forgiving to your shooting style and allows more movement, plus I would take it down a notch or two on the stand height. If you move slow when deer are close 15' is plenty and if your real good you can get by with 13-14' also.
My biggest problem now is that I can't shoot my recurve out of my pop up blind, limbs are too long. So I made some blind sets with haybales around my clover food plot and I have yet to hunt them, but they look really good, I'm anxious to try them out.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice, i got rid of my old harness, and bought one from HSS..it fits much better, and i have more manuverability (i speeled that wrong im sure).... i pracice year round, so back out i go.....

Peace, Iron

Hunter's moon 49@28"

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Crap, i hope i shoot today better than i spell......

Hunter's moon 49@28"

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Tex-o Bob has the correct answer.

Users currently browsing this topic: