3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I don't really think we do it the hard way. How about you?  (Read 547 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
I don't really think we do it the hard way. How about you?
« on: October 01, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I think in a lot of ways, our tool is better up to the task. For one, if we can see the target, we can hit it. Night hunting feral hogs for example. It's easier since we don't need anything to glow or light up, or have to peer through a hole we can't see at night.

What are some other ways our tool of choice has the advantage?

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I don't really think we do it the hard way. How about you?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I think it's the fun way
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
If I have limb clearance I can make the shot.  I don't have to worry about a perfectly vertical bow. There is no doubt in my mind that for bowfishing I wouldn't be able to shoot half as many fish with a wheelie bow.

If you have the dedication to practice, we are limited slightly by range and that is it.  I would never feel comfortable taking a 70 yard shot with a longbow, yet I can routinely place all five arrows in a paper plate at that range with a wheelie. (probably not anymore because I haven't shot one in two yrs.) The bonus that a compound/crossbow has is that you can get your bow tuned up and be an adequate shot at 20-25 yards in a week. Even after shooting a wheelie for years it took me about 6 months to feel comfortable with a longbow/

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Whatever you care to shoot is fine with me guns included. But, you won't be any luckier (or happier) to hunt with yours as I am my longbows.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
I remember Fred Eichler said something like this on a DVD (Can't remember if it was one of Trad Harvest, Easton bowhunting or Masters of the barebow)

"Don't choose a traditional bow as your hunting weapon because it is harder, more fun, right, etc, choose it because you are confident it will help you become a better hunter"

That is what I remember, maybe not the exact words.

Anyway I shoot trad because it feels Good to do it   :archer:
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gray Buffalo:
I think it's the fun way
I agree..  :thumbsup:

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Funny, when I read the title of this thread I was thinking to myself, No, not the hard way, I think it's the enjoyable way.  So Jerry and Joe Keith nailed it as far as I'm concerned.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I think it is the BEST way, at least for me!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline oops sorry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I have equal respect for any person who restrains the arrow with muscle power to the point of release. IOW a crossbow isn't archery to me. A wheel bow is different from a stickbow. It can be more compact. It can be held at anchor longer for a given footpound. BUT the wheel bow gives up a lot that those shooting off the shelf with no sights gain. It is just a different envelope of capabilities. For speed, I'll take a stick any day. It is just how I want to do it. I can cant. I can shoot from laying down. I don't have to mess with release gadgets or blow the water out of a peep sight. If I bust a string it doesn't take three men a boy and a dog to put a new one on. I see those as advantages.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
for some,  it isn' "the hard way", "the easy way", "the better way" or "the fun way".  

It is merely "the way".  

ChuckC

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
i can't say exactly why i like traditional but it's relaxing for me to practice everyday and for some reason it seems kinda romantic...

i havn't experinced taking a deer with my bow (only a handful of tree rats)but, saturday is going to be the day when it all comes together. i can feel it!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
I shot trad before compounds...tried them and decided that they were too high maintenance and that my recurves were actually more efficient hunting tools. To use a compound, unless you shoot it bare bow, everything has to be perfect. My  recurve can get the job done in many more unexpected situations than I could ever have gotten done with my old compound. It is simpler, more efficient and my sense of achievement is much more satisfying with a recurve than anything I shot with my compound.

I should add, that IMO, trad equipment is harder to shoot accurately but once you get that part figured out they are simply better hunting tools.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
I shot trad before compounds...tried them and decided that they were too high maintenance and that my recurves were actually more efficient hunting tools. To use a compound, unless you shoot it bare bow, everything has to be perfect. My  recurve can get the job done in many more unexpected situations than I could ever have gotten done with my old compound. It is simpler, more efficient and my sense of achievement is much more satisfying with a recurve than anything I shot with my compound.

I should add, that IMO, trad equipment is harder to shoot accurately but once you get that part figured out they are simply better hunting tools.
You said it better than I could.

I remember one time I caught a walking doe out of the corner of my eye, and I had a window of about 6"x6" and about 1 second to shoot. I doubt I could have made that shot with my compound.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Well, maybe the right way!  Not too many of us taking 50 plus yard shots.  Shooting a traditional bow seems to be more "pure" to me.

I work a lot of hours.  Often I do not get home until dusk.  After supper an bt of unwinding it is time to take out the bow.  I place a halogen work light and shine it on the hill side next to my home.  I back up to all manner of yardages and let the arrows fly.  At night I can not see my arrow or shelf, but I can see my target.  That is all that is needed.  I like that it is fun and simple.  I like only one string, no cams to tune, etc.  I jsut shoot and feel better about my day.  

Not sure if it is an adavntage or disadvantage.  I enjoy it ... it is right for me.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Gettin close is what turns my crank, I don't want gadgets,too many breakdowns and failures.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
It's just what I do.    :archer2:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
IMO, a trad bow can do anything a compound can do but without the fuss and confusion of the mechanics involved. Learn to shoot a trad bow well and you can take animals at any distance a compound can. I shot a caribou at 55 yards...but I was forewarned by others that had hunted them to practice those long shots. I did and was not intimidated at all by the shot offered. There is more to the story but my point is that if you take the time to tune your equipment and work on your shooting skills a trad bow will make any kill at any range much more apprecaited because you have to take the time to know how you can handle the weapon. Compounds are just too darn easy to shoot if circumstances are just so. I suspect i would have harvested less than half the animals I have with a compound simply because the situations I often find myself in are compatible with shooting a stick bow but not a compound. A traditional hunting bow is much more efficient and deadly because it is more adaptable....if you take the time  to learn to really shoot the thing.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
what got me started in trad was being paranoid that my sights would be messed up when I saw a deer.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
It is really more fun, less worry about sights, releases and  on & on. I have been shooting off and on since the early 50"s I have been through it all recurves, longbows, compounds, And it still is more fun just to grab a recurve or longbow and hunt or stump shoot.
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Dam compounds just have no soul!  I'll  take a recurve and be happy just for the chance to pull back the string on a deer---

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©