3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SE Iowa bobcat  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SE Iowa bobcat
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Lefty, very well said. Lifetime memories for you and your Daughter  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Good deal Lefty. A memory you or your Daughter will never forget.

We have a lot of them here in south Ga. Somewhat smaller and not near as "fuzzy" due to the climate I guess.I`ve killed one and had a lot more chances but one mounted is plenty.I enjoy seeing tham they move so calm and just kinda "glide" around.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Great pics! I have had them in close on two occasions-once under 10 feet-could not smell me; but no camera at hand either. They just aren't on my "ok to shoot list" regardless of season.   :archer:

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Chris, my daughter and were camping down by Farmington last week and we saw a bobcat when were out scoutiing one evening, first bobcat I have ever seen in the wild.

doug77

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
That's awesome, Lefty!  I had one sneak underneath my stand not far from the area where we went stumping a few years back!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
i saw one in our cabin in tennessee when i was seven years old.scary thing at 4 in the morning when you are seven.didn't sleep at all that night.thats cool you and your daughter both got to see it.lots of luck this season,steve

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
I have no desire to shoot one; don't eat it don't shoot it I guess.  I've seen a number of them while deer hunting, always a highlight.  One December morning a few years ago I was hunting northern Wis after a 2-3" snowfall.  The temp was about 5 degrees or so.  Found an area where the snow was all torn up with deer hair and deer tracks everywhere.  Found one big patch of deer hide that was about 6" x 10" and a set of bobcat tracks leaving the area, but no bobcat tracks entering.  The only thing I can think is that the bobcat stayed up in a tree overnight and nailed the deer as it walked under the tree he was in.  No blood, but lots of hair and deer tracks.  It looked like it must have been quite a fight.  The bobcat went hungry, but I was thinking how cold that deer must have been with all that hide missing.

Dave

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Great encounter...And yes he doesnt look to have any spots.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Cool Cat!

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Pretty cool, I saw a Carolina panther once with my uncle it was awesome. I know I am going to get ragged on this but it looks just like a cougar, mountain lion whatever you want to call it but not as tall but length wise similiar.
USMC 82-86

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
That is cool! it looks perfect size for a back quiver.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Awesome!  I love that you go out with your little girl.  My Dad use to let me tag along pheasant hunting.  It helped shape who I am.

I hope to get a Bobcat at my place this year.  We have them thick in my timber.  We no longer have rabbits(very sad for my little boy).  The DNR have trapped a few cats and bugged them.  They sit in my drive and monitor them.  I have heard that Bobcat in a crockpot with BBQ is great:)
Good luck this season!
K
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Great experience for you both.  It's hard to tell, but appears to be pretty good size.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by S.C. Hunter:
Pretty cool, I saw a Carolina panther once with my uncle it was awesome. I know I am going to get ragged on this but it looks just like a cougar, mountain lion whatever you want to call it but not as tall but length wise similiar.
How did you know it was a Carolina panther, was it wearing its football jersey?
   :)
  Panther, cougar, mountain lion, catamount, etc. are all the same species.

Cool bobcat pics, it was right under you!

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Awesome that you got pics. I saw my first one ever on Wed (9/29). I was afraid to try to get my camera out. I watched it for about 4 minutes as it sat in front of me at 10 yards, then stalked a squirrel. Your's got real close.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
Chris, what a great story! Keep telling your daughter that story over the years, and keep showing her the pics. She needs to tell her kids: "One day your Granddad and I were up in a tree stand and saw a bobcat ..." Cool white spots on the back of that bobcat's ears too. Think I heard/read those spots allow the kittens to follow Mama bobcat running through the woods at night better.    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
It is interesting to hear how many people have not seen one or have only seen 1 in a lifetime. We saw 2 last week while scouting a new area. The coastal range here is thick with them.
I think it is really cool to share an experience like that with your daughter.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Great story and congrats getting the picks. We have alot around here and I was able to get these great picks last spring shed hunting.

Don't forget to look up sometimes!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
Great photo Chris....I'm surprised you were able to get the camera out without it seeing you, their pretty slick!   :notworthy:

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©