3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frustrated...  (Read 617 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Frustrated...
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
How does the average guy like myself with a nicholson file, a diamond hone, and a leather strop get a wensel woodsman sharp?? I was told that a file and a hone would get it shaving sharp, but im not having any luck whatsoever.    :dunno:

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frustrated...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Some of the bevels on the older WW were not ground perfectly flat. Did you use a marker on the blade edge and see were your removing metel from?
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
yes i used a marker and these are not older WW they are the woodsman elites..

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Wensel woodsman sharpening how to  

Have you seen this in the how to section?  Maybe it will help..
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Lighten up on the pressure.  Lay your file across two blades and perpendicular to the shaft.  Move the file straight from the heel to the tip using VERY light pressure.  Just barely enuf so that you can feel it cut.  I'll start with three strokes then turn to the next blades.  When that feels sharp, go to one very light stroke at a time.

Sharpster has an article in the latest Trad Archers World magazine on sharpening 3 blade heads.  I haven't tried it yet, but Ron knows his stuff.  Article should be available on line as well.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Super light strokes with the file. I mark them up with the sharpie the push them down the file until all the sharpie marks are off them do the 10,9,8,7,6 deal then finish up with 30 or 60 or 90 single strokes. Whatever it takes. But those last strokes are very very light. Almost lifting the file with my fingers. Good luck!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Light, light , light is what I have found to work. The weight of the head alone is enough to hone them, any more pressure and it wont work. I cant lie though, I only use them for turkeys and not deer. I dont trust the edge I get. I prefer my arrows to stay in turkeys and they work perfect for that.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
I use a diamond knife sharpening stick on my 3 blade heads. Like PD said Light,Light strokes. When I pull the blade across my finger nail and  I can feel it pulling as it cuts it is sharp enough. I use a track 2 for my face.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
What Fletcher said touch it lightly like your trying to arouse the broadhead as you would a woman.Pressure is the key to any sharpening success.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
:scared:

I never tried that!

:eek:

Killdeer   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
It takes me about fifteen minutes to have one of the regular Woodsmans where it will shave. I use a 12" nicholson file and a montec 2" by 3" flat diamond stone. It has about a 600 grit side and  a 1200 grit side...I also use a sharpie to mark the edge. I get it to shave with the 600 grit side then hone it with the 1200 grit side...the edge has a mirror finish when its done. When using the stone I just use enough downward pressure to keep the blade flat against the stone.
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
It seems like i have done everything you guys said. I as well have the montec diamond sharpener. I have gotten a pretty good edge on it, and it will cut a few hairs.. But its not shaving sharp like my muzzys used to be, I guess I just feel a lot better about shooting at a deer with a shaving sharp edge, which seems really tough to get with these woodsmans.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
I use a 10 inch Mill Bastard File from the hardware store and a small honing stone.  Once in a while I will pull out the steel in the kitchen but not very often.

I think sharpening stuff is a learned skill--you have to work at it a little, pay attention to what you're doing, take your time, and the skill will come.

I can sharpen the Wensels, or Snuffers, or even 4 blade Zwickey Deltas with no problem, and in very short order.  JKust keep on working at it and before long, you'll be doing it too.

Joe

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Ya know it took me a while to get where i could sharpen one at first...i just kept at it and its pretty easy to get an edge now...The first time i tried it though seems like it took forever just to get a decent edge on one head.
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
I saw that 3 rivers sells a 9 degree file block for 3 blade broadheads, and a 24 degree file block for 2, and 4 blade broadheads. Would one of these blocks give me a better edge than just a regular flat file?

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
Use light pressure with a diamond file and try to keep the file flat on both blades. Go slow and light with many repetitions.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
I recently went through all my razorcaps and now they are all shaving sharp.  I had to use some good pressure on the file for the first 10-20 strokes to get the marker off.  Just make sure to rotate the head with each stroke- your trying to flatten the edge to make them all uniform- right out to the blade edge.  Once the marker would all come off with one pass down the file, I switched over to my lansky medium stone and made 20,19,18,17 etc. passes down each side.  Then the same with my fine diamond- getting lighter with each stroke.  Keep at it, it can be done!!!!!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I had the same trouble until this year. I blacked my blades with magic marker, drug the broadhead on a 220 grit belt on my belt sander(sander turned off)to even the bevel,10 or so light passes per side on my extra fine diamond hone, stropped on a leather strop with jewelers rouge and ended with a stropping on a piece of cardboard. Finally I am satisfied with the result, very, very sharp.

The key is light passes in the final stages. So light in fact that it seems like you are not cutting the metal at all.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Buckeye, the angled files aren't recommended for Woodsmans.  I think they tend to weaken the tips to much.  One of the things in sharpening is to get the edge sharp at each step.  Ie, get it sharp on the file before moving to the stone.

If you are going to use a flat stone, then you will want a large enuf file or sanding surface to keep the broadhead edges flat and straight.    My method of filing doesn't do that, but I finish with a ceramic stick and narrow strop so it works well for me.  A 12 inch single cut flat file (mill bastard or 2nd cut) will do the trick, just get a good one; not a China or India file.  Even with the big file, finish up with very light pressure.  If you can feel it cutting, the pressure is too much.  You can make them shave with just the file.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
From what you guys have said it sounds like i am applying too much pressure. I'll try to go lighter and see what happens.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©