3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First trad...miss...X3 Updated with pics  (Read 672 times)

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
First trad...miss...X3 Updated with pics
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I was hoping this would be my victory post with a nice picture of a smiling archer and a deer on the ground. Well, it's not. The first day of season here in Illinois I hunted some state ground that I've only hunted once before. I set up close to a deer path and sat back to wait. Around dark here came a yearling down the trail. I drew back and... forgot everything I knew about shooting a bow. No anchor, No picking a spot. I know I had an arrow knocked, but that's only because there was an arrow sticking in the ground at least a foot below where it should have been. It gets better.   :rolleyes:    The doe trots off 10 yards. I knock another arrow and repeat the same thing. 5 minutes later another doe and fawn come the same way. This time I shot over the doe. I almost fell out of the tree because I was laughing at myself. I have been shooting every night this summer and can hit water bottles at 15 yards. I just muffed these shots. Did I say these shots were at 8 yards?

We'll see what tomorrow brings. At least no animals were harmed in the making of this post.   :clapper:  

George
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First trad...miss...X3 Updated with pics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I believe we have all been there one time or another. Just hang in there and hopefuuly you'll redeam yourself on your next opportunity.
GLENN

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
If you can laugh about it your in good shape. And it will happen for you. Just gotta breath deep and pick a spot! I know. easier said than done.. been there. Good luck!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Many years ago I shot at the same deer three times with bow. Called her back in with a fawn distress call each time. Missed horribly each time. Lost a nice arrow also.

Missed one twice another time......with a muzzle loader. She never ran after the first shot. I frantically reloaded on my back trying to be stealthy. She trotted off after the second miss. I'm sure she died laughing after she got out of sight.

I've missed more than I've downed, unfortunately. The double bogie and triple bogie didn't help my average.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
"At least no animals were harmed in the making of this post." I like the humorous disclaimer.

Like swampdrummer said, if you can laugh about it your in good shape. Better luck tomorrow and remember, there is a lot more room around them, than on them.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
It is hard sometimes not to laugh at ones self when we miss a "gimme". Good luck tomorrow and keep up the great attitude.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
I missed a big doe opening morning also. Somehow I managed to hit my bulging cargo pocket with the bottom limb of my bow.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
Keep at it and PICK A SPOT!!  LOL!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
If you can laugh about it your in good shape.  
I wouldn't laugh or even chuckle personally. I would be feeling very grateful I didn't have a couple wounded deer to deal with.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
For most of us it is way different psychologically to shoot at a living thing than it is to shoot plastic bottles. One of the best ways to "train" is to hunt small game...squirrels, rabbits, wood chucks, etc. This will allow you to learn to shoot at the right moment, pick a spot, deal with whatever  feelings you have about taking a life, etc. As time goes by it should get better but every hunting situation is different. I had a doe a few years ago that was so edgy and nervous she actually game me a headache and when she stepped into a shooting lane I decided not to shoot because I wasn't ready, psychologically, to shoot. I was afraid of missing her and thereby educating her or making a poor shot.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
Many years ago I shot at the same deer three times with bow. Called her back in with a fawn distress call each time. Missed horribly each time. Lost a nice arrow also.

Missed one twice another time......with a muzzle loader. She never ran after the first shot. I frantically reloaded on my back trying to be stealthy. She trotted off after the second miss. I'm sure she died laughing after she got out of sight.

I've missed more than I've downed, unfortunately. The double bogie and triple bogie didn't help my average.
You sure we ain't twins?
I've done pretty much the same thing in both occasions before & the muzloader with me was last season...

Glad you still can laugh at yourself which means that there will be another time for you with your bow.   :)
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
been there, done that. It gets better
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
You are now a full fledged member of a very big club. Keep at it, and you will become a member of the somewhat more exclusive club; those who have taken deer with traditional equipment.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Don't feel bad, as many have been there as well.  It's still a great hunt, and an awesome day in the woods because you did it the hard way.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Could be worse.  When I first started shooting trad gear I once shot at the same doe 3 times while she was bedded and she never even knew I was there.  She eventually got up and walked off still not aware that I was near.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Sounds like equipment failure to me.  ;)

Keep at it!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Slivrslinger, I followed your advice this morning. Pics are coming.  :goldtooth:
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
my first 3 shots with a trad bow all were over the back of the same doe!i shot her the next day,pick a spot and welcome to the club.good luck.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Been there, done that, still looking forward to success somewhere down the road...Hope to see yours soon!

Offline geales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Pics added to original post. Thanks for all the support.

George
"Who is John Galt?"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©