3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How can i add more weight to my arrows?? please help  (Read 233 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
How can i add more weight to my arrows?? please help
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
So I want to add more weight to my arrows. I'm thinking about moving from CE 250's to 350's but that does not add to much weight. I already have a 100 grain insert and a 125 grain tip. If i jump up in tip weight will it affect how my arrow flies? I want high 600's to mid 700's.

I love this forum it helps so much.

Thanks
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How can i add more weight to my arrows?? please help
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Post your setup, draw length, weight of your bow at your draw length, how far off-center is your shelf, etc...

The gurus on here will jump in and help you in no time. They've helped me a whole lot.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
I would expect you will have to add tip weight to the 350s to soften the spine enough for good arrow flight in comaparison to the 250s.

I would buy some field points from 175 up to 300 grains and play with them till you find what works best with the 350s.

You will most likely end up with a pretty heavy arrow with the 350s.I think they will require a heavy tip to compare with the 250s you are currantly shooting to tune well.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
If you want a heavy arrow, another alternative is to shoot aluminum arrows. My arrows are heavy for the bow poundage I shoot which you can see in my signature.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
I shoot a damon howatt, 28 inches at 63 pounds. Right now i have CE 250's with 100 grain insert and 125 tips. My pull is 29 inches roughly, so i shoot about a 30 and a fourth inch arrow.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Tater....more important than total arrow weight, IMO, is how straight your arrows shoot. If you have your arrows perfectly tuned to your bow that will trump any added weight that might cause the arrow to fly less than perfect. When I tune my arrows I typically will shoot a spine stiffer than what I really need for a traditional 125 grain point and add weight up front, which you seem to have done. Once I get the arrows shooting the way they should, then I weigh them. Again, for me, weight is secondary to excellent flight and sharp broadheads.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
weight tubes from 3river

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
The thing is I am shooting a lot lighter arrow then i need to be shooting for my bow and that is not good in my eyes.

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
As mentioned above..... If you want to keep your current arrows then your only solution is to add weight tubes or heavier point weight.

According to Stu's calc. your current arrows are about 576 grains, 18% FOC and figuring you're pulling roughly 66 pounds at your 29" DL you are at about 8.7 GPP. If you increase point weight to 150gr then you are at least at 9.1 GPP but you will probably be underspined.

You might want to move up to a 350 and start at full length till you get good arrow flight.

Offline fz4vgq

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Also.... have someone mark your exact draw length a few times so you know exactly. Then figure out exactly what weight your bow is at that draw length. Don't go by whats written on the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©