3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for advice for my first time out in a tree stand  (Read 276 times)

Offline chinkley

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for advice for my first time out in a tree stand
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:11:00 AM »
This is my first post so I hope this is an appropriate topic and in the right place. I am heading out for the first time this fall hunting with a 43# wooden recurve. I just started shooting this spring and am shooting groupings of 10 inches or so on level ground at about 10-12 yards. My brother-in-law is setting up a tree stand for me. My problem is I won't have time to practice shooting from the tree stand before actually hunting. The closest I have been able to come is 5 ft up in my kids fort. I am still able to keep the same accuracy as on level ground and I am shooting about 15 yards. Any advice for how I should adjust for shooting from 15 feet up?

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for advice for my first time out in a tree stand
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
no adjustment needed just bend at the waist dont drop the bow arm, i would suggest practicing from tree stand hieght before hunting from one until then i would stay on the ground. good luck

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
I shoot off of the garage roof to practice elevated shooting. Like bowmaster said bend at the waist not the shoulders. Made that mistake too. Shot high.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowmaster12:
no adjustment needed just bend at the waist dont drop the bow arm

X2

It will shorten your draw legnth at the same anchor, changing the arrow flight that you are use to.

Good Luck!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
I set an extension ladder against a tree in my yard.  Climb up, turn around and shoot.  I shoot there or four arrows at small objects in the yard.  Come down and shoot from wherever they are to a deer target.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Better to bend at the waist as these guys are saying, but if you can't you have to practice aiming low. Deer will often come right under a stand and you have to practice those shots or you will miss by shooting too high. With no practice, its tough to pick a small spot to hit and then aim lower. In the back yard, try putting one of those bright orange stickers the size of a quarter right in the middle of that ten inch circle you are hitting. Shooting at such a small spot will help condition you to shoot at an extremely small spot on the animal and your groups will get very tight. For your last few shots at the target always take the sticker off and try to hit the imaginary dot just like if you were shooting a real deer.
 If you see a deer you want to take, as soon as you decide it will be yours, STOP looking at the deer and pick a small spot you want to hit on the body. Even if it's 75 yards away. Then as it gets closer just zone it on that one spot the whole time until it gets into your range, then shoot the imaginary orange dot !  I have not missed an animal since I started doing this, but I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.
I practice from my roof.
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
It helps to conquer buck fever also!
David M. Conroy

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
If you have a chance to shoot a field point from the stand do so. But off the path of your shooting lane. That way you at least have something to base the next shot upon. It has helped me before.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Get used to the harness and use it!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
It helps to conquer buck fever also!
Is that even possible,thats the best part..Harness is the best advice,then the bending.If you can do the roof thing thats even better.Try and take a squirrel from the roof or when you get in your stand.Have an arrow with a blunt or judo point with you when you get in the stand and pick a leaf at your desired range and really focus on the shot and let it rip.this will help you figure out how it feels shooting from the tree.And pull the bow back in different positions in the stand(left,right,center) this lets you know what may be in your way when at full draw.    :archer2:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Bend at the waist, pick a spot, don't drag your feet across the stand, pick them up and set them down quietly, most of all have fun!!!!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
best thing i can tell you, and the longer i hunt, the truer it gets: pay attention to the wind. forget the gimmicks, the suits and the sprays. only hunt a stand where the wind is right. you will do more to ruin a spot by hunting it with the wrong wind than anything else you can do.

the old-timers are right. most people on this board know it anyway, but "forget the wind and just hunt" is a load of malarkey!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©