3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My turn for a Silvertip thread  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
My turn for a Silvertip thread
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Been thinking about getting a custom bow for a while now still fairly new to this since ive only had my bow for 3 years, but I think Im ready to start looking. dont get me wrong I love my super kodiak but it seems like it was a gateway "drug" now I want MORE..  :)  After following arrow4christ thread ive decided a silvertip is in my future..Im gonna go a different route though. since I dont know a ton about different wood etc and i know what people have already from his thread I'm gonna put it like this..If a person told you they would buy you a silvertip takedown recurve customized to however you like it..What would you do and why?? ....Thanks Seth

Offline mtnbike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My turn for a Silvertip thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Here's what my order would be, FF 60" 60@28" Charcoal Riser Actionboo core and maybe Shedua veneers and for sure, the checkered grip. Thinking about the 15" riser with the long limbs. Just enough looks but mostly for the intended purpose. I like the looks of all the exotic woods , but I prefer function over fashion. I currently have an original Schafer (limbs broke, happens ) now with Windauer limbs. Love this bow. Have been toying with others, but can't veer from the Schafer. If everybody keeps up with the high praise of the Schafer bow, by the time I get around to ordering my next one, poor Dave will be overwelmed with orders and I'll have a long wait to get one. Don't be fussy, just get what pleases you. You'll be happy with what you ever you choose. The bottomline is that you will have the best bow that anyone can build. Good luck
opportunityisnowhere....
56" Big Jims TC  [email protected]!
56" Big Jims Thunderchild 55@28
60" Orig Schafer/Windauer 56@28
60" Silvertip 64@28
58" Homepro/Schafer limbs 60@28
62" Bears' Paw Longbow 63@28"

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
That thread IS pretty awesome huh?! I'd get what I'm getting    :D   ...walnut Actionwood limbs with walnut dymondwood wedges and a walnut dymondwood riser. 62" 63#@29" with checkering and an elevated rest. Fast Flight for sure and a medium wrist grip.

Offline Terry Riley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »
60", Walnut diamondwood riser,walnut stained red elm veneered limbs, checkered medium grip, horn overlayed tips. Set-up to shoot off the shelf. Dacron string.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »
Man you can pick just about any combination of woods, length and draw weight.  Doesn't matter what your choices are because in the end you'll still have a great bow.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Mike Orton

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
This is and would be the bow I'd order:

Fast Flight Compatable
Serial Number: 4233
60" Long,    Draw: 63#@28" Medium (15") riser
black phenolic double wave, with shedua sandwiched by highly figured bocote. Limbs are veneered back and belly with zebrawood. Limbs are laminated Maple (Actionwood) Limbs and riser were stained a rich cocobolo color. Checkered grip.   Chrono'd at 202fps with 540 grain arrow.

That is the bow I presently own and it is wonderful.  I bought on the used market for half price of new but I'd order the same or possibly with Actionboo limbs and Zebrawood veneers.

Considering the quality works of art these bows are I would also have ordered the riser carvings and the scrimshaw inletting of an animal of choice.  I may still have the scrimshaw inletting done at a future date.  I'd look into 3 sets of limbs 45, 55 and 65 lbs.  I'm presently searching for a set of low 50# limbs at 28
  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
I had ebony w/ a checkered grip riser w/ stained too match zebra wood limbs w/ sheep horn tips on the Tip I once had.Bow was gorgeous.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
OK, enough already with the silvertip threads... I have been itching for a new bow, and a tip is at the top of my wish list.  The only problem is, I have convinced my wife that Dave Ramsey has visited our house and our debt snowball is really rolling.  I don't think she (or Dave) would appreciate me spending our emergency fund on a new bow.  We are on task to be debt free in 26 months, with only a house payment left at that time, a new bow will be my reward for the sacrifices made along the way.  I just don't know if I can wait THAT LONG!!!!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:    ;)    :D
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
They are all good!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
B riser (60")
Medium Checkered Grip
FF 55#@28"
Walnut Diamondwood Riser
Juniper or Bacote or Zebrawood limbs
Elevated Rest
Mule Deer Antler Knobs

Just like the one I have now, but in a different color/limb wood pattern.

Then I will get the same thing with the charcoal riser and black glass/snakeskin limbs!

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Mike...202fps?!?! That's as fast as anything out there! Was that all silenced up?

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
DRR324.  Stick with Daves plan.  A new silvertip every two months is cheaper than most car payments.  I am 8-10 months from only having the house left and the closer you get to that point the better it feels.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
Adam,
Thanks- and great job!  I have been a fan of Dave's for a couple of years.  Never really been in financial trouble, but did have to sell a business for a pretty good loss 3 years ago.  I owned a dollar store in our little town and got wind that Dollar General was moving in just down the road.  Didn't realize a guy could lose 75k that he didn't have, but reality happened.  Still earning a good living and the kids eat every day, but finally convinced the wife to work Dave's plan.  Just started 2 months ago and already have knocked $1100 worth off the debt balance.  I can see her excitement when she pays off the small stuff, and I also see that order being placed for the new silvertip- she hasn't seen that part yet tho'     ;)
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Seth, if was me I would want the bow to handle FF and at what poundage. Then I would tell him to build it like he would for himself. You might get more then you expect and just think it will be a surprise when it arrives. Alan

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
my first tip was 58" 55# @ 27.5"-  rosewood riser w/ curly maple veneers, antler knobs and sheep horn tips. 2nd was charcoal riser w/ bocote veneers, kudu overlay and tips. wouldn't change anything about either bow!  but a third??? don't know about woods but i would do some handle carvings, probably some skins, accent wave too!  FF would be nice but not required. i use dacron on both tips and speed is NOT a problem. that would be a tough decision for a bow, THAT'S WHY WE ALL HAVE MORE THAN ONE!!  HAHAAHA!!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
So many choices-I have an all Bocote edition coming, but considered a cocobolo riser with juniper or yew limb veneers. Checkered grip is a must.
DonD

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
Here's most of my Schafers....haven't found one yet I didn't love   ;)  Checekered grip is a must!!

"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
bob sent you a pm

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©