3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: that one bow  (Read 1719 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: that one bow
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Right now I keep floating back to my 80# Shelby Mustang but when I get old and can't handle it any more I'll use my Mag. Handled 70# Bear T.D. for sure (if I can get it away from my kid)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Lynn Harrelson carbon bamboo r/d longbow.  I think it is a confidence thing, but I'm shooting a couple of other bows real well that will get some treestand time this fall.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Today

One of Norms beautys Blacktail Elite 62" 50lbs @28" shoots just like she looks. KILLER AND FAST

Brent

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Your killin me Brent! Those Blacktails have got to be one of the finest looking bows I have seen. That footed riser is the real deal! I need to get one some day.

Right now, I'm spending some quality time with a 1996 Zipper TD and we a gelling quite nicely, if I say so myself. But that is subject to change at a moments notice. Your mileage may vary...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Chek-Mate Crusader.  I still like to check out others, but this one does it for me.  After owning somewhere between 60 and 100 different bows, plus shooting lots more, I haven't found one that fits me better.

Chad

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
Honestly? NO!    :rolleyes:  

I hunted with 2 different bows just last weekend and there are 15 (I think) on my "1st string rack", which means at any time I'd grab any of them to head out the door and hunt with.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 06:57:00 PM »
My Go-To bow is and has been for a long time a Black Widow MA3 64" 64# at 31". I use it for everything. It has never let me down.      
     Tim
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »
I don't shoot it much, but the one I just can't seem to get rid of is an Archery Traditions 62"-62# recurve. It only cost me 180 bucks and I shoot it better than any other trad bow I've owned. My favorite selfbow is the "last one I made"!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
I probably shoot my ugly old Black Bear the best, but I can't quit on my Mahaska.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 05:03:00 AM »
Liberty English 53# bamboo cored with myrtlewood veneers. I can go a while without shooting and pick it up and shoot well right off.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 05:33:00 AM »
UH, nope. Got two on the rack, two on the way, two on order and two at my Bros house. The ones at my house get shot every day, The ones in Texas get shot for a month each year by me and Bubba shoots them every once in a while. I love them all and shoot them all equally well.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 07:13:00 AM »
Fred Bear Takedown

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I have an old Black Bear Hunter that I bought new in the 80's.  I just can't get enough of it.  I had Bowdoc give it a makeover 2 years ago and she looks real nice again.  She sits right up there with my two longbows and I shoot em all but I can't go very long without shooting the old Bear...like an old friend!

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
My absolute "Go To" bow is my Black Widow.

However, I know I can grab my Bob Lee, BW TF or my BigHorn. I just got a Morrison Shawnee w/Arapaho limbs that I like a lot too. I really like to shoot many bows but I know I shoot better when I stick to one.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
My bow that I always go back to is an old 21st Century bow, but it seems to get heavier every year.
Gordon

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

My Bruin WoodsMaster TD. She's a plain jane but a great shooter.
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »
My Widow PSA V although i have a ACS-CX on order we will see how that goes when it gets here.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
The "1" would be my Zipper T/D Standard 60" 52@30. I shoot it well. Used to shoot a Jeffery Archery Mighty Mag 52" 52@28 and when I switched, the difference in acurracy and performance was astounding. Crazy I tell ya!

I did manage to get my hands on a Morrison Dakota at Baltimore and shot lights out with that. Might have to invest in one of those sometime! I think a Border is on my radar next though.   :archer:
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
If I could only have one, which would be a terrible turn of events, it would have to be my silvertip takedown. I have always gone back and forth between it and a couple longbows, however, the 'tip is the one I can pick up anytime, whether I had been shooting it lately or not, and hit what I'm aiming at (or pretty close to it!). I usually need to put a little more time into shooting the longbows well.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:00 PM »
I tend to stick with a bow for 8-10 years before I feel the need to try another.  I can only shoot one bow good at a time.  I'm in my second year with an Ancient Spirits Thunderhawk (60 inch TD, 56 lbs at 28").  It fits me great.  

I've been doing this for almost 40 years and its only the 5th bow I've owned. Heres my bow shooting history:

1968 28# Bear Cub Recurve
1973 45# Bear Kodiak Hunter Recurve
1985 65# Alan Rothaar TD Recurve
1997 56# Paul Schwartz Recurve
2006 56# Ancient Sprirts Thunderhawk TD Recurve

I still own all of them.  The Thunderhawk is just getting broken in.  The Kodiak is still in good shape,probabbly becuase it was the "goto" bow through high school and collage and I didn't shoot as much as I did before or since.  The other other three have been used hard and show it.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©