3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are climbing treestands safe???  (Read 921 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Are climbing treestands safe???
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with climbers. I have been looking at the summitt viper stand, but have always been skeptical of climbing stands. It sure does seem alot easier than fixed stands.   :coffee:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are climbing treestands safe???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
had my summit 10 yrs...safe if you use your brain.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I have used climbing stands over the yearsd and just like any other kind of stand, you need to pay attention and follow good rules when climbing and standing.

My first climber was called a "Profane" stand---I guess it was the first of the climbers. It later became the "Baker" climbing stand.  It was first called the "Profane" stand in advertisements becausze supposedly when anyone saw you climb a tree with it, they'd say "will, I'll be d*****!"  First time I used that stand I killed my first nice buck from it within about 45 minutes of going up a tree.

Use a safety harness/belt by all means.

Joe

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
I have hunted from climbers since 1980.  Pine trees are very noisey to climb up or down and you have to keep your back off the tree while sitting so you don't get sap on you or flake bark off.

Use trees with a rough texture like an oak, hockory or something like that.  Trees with slick trunks can cause your stand to slip.  

The best stand that I have found is the Equalizer.  The ability to level the stand as you climb is priceless to me.  Every other stand that I have used requires you to readjust the cables, bars, chains or whatever while off the ground by disengaging them adjust and then reengageing them.

Use a fall arrest harness everytime reguardless of what type of stand you use.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Have some sense about what and how you climb and they are as safe as any other stand, maybe more so. I attach my harness to the tree and push it up as I climb. You are secured from the moment you leave the ground.

Don't climb wet or icey trees. Take your time.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
It's all relative, some people get very nervous going above the ground, thereby heightening the potential safety problems. I think they are very safe and have predominately used them when hunting the last 14 years. I have hunted very often during those years and have never had a bad problem.

I have used summit stands in the past but don't use them anymore as I have found other stands that suite my needs more.

Though in the past I never used a safety harness, as I thought they were too restricting, and I felt very sturdy in my stands and still do, I always use one now since I am getting older and my sense of balance isn't what it use to be.

I think the only advantage a climber has over a fixed stand is that one can go to different spots at a moments notice. That advantage has been minimized quite a bit by the new lighter more sturdy fixed stands, along with the safer more sturdy and easily used climbing sticks.

I presently only have two climbers, very sturdy and comfortable top of the line both of them are.
I will probably never get rid of them even though I mostly use a fixed stand with sticks now as I find them more adaptable, lighter, and if I decide not to hunt from a tree they are carried easily or taken off my back at a moments notice when stalking, and I don't have to settle for a second place tree when it comes to location.

Hope this helps

P.S. I had to add this in, I agree with Pac's statement. I have found that the Equalizer treestand is the most convenient and sturdy of the stands I have used.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
You never hear about climbers letting go and somebody falling to the ground, it always seems to be a strap or cable breaking on a fixed stand. So....I say they are safe. Mine hasnt let me down (pardon the pun!) in 15 years of using them. Be sure every time you make a move upward or downward that the stand is dug in and posistioned correctly and you wont have issues.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
I find they're as safe as the operator.  The Summit Viper is a solid stand and you can probably take a nap in one without falling out (I have one).  However the Viper has been hanging in the garage ever since I bought a Lone Wolf hand climber several years ago.

Always use a safety harness.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
P.S.

I have a Lone Wolf as well, they dont get any better. I have owned most all of the major brands over the years.

Offline trcytylr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
Not very safe at all without a "Safety Harness ON"!

WEAR IT and their great. jmo    :thumbsup:    :p
Jordan Stalker 3pc Takedown 52@28 64"

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
yes they are safe the summits are rock solid.  I did have a major issue with my lone wolf but it had nothing to do with sliding down or coming off the tree it tope sit portion folded flat on me this year just about taking my finger off! it was a brand new stand and i have plenty of experince the stands are now made in china the sit and climb wide uses a plastic bracket that non of the others use  but i still say climbers are safe

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I am apprehensive with heights but can use a climber. Just use common sense and NEVER NEVER use one without a GOOD harness fullbody or vest. No hunt is worth life or limb. Your loved ones will thank you.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
I love my climber. They are as safe as the operator. Check cable, straps, wear the safety harness at ALL times and replace anything that looks frayed, rotted.

I tell our bowhunting students to imagine they are going to let their husband, girlfriend, wife, children etc use the stand. Would you let them use the stand as is. people are worth more than a few bucks for a cable, strap etc.

I was really afraid of heights before i got my Summit. Now I have no problem going up to hunting height and I am quite comfortable.

Give one a try , they have their place and are a good tool in the right situation.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
There was a climber that was state of the art around 10 or 15 years ago. It was endorsed by an ex football great. I had the most thick comfortable seat ever! I never owned this stand but borrowed and hunted out of it a bunch of times. It would hold you on the tree by leverage between smooth rubber pads that were a bit slippery on smooth barked trees, especially if a little wet. If climbers have a reutation as being unsafe I'll bet that stand had something to do with it. Ive slipped on smoothbarked trees like beeches while coming down and gone down a few feet in a hurry!! SCARY STUFF! I was a fool and never used to wear a safty harness then either. I never go up a tree without one now. I saved up a couple bucks 3 years ago and bought a lone wolf hand climber and i cant imagine feeling any safer in a tree! I love it! It was +/- $325 then but condiering how much time Im in the thing, how little it weighs, how thin it packs, and the fact that I'll probably hunt the thing forever i can justify the price.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
I have used a climber since the mid 70's with only a few problems that were self induced. Tie your stand to your climber, bungy off both when you get to your hunting height and always use a saftey harness.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
They are as safe as any other product out there, most accidents, but not all, are usually the fault of the operator in some way. ALWAYS wear a safety harness with any stand! Before I take my viper out I carefully inspect each and every inch of that stand from the cables to the welds and anything in between. Make sure you practice and understand how the stand works before you go out on your first hunt. Read the owners manual! And don't forget that safety harness!

Rodney

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
I agree with most folks, I have a Lone Wolf, I think climbers are the safest thing around.  You can be attached to the tree from the moment your feet leave the ground.  

Too many accidents occur with people climbing up and down fixed stands.  Very rarely do stands fail or someone just looses their balance while in a stand.  

With fixed stands, once you climb up then attach your safety harness, you have already assumed 95% of the risk, so why bother putting on a safety harness.  Ladder stands would be he exception to this theory tough.

Anyway, you asked if climbing stands are safe, the answer in my opinion is yes.  However they do take some getting used to.  If you buy one, the first time you put it in a tree you will probably hate it.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
as long as you use a harness and a haul line for your gear they are great!JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Climbers are safe until you have a wreck. They take awhile to get used to. Safety harness might be a good thing.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I'm not going to name a anything other than the brand I use ,But I have tried them all rather hand ,Or sit and climb ,And some of the others the one I use now I would not replace or have any other if I was going to be in a tree .

I was hunting on my land  yesterday, I was noticing how many straight white oak trees I have and I thought this is the best option I have a climber

The one I'm using is called "Treewalker "

At first I was worried about if it would do damage to the tree ,It does not .I use a muddy safety harness ,Doesn't even feel like you got the thing on .But when you purchase it, it comes with two climbing belts and a tether And a deer drag  .

As far as the climbing stand I spent from 12:00 noon to 7:30 PM in one tree Yesterday  ,And I did fall asleep for a while .It is really comfortable .I use no foot straps, The climbing stand is designed with bars right in it for your feet .It is balanced so that when you put your feet in it and pull up the other in automatically goes up .I am up the tree in about 5 minutes .And I am not huffing and puffing when I get there .The seat is wedding .So you slide it back push the top part up slide the seat forward ,And you're good to go .I had a rope between the two of them ,But I've never had an occasion where one has dropped because of the way it's designed ,It will stick with a tree before it goes down all the way to the bottom.

It's the most comfortable  climber or Treestand I have ever been in .I went all out with mine ,I got the gun rail ,Mainly because you can flip it to the back or the front ,And with it you can slide your seat to the front and set facing the tree .I wish I would have had this one years ago .I think I paid $350,Because I also got the concealment camouflage leaves ,Which I don't even use .

Give Don a call,He will talk to you about your needs ,Oh by the way I use a 62" Longbow ,Never has given me troubles .

I have the one with the removable bar in the front ,I've never removed it and the one with the permanent bar is 2 inches longer .Great stand and comfortable

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©