3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are climbing treestands safe???  (Read 919 times)

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are climbing treestands safe???
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
I have used a climber since the mid 70's with only a few problems that were self induced. Tie your stand to your climber, bungy off both when you get to your hunting height and always use a saftey harness.
Just as James said, I've had my share of blunders and all were caused by me.  Climbing stands are only as dangerous as you make them, use common sense, and trust your instincts.  If something feels like it's just not right, then it's probably not.  With that said, be safe and good luck.  :thumbsup:

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. Im gonna get one, I have alot of locations in which it can be very useful. Just wanted to check before i bought.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I met a man two weeks ago who was climbing down a ladder stand when the top strap broke and he fell backwards coming down on his heel on a cyprus knee.  Destroyed his foot and though he miraculously survived, he lost his leg knee down. I've used every type of climber, ladder, hang on, saddles, etc. and it is by the grace of God that I have not had a bad experience. Started with homemade models in the late 60's till today.  Buy the best you can get, use your harness and anticipate potential exposures and problems. Think safety.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I met a man two weeks ago who was climbing down a ladder stand when the top strap broke and he fell backwards coming down on his heel on a cyprus knee.  Destroyed his foot and though he miraculously survived, he lost his leg knee down. I've used every type of climber, ladder, hang on, saddles, etc. and it is by the grace of God that I have not had a bad experience. Started with homemade models in the late 60's till today.  Buy the best you can get, use your harness and anticipate potential exposures and problems. Think safety.
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Take a look at the TREE WALKER stand's.Very light and comfortable.I have tried every major brand and a few of the minor brands.And hands down in every aspect the tree walker i superior.Thanks,Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
Was looking at a LW the other day and was surprised that the bases aren't painted.  Tough for me to swallow at that price tag, although I'm sure they're well worth it in features.

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
Magoo hit the nail on the head- they are as safe as the hunter using it. I myself had a scare at 20' taking short cuts, never again.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
Like a loaded gun, attentiveness to safety is key!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
Climbing stands are as safe as the people using them.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
I've been using a climbing stand for over 15 years & like others said are quite safe if you pay attention to what you are doing & use a safety harness.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
I started with a climber -- Baker. I replaced the platform on it at least twice.  Frankly, compared to climbers today I'm happy to have survived those days!

I've had a Summit (Viper or Cobra) for a very long time (10 years?) although I rarely use it -- I probably use it once every 3-4 years once.  Most of my stands are lock ons because I like trees with lots of cover which usually means lots of limbs and the climber doesn't climb in these trees.

When I use the Summit, with requisite climbing rope and harness I feel very safe because the climber completely encloses me.  I don't feel quite as mobil in the climber to turn around and take shots from the opposite side though.

there are probably a lot more dangerous lock on stands out there that have been left in the tree for years with the same ratchet strap.  I replace or add ratchet straps nearly every year.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Borrow a friends and try it in the back yard. you have to get used to the mechanics of it. Most of the accidents are from rushing and carelessness.Try one out at home first.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
I have tried a lot of climbers never found the ultimate climber but I think with proper use and a harness they are safe.the user has to do their part and keep cables and belts replaced according to manufacture.as far as safe and ease of use and price the summit is a good stand my biggest issue with them is the teeth that bite into the tree need to be sharper I sharpen mine.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I've been using climbers since back in the Baker days (nightmare of a stand BTW).  I watched a buddy practice climbing a tree with his.  He weighed maybe around 230 or so at the time.  He got up around 17 or 18 feet when the stand let go and he did the express elevator thing for about 12 feet down.  It was the sudden stop that was probably the most dangerous aspect of that incident.  Quite exciting to watch (and he will never forgive me for laughing so hard!!!!!).  It took him a while before he actually used it again.  Those Bakers certainly did change the way we hunted whitetails though.

Although I mostly use fixed Lone Wolf stands these days, I do own a few climbers.  I believe the Lone Wolf S&C is the best I've ever used.  I do have a couple of Summits (Viper and Cobra).  The only scare I've ever had was with the Cobra.  After that, I pretty much decided I didn't care for hand climbers.  Also, the Summits are a bit on the heavy side.

The Lone Wolf climber is expensive, but it is also probably one of the best and safest out there.  Then again, as said before.....all of them are only as safe as the user.  Tie the top and bottom sections together and wear a harness.  Stopping every now and then to move the tie-off rope up the tree is a minor inconvenience considering one's safety.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
I have an older model Summit.  I have never had a problem that was caused by the stand.

I tried to go up a crooked tree one time, ( and it will be the last) as I was going around the crooked part of it, my bottom fell out from under me.  I got lucky and caught myself.  IT STILL HURT!!!!

I only clime strait trees now, and have not had a problem since.

As has been said before, try out a buds at the house first.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Yeah, definitely wear a harness. When I was about 16 (25 years ago), I was using my dad's tree stand for the first time.  He and one of his buddies had made several out of angle iron and sheet metal.  They were strong, but very basic.  The back of the platform, the part that touched the tree, was just a curved portion of the sheet metal.  You had to make sure you kept your weight out to the front of the stand.

There was also no hand climber, so you just put your feet in the straps and hugged the tree to pull yourself up.

Being young and stupid, I attached it to a tall pine, put my feet in the straps, reached around the tree with both hands firmly gripping my Winchester Model 94, and started inchworming my way up.

At about 25 feet, which I figured was high enough, I started to turn myself around. I still had my grip on my rifle, but as I shifted my weight on the platform I got a little surprise.  I found myself skidding down the tree with a fair amount of speed. I practically peeled the bark off that pine.

I did have the sense to start hugging the tree tighter as I got near the ground and I slowly ground to a halt about 3 feet off the ground.

Now, most folks would have probably gotten down and hunted from the ground. Not me.  I immediately shimmied right back up that tree.  I just made sure to keep my weight away from the tree.

Ah, the recklessness of youth.

Come to think of it, someone stole that treestand out of our garage not too long after that.  I think I may have actually felt a little tinge of pity for that thief.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I have an Equalizer.  I love how safe I feel using this stand. I also use a safety belt while climbing  up and down the tree and you can get pretty fast at it. I have used 3 different climbers and the Equalizer is the best I have used.

The downside to a climber----clearing the tree of all the branches on the way up---It leaves you naked up in the tree. I strap branches to the bottom, but that makes it a little harder to climb. Also, make sure you choose a tree that gives you cover by being in another group of trees, if that makes sense.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Started with an old heavy steel Ammaker. Think it was finally outlawed for killing trees...& people. Take any slight weight off your platform & it was off to the rodeo.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Humming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
I have an API,I use on large trees and I have master locks in the pin holes so I can leave stand.I have an Lone Wolf that was my favorite,quite and the seat locks to bottom of stand to keep from shifting,but Ben is a little worried about me using it because someone said there was a problem with the bolts braking.I have a new one called the Equalizer,this is my new Catalic it has so meny features and accessories it would take a page to list look up on line EqualizerTreeStand.com

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I too had a Baker at one time. I can honestly say
I'm lucky I did not get seriously hurt with that stand. Typical scenario up the tree the platform drops and you come down, HARD. I raked the flesh off my hands, face and stomach trying to hold on in the black dark. Just a kid then and really no one to show me the proper way. I'm not sure anyone knew the proper way back in the 80's.

I just sold a LW Hand Climber. Execellent product and safe, but too small for me.

I just received a Ol MAN via UPS yesterday and will practice climbing today. It's larger than most people would want to carry but it only weighs 21 lbs and they claim the mesh seat is comfortable. We'll see.

The main thing about any stand is you practice and get comfortable with it. Take your time and NEVER EVER go up with out a safety harness. Watch the DVD included with your stand follow the safety procedures. It will give you a tremendous sense of confidence.

I have a friend who also purchased a Ol Man this week. He's never owned a climber. He asked me if he could come over this week and practice climbing. I told him absolutely. I wish someone had been available to help me when I started.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©