3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting pics  (Read 253 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting pics
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Lets see some of your ground hunting pics. Dead critters, set ups,clothes....etc. I may have to finish the year on the ground or even more due to tore muscles. I need some confidence so help me out. I`ve killed a lot of deer from the ground but 90% were "chance" encounters.Thanks,RC

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting pics
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
I have been thinking about this also RC. I have been in on some critters on the ground but have a lack of savvy when it comes to "on purpose"
I will keep watch with you.Maybe I need a pacseat.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Gotta be sneaky, and somewhat lucky. Here's last year's fall turkey taken by spot and stalk.

And one of last year's whitetails, another spot and stalk kill...

I hope to do as well this year. I spend a lot of days in the field, and I think that is a definite key to taking game on the ground. The older I get, the slower I get, and that helps as well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
You must pay a lot more attention to the wind direction and effective camo is an absolute must!
If you plan to hit the ground moving, as in stalking, still hunting, cruising, whatever you want to call it....You must move very slow and pay attention to every detail. This is one of my favorite styles of hunting, and I have walked right up on lots of game, deer, squirrels, rabbit, turkey, but you don't always get a shot.

I don't have any pics for ya at the moment, but I'm ground hunting there with ya because of my p*** poor shooting from a treestand with my recurve and the fact that I am going to kill one with traditional tackle or nothing at all.

Good Luck.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I`ll be setting up on stuff I normally would climb on. I`ve been killing pigs deer and small game on foot for years I`ve just not sat up on them in a blind or such very much.
 I usually kill at least one deer on the ground slip hunting.
  I have a Ghillie type coat and I`m gonna dive in as quick as my leg heals enough I can get to some good spots.Thanks for the input fellas just wanting to see some "kills" and maybe set ups for Deer.RC

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
RC,
 You should really consider one of the blinds out there, and use a fold up type chair. That way if you get uncomfortable or having pain, you could move and not worry so much about being picked up. By the looks of some of those trails you posted pics of, don't think you would have much trouble seeing something..

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Here was one of my turkey blinds.  Never got to see if it would work, since the turkeys never came into the area while I was there. Probably would have been picked off, like I was in some other better blinds I didn't get pictures of. Turkeys have sharp eyes.  One of the group always seems to find something they don't like.  worked once though, so I'll keep trying.  

The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I love my ghillie!!!

Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
How the heck do you draw and shoot your bow in that thing?
Around here the stick tites and briars would drive you crazy in somthing like that.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Stick tights, cockleburs and "wait a minute" vines are a pain in my part of the state too! Early season, I just set in one spot, late season it's easier to still hunt!!  Critters just don't see you!!  I did trim my bow arm and a little off the left chest and clipped a few in front of my eyes.
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
Corn fields on a drizzle or heavy fog day and predator fall brown camoflage.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
MP1SG, Are you From Laingsburg?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Well, it sounds to me you have been plenty successful on the ground and should not need any pointers. However, if you insist. (I like posting pics).

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©