3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How wide is a moose?  (Read 291 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
How wide is a moose?
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I'm shooting 31" aluminum shafts. Just wondering how much of my arrow, if it doesn't pass through, will take out both lungs? I expect to pass through or bury to the fletch, but curious how much.....
OK, I'm just getting really excited and all sorts of things are going through my head.    :bigsmyl:
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How wide is a moose?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
No idea on moose but I was suprised when I measured across the chest of a cow elk after shooting her through the heart, It was only 10" at the forward part of the chest where it starts to narrow.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
I have seen a few Elk down, and knew they weren't too thick, but I am curious about a moose---those are great big animals.  However, I'll wager that if you get penetration to the fletching, you'll get both lungs.  I am just guessing of course since I've never even seen a moose other than in photos.  Can hardly wait to hear from someone who actually knows.

Joe

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
About wide as a horse, just guessing. I think if you get 18"-22" arrow in there you probably past the sternal septum and into the second lung.
USMC 82-86

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
A few years back I shot a real nice Canadien Moose , the shoulder mount is about 26" wide at the shoulders .
Greyfox54

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Narrower than a horse. More than an elk. Age has alot to do with it also. A big bull with heavy rack will be thicker. Have seen many moose while living in AK. Only ever saw one downed by a hunter. Several downed by cars and trucks.

Your 31 inch arrow, unlesss shot quartering, will stick out on one side or the other if no pass through is achieved.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
They are very big to very very big. Where will you be hunting. The moose up north in Canada and Alaska are much bigger than the little ones down in the lower 48. If you are to the fletch you are getting both lungs in a broadside shot but remember, the arrow in the animal plugs the hole a bit so a pass through is ideal, but difficult.
Dav

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Yeah, sure would have to do with what subspecies, sex, and age. There’s a huge size difference between an old mature Alaskan/Yukon bull and a young Shiras cow.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I've seen older moose get pretty thick. A lot thicker across the middle than most bull elk. Younger bulls are a lot like most guys in their late teens- not filled out yet. Much thinner in cross section than when they are older.

I was going to say 16 to 18 inches, since you don't have to have a complete pass through to take out the off side lung.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
The narrowest part of a moose's torso is just behind the elbow.I would bet less than 20" on a Canadian moose.16-18" may be right on.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
JimB is right on. The largest Alaska bull on Earth is no more than 24 inches from rib to rib right behind the leg. 18-20 inches would catch most mature Alaska Yukon bulls.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. I'm heading to NFD on Friday morning. I'll try to shoot straight on broadside animal. May my 2-Blade Magnus slip between the ribs and do the job quickly.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
my arrow was 28 inches long and went in half way. It went thru the bulls heart.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
About 3/4 as wide as a woman from Ashford WA...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Paul WA:
About 3/4 as wide as a woman from Ashford WA...PR
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
I have shot 4 moose...they are not very wide..inside the chest 12" at best....Last year a friend of mine shot a bull I called in for him and he put an arrrow through the heart and in the low chest it was less than 1 foot....They are much narrower than a horse. Moose are wimps compared to deer when you put an arrrow in the chest cavity. They bed quick and don't run marathons like deer.  Alot of experience with them. We have taken 10 moose between a few of us TRAD hunters. Put one in the chest and they don't go far. 600 grn arrow with good flight from your bow will do the trick

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Thanks Double Trubl.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©