3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need some setup advice from you whitetail experts.  (Read 223 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
need some setup advice from you whitetail experts.
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
okay here it is, hunting state land. good mast crop this year. already alot of hunters hunting the hardwoods over the acorns. trying to get away from them. my area has alot of old 15yr and new 3yr clear cuts. now no one i ever seen hunts the clear cuts, sometimes along the edges but never in them. its very thick, with trees that you could put a hang on in but only get up 8-10ft. smaller size trees. i dont want to hunt from the ground if i dont have to. could i get away with being in the clear cuts only that high. im tryin to avoid other hunter and get where the deer mite feel more comfortable. im trying to find those little holes or nitches that will get me away from hunters and into deer. any advice?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some setup advice from you whitetail experts.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
That's about how high I go up, as long as the canopy is still there, you don't have to go very high. You just have to be more careful when moving and make sure you don't have any odor going towards them. Use cover sprays and good camo., and be ready to take the shot when it happens.

Oh, and remember small trees move in the wind more than the big ones do.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
8-10 foot up will work if you have good cover and hold still. The downside of small trees is that any small movement shakes the whole tree.

The edges of those clear cuts, especialy where they meet mature timber make the type of edges I love to hunt. If you can find one of those edges combined with good mast or a pinch point it would be ideal in my opinion. Bucks love to cruise those edges scent checking for does.

and I am far from an expert but I did spend last night in a holiday inn express!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
it does meet up with mature timber and good mast, but can you consider a clear cut to be a pinch point? the land is flat where im hunting at.
the trees have good cover now but when the leaves start falling, there wont be much to hime me.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Look for where a fence, hollar, ditch etc. meets the clearcut that will cause a pinch point. A low spot runing through the mature timber going to the clear cutt can cause a funneling effect as well. Anythig that will concentrate the deer into a smaller area willup your odds tremedously.

Don't forget to consider the predominant wind direction into your set up as well!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©