3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climbing treestands without breaking the bank????  (Read 769 times)

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Climbing treestands without breaking the bank????
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Hey guys, been hunting alot of flat open terrain this year and thats not really my normal MO. I'm used to stalking steep rugged terrain and the steep rugged terrain is key with my normal ground tactics. So in some scenarios I think a tree stand would work well. So who makes a good climbing treestand for less than 200 dollars???
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climbing treestands without breaking the bank????
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I see climbers on craigslist.com all the time pretty cheap.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Chris,

I think you first need to decide if you want one with an open front or can live with the bar across the front.  The bar is really handy for doing sit and stand climbing, but isn't really needed.  Personally I can't shoot the bow out of one with a bar across the front as it always interferes with the bottom limb of my bow.  An open front one is much easier to shoot from, but some people find them uncomfortable being open.  They aren't any different than a fixed stand when you are sitting in them though in that respect.

The next thing to consider would be weight.  I know you are a young guy so it might not be as important to you as it is to us older guys, but think about how far you want to hump it into the woods.

As far as finding one, I think looking on Craigslist (as suggested by John) or here in the classifieds for a good used one is a good start.  You should be able to find a gently used one for less than $200.  There is a Summit Viper on the Baltimore craigslist right now for $160 that is open face and would do everything you need it to do.  There is also one for $175 in Pasadena, MD.  That one is a Timbertall and at 12 lbs is one of the lightest and best made stands there is.  I have 2 of them and love them.  They have a self leveling feature so that if you misjudge the taper of the tree, you can level the platform and the climber when you get to hunting height.

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
just buy a lone wolf handclimber and skip the rest.  you won't regret it.  otherwise, you will buy and sell multiple noisy, awkward climbers until you finally decide to get a LW !
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
This is one product where I would recommend spending a little more money upfront.  A climber is something that if you buy a quality one it will last you for a long long time.  I really like the Tree Walker stands.  They make one with a bar across the front that is easily removable, so you can climb easily with it and then remove it while you're hunting for an unobstructed shot.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
It seems as the price goes up the weight comes down.    :)  

I like the Ol Man tree stand, they are about $150 at Sportsman's Guide. They have a mesh seat you climb in and then sit on it when hunting. It comes with a bar that reverses up or down for a gun rest or foot rest. I always use it as a foot rest and it is out of the way for longbow shooting.

The stand is very stable and comfortable, but that sucker is heavy.

I usually hump it in to an area and then just move it from tree to tree in the same general area.
They have the same stand in aluminum. Much lighter and twice as expensive.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
my summit bushmaster is less than 200. Buying new you know what you have. You have no idea how a used stand was/was not used. You're life  and that of your family is probably worth the differnence in price.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I just bought a Summit Open Shot.  I really like it and my wife found it for $199 new at a local store.  The seat is very comfortable and folds up when standing.  I like the seat better than the Summit Viper I sold to fund this one.  I got rid of the Viper because of the arm rail
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Doug Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
If you can find a used Lone Wolf get that, it's the quietest, most rugged, most secure stand I've owned. I had a Summit Bushmaster before that, and if my limit was $200 for a new stand I'd get one of those again.

Doug

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
don't cheap out, your life is at stake! Lone Wolf....period!

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
I just sold a Lone Wolf hand climber because I didn't like it. That being said Lone Wolf is an ecellent product.

You need to try different stands before you buy.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
second on checking craigslist under sporting goods.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Buy a used Lone Wolf.

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kyle Lancaster:
Buy a used Lone Wolf.
yep
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
:clapper:  TreeWalker   :clapper:

It's a Climber and the last one you will need

Best stand I have ever been in !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Slewfoot62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Get on the big auction and you can buy a Summit Openshot Deluxe for just a little over 200.00$ . I think you will like it.

Offline bamacrazy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
I just bought a Summit Viper Classic at Academy for $169....

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Don't go cheap, your life depends on it.  Spend the money and get a Lone Wolf or Summit.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Chris, if you are limited on your funds do not feel as if you are getting an unsafe stand as some of these guy's are suggesting. Like was said before the more it cost the nicer the features and the lighter weight they are but the "CHEAPER" stands are still safe stands!! I would reccomend a Gorilla brand climber they have a nice comfortable seat much like the Summit's seat. The weight is heavier than the other brands suggested at 27 pounds but when they are on sale for $99.00 they are hard to beat. You can always upgrade later when you have more funds available and pass the "cheaper" stand along to someone else in need of a climber. Just remember to always wear your safety harness and you will enjoy the mobility of a climber!!!  Good Luck..Henry
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Summit Viper all the way for me.  Had one for 5 years now and no squeaks, noise or anything.
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©