3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Duper Hog info thread  (Read 43901 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Duper Hog info thread
« on: February 08, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
Ok, here goes! There is a heck of a lot of questions reguarding hunting hogs with Archery equipment. The questions range from what equipment to use, how to hunt hogs, where to find hogs, how to clean hogs, are big hogs edible, are they good to eat, can I use calls, do scents work, etc., etc.??????
Im going to try and share all the knowledge I've gained over the years with you in the most informative way I can. I certainly am not Gods gift to hog hunting but a fella can't help but learn a few things spending 3-4 days a week in the woods with hogs.

Opening info is to determine which type of hog you are hunting. There are two very different type of hogs out there. The first type is what I call "Herd Hogs". These are younger hogs that always run in a pack. The pack consists of 10-25 hogs generally and range from 20# to around 150#. Generally the larger hogs will be Sows.

The second type of hogs are the dominant hogs. These hogs will either run singular or will run in a very small group of 3-4 hogs. These hogs are generally from 175# to the largest available. The Singular hogs are generally aged hogs that have seen everything the world has to throw at them. These are the true trophy's and require greater skill and determination to acquire as a trophy. Be prepared to fail if you have set out to hunt a lone, aged boar hog! These guys are sharp!

Herd Hogs) These are the hogs people are talking about when you hear people say that hogs are dumb and blind. NOT SO!!! These hogs are in constant competition within the group and try and beat each other to a food source. They are so busy competing that the word ceases to exist around them. As Mark Horne says, "kids can kill a herd hog". These hogs rarely use their God given sences are are driven entirely by their desire to eat. Gluttony is a perfect word used to describe a herd hog.

Dominant Hogs) These hogs will pose a challenge as great as any trophy animal out there. These dominant hogs don't have such a regimented daily routine such as the herd hogs. The dominant hogs will rarely enter the shooting lane of an Archer without first scrutinizing the entire area. I've had these big hogs circle me repeatedly for hours trying to locate the source of danger that they know is there. You will rarely kill a dominant hog over a baited spot. Scent on the other hand will sometime allow you to coax the bruiser into an opening. Sound will also coax a giant. More later, CK

PS. There are about 6 guys on this site who hunt hogs a hell of a lot. If you guys see something I'm leaving out or wish to add your expertice, please feel free. This thread is here to help those with a bit less knowledge gain some insite. CK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Duper Hog info thread
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
Cool stuff!  Now this weekend I'm looking for a herd hog then a dominant hog.  I'll be hunting the baited areas for the 80#r and sneaking the back eddies for the big boy.  Worked for me last year.  Heck even a fat bowhunter can find a hog now and then.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »
Curtis,

Thanks for starting this thread; I'm new to Texas and have never hunted hogs before, but I am looking forward to trying it.  I know that there is no substiture for experience, but I am really looking forward to learning as much as possible from you and the other guys on here who have already learned alot of these lessons the hard way.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks Curtis.  This kid has NO knowledge about hog hunting.  There are a few spots here in Ks. that have some hogs so this may give me a better start if I get the chance to hunt some!

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Study the Anatomy. Lots a folks hit em the the spot their aimin' and end up aimin' in the wrong spot. Then, it's time to do a squirrel imatation...      "[laffsmyl]"    

Good thread Curtis. This should clear up and answer alot of hawg stuff...

www.texasboars.com\\anatomy.html
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Great idea Curtis.  I'm hoping I can make it back west some day and hunt with you again.  

For now, I'm looking for a place here in KY.  There are a few around, if you can find them and get permission.

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
Hey Aeronut, I got a line on some hogs west of Lawrence, Ks.   Going out this weekend to chase them.  Going to use some of Curtis's advice, and a lot of shoe leather.  Will post if we have any luck.
Mel Riley

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
Great Curtis!!I'll be reading this till the end.Then one day I may be ready.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
Thanks Curtis.

Offline tms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
Hey Curtis,

I'm going on my first hog hunt, in two weeks.  Anything you impart between now and then is golden to me.

Thanks again,
Tom

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
Curtis: please explain the "coaxing" with scent or sound. Thanks

Offline Boris196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Great information!! This will be my fourth year down and I've taken 5 hogs on the last three trips and didn't know some of that.

I shot a Dominant Hog my first year stalking, but his attention was diverted by the hot babe in front of him.  Hopefully I can use some of this to get another Dom Hog this year.
Son of Ferret

Offline Boris196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »
That was a great link Bacote Kid.  You did a great job of pointing everything out, and what a great idea.  I'll be sending that link to some of the first time hunters that are going down with me in two weeks.
Son of Ferret

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
thanks curtis,
Ionian and I are planning a hunt for later this fall, about 3rd week of october. don't know really where to start or where to go. if anyone wants to point a couple newbies, well one newbie and one hunter (nick) to some hogs, drop me a line.
again,great thread curtis, i'll be hangin on it.
dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
Matt Schuster kills a lot more hogs than anyone I know in GA........Might get him to chime in, but Matt stays pretty quiet....I'll give him a poke and see if he'll yelp.

In the mean time.....I'm all ears Curtis.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
HAWGS. The Poor Mans Grizzly. Also known as the North American Rhino. Proceed with caution but above all PROCEED. Nuthin like huntin' sumthin that'll hunt ya back. My favorite are the European strain hawgs. AKA Russians. Warning, yer bow don't make a real good fendin' stick. If ya stick on and give em the "REDS" climb son climb !!!   :thumbsup:
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bacote Kid:
 Also known as the North American Rhino.
Haven't heard that one yet....but I sure wont forget it.
  :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm love'n this thread.I'll be going on my 1st hog hunt soon,in S.Carolina.Any INFO I can get is appreciated.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
Ray Hammond knows how to bring home the bacon too! Man, this is gonna be great!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
Terry flatters me.   There are lots of guys down here who kill more hogs than I do but I do get after them a lot.  I hunt them mostly by spot & stalk and the information above is good stuff, especially the part about knowledge of the anatomy.   Lots of guys lose hogs because they liver shoot them, then follow up way too quickly.  They come back to camp saying they lost a perfectly hit critter. The lungs on a hog are up tight to the shoulder and get higher as they extend back and a liver shot hog will live for a very long time.   Also, new hog hunters often are not aggressive enough when they close on hogs for the shot.   With their noses, when you get close you better move in and shoot.   If you hang around too long  and don't have a perfectly steady wind, you will get smelled.    I do not shoot heavy poundage because of a bad back (58#) but do shoot very heavy arrows and two blade heads when hunting bigger hogs, although I love Wensel Woodsmen and will shoot them at smaller hogs, which I prefer  anyway.   That's my two cents for what it is worth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©