3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Duper Hog info thread  (Read 43900 times)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Duper Hog info thread
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
OK, This is gonna be quick. Im about to go after some evening swine.

Some things I left out in the starting statment. Herd pigs don't always run alone with just their little group. As the Sows come into heat dominant Boars from around the area will stage up behind the herd hogs as they travel. As hogs travel, they generally are led by the smallest to the largest, in that order. If you are hunting bait, you will constantly see this happen. In comes the little dumb one, followed by the teenagers, and then young adults. Here's where the kicker comes in. If ya have a sow in heat in the bunch, there is a good chance there is a dominant Boar and maybe some contenders there as well. It takes these bruisers a little time to make sure all is clear and then they'll ease on in but they will always come in last. The trick is to remain calm and patient. That truly is the hard part. Next installment later tonight. I've got a great Moon to hunt this evening. CK

Offline FLGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
Keep it goin, open the flood gates boys!!!!  I wanna learn more about hog rasslin, gettin down, dirty, and close!  How about some inside hands on wrasslin  info.      :campfire:

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
Whoaaaa, excellent thread Curtis!!!   :thumbsup:   I'll be doing my first hog hunt this spring and will soak up the info like a sponge.  This is just great.......
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
I'll drive ya nutts with this but remember to keep it low and tight to the leg...   :thumbsup:
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
Bacote Kid, That's the same shot on a bear.  I'm gettin' pumped for the TXS06 now!  Thanks CK really informative stuff...Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bacote Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
Tippit you talkin about the Texas Shoot out. There will be a guy there from Finland named Petri there. He is gonna make it out to our place in the Hill Country and chase some free range Black Buck Does while he is in Texas. Let me know if you're interested. We ain't a commercial ranch but we do some hunt's from time to time. Affordable daily rates with 2 doe per day minimums. Spottem rate is real high. Gettin close enough to get an arrow in one is another story. Check out Sars thread Black Buck Antehopelss...
Bob Lee Heavy Weight. Burled Bubinga/Black Micarta 55# @ 28". 58"

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
Great assesment on the big boars CK.

Dumb and Blind ??
 there's a couple of them that have being making a fool out of me for a few months now.

Manny
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 07:39:00 AM »
one thing that was mentioned and i will say it again .pigs aren't a north American animal come from the old world so thier vitals are positioned forward of where they are in the animals native to here like white tails .so go for shoulder or angling forward .also from experience my one and only piggy , you won't get much penatration going through the shield .got less than 6 inches from 15 ft with 53# bow and sharp broadhead .found out i can shoot real fast LOL .--- herb--- hope to practice what i preached in a month -- come on Texas Sweat
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
If we lived in hog country we'd kill a pile of em, and chase them all the time, unfortunately we have to drive 1000 miles to get into hogs..but it's worth it LOL. Son Brian leaves in a couple weeks for another hog trip to Fla. I think between me, Dianne and Brian we've killed just shy of 40 hogs, and been in on maybe 100 hog kills. We've shot em over corn feeders, shot em spot and stalking and shot them chasing them with dogs. All 3 methods have their own strength and weaknesses. We prefer spot and stalk, are most successful using the dogs.None of the methods are fool proof.

Big ol hogs with long bodies, deep bellies and lots of ivory are a lot like big ol whitetail bucks. While they may be a little lacking in the sight catagory but make up a lot for it in smelling, hearing and intuition catagories. Sometimes the only way to get a big tooth boar hog is when he's caught up in following a sow in rut like CK mentioned (just like a big ol whitetail buck). Other than that you have to route them out of the extremely thick stuff with dogs, especially if there has been any hunting pressure on them at all. But after you've killed a few big boars it's actually more fun to chase the meat hogs. More accesible, more easily spotted, more easily stalked, more easily killed (no shield to deal with)and better on the grill IMO. These hogs will go from 40-140 pounds where we hunt.

When shooting a big boar in the 185-200 pound range or bigger, chances are he'll have a pretty substantial shield 1 1/2 -3" thick. I have seen arrows out of light weight bows bounce off this shield and arrows from med-heavyweight bows stick in it but not make it to the vitals. We wait until those big boars quarter away pretty severly and shoot 1/3 of the way up the body, behind the ribs, aiming forward for an exit spot between the front legs.That usually does the job pretty quickly.

If you "deer" shoot hogs broadside, you've got problems. Hit them right and they fold up like yesterdays newspaper.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »
OK, My night hunt was uneventful so we'll move on.
Lets do  scents, baits and attractants  next. I hope everyone doesn't include everything they've ever used that worked. This will be a long thread indeed if that happens. Most anything stinky will grab a hog by the nose. Lots and lots of baits will work. This includes but is not limited to Strawberry jello, diesel, sour corn, rotten vegetables, and one of my favorites, fish. If you are planning on a upcomming hunt you can start your bait/scent now. The best I've found and is most widely used is plain ol corn. The next is sour corn. The juice drained off of a bucket of sour corn is great attractant scent if you live in an area where baiting is illegal. Soak corn in a covered bucket of water or beer for a couple of weeks. Use the corn where permissable or just the juice where it is not.
This works well also with fish if you bowfish a lot. Just cut up the fish into chunks, soak in a bucket of water till things start to smell bad, drain the water off and use the water as attractant.
We'll cover how to use and where later. This gives you time to start your own stink factory.

Hog Estrus and Dominant Boar scents: I must say that I was as excited as I could get when I was told about this stuff. Let me say it works sometime. The down side is that it works in very specific situations "like calling" and doesn't seem to work at all in other situations. The trick with the commercial scents is to use them where hogs will already be. In otherwise, you can use them around a bait site, along a well traveled trail, or around a pond that is getting hit daily. If you just use the scents randomly, hoping to draw a hog across the countryside, pack a lunch. You are going to be on a long wait. Beware when using these scents around yourself. The Estrus and dominant Boar scents bring out the fighting side of boar hogs and I've had at lease one very close call because I was stupid when using the scents. The key to everything is to use each tool available where and when you need to use it. That is important!

Here is the thing that is most important of all when using this stuff. I have learned this over and over and I still screw up sometime. Old hogs are very smart. These guys develop a routine and know everything associated with it. If a hog travels a trail every night and every night he runs past the same sights and same ol smells and all of a sudden one night you change something, it sets him on alert. He might like the smell of what you have offered but he is not stupid and most often will circle repeatedly, checking wind and anything he can see before going in. He will bust you  because of  the bait or scent! In other words, it is sometime best to NOT use baits or attractants especially with Dominant Hogs. If you've figured out their travel corridor, it is sometime best to just use the tools in the small pouch. If a feeder is something hogs are used to feeding at every night, they will generally rush right in without much thought. If you introduce a new scent to this area and they are used to no scent every time they are here, THEY WILL GO ON ALERT! The hogs that are used to rushing in will now start circling to try and figure out what has changed at their beloved bait site. You WILL get busted! OK, Im gonna let this soak in and hopefully get some other input. Please don't start listing every bait you've ever used. This will be the longest thread in history if you do. Thanks, CK

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 09:54:00 AM »
I've seen CK use a walking stick when he tracks a hit hog - looks a lot like a good hickory pick handle - even has a name though I forget what he calls it. Said he has had to use it once or twice.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »
Good stuff  CK. I plan on chasing a few during our spring turkey season. One thing I found out quick about the heard hogs or sounds.When they go from point a to b they ain't slippin around like deer.They get up and go at a pretty good trot,so ya better be ready.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
Shaun ,CK's persuader is called "sweet spot"    :bigsmyl:  almost as big as he is but not near as tough --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »
HaaHaaa! That pick-ax handle(Sweet Spot) has bailed me out of more than one tight spot that's for sure. No chance of anyone but the hog getting injured with that weapon as well.

Cajun hit on a great point when he noted that hogs make lots of noise when running in groups. We'll touch more on that when we talk about locating hogs. Location will be the last subject because we are going to be talking about very broad, Nation wide generalizations. For now lets talk about using scents and baits properly and we'll touch on calling hogs as well.

The place to use baits is in areas where hogs are known to be but seem to have no real routine. You can introduce baits and scents to these areas and generally within a week or two generate a routine that was non-existant before doing so. Once a pig has located a source of food he never ever forgets where it is. Even months after discontinuing baiting, hogs will return to the location to recheck it.

In areas where baiting is illegal, I would advise using scents or better yet, skip on down the page to "redirecting hogs". A good way to use scents is to dig a hole close to an area with hog sign already present. Dig the hole about 18" deep placing the dirt to one side. Pour some of your sour corn juice or fish juice in the hole and start backfilling a little at a time with the dirt you had originally dug out. Mix the scent with the dirt thoroughly as you fill the hole back in. Hogs will locate the scent and keep themselves busy for hours digging for the goody they know is in there somewhere. Diesel rags wired to tree stumps and pieces of creosote posts also will attract hogs. They will be drawn in to use these areas to rub themselves down. This is for insect control on themselves. I have huge trails on my home place that lead to a creosote pole that washed up in a flood.

Directing hogs and redirecting travel corridors: Like I mentioned before, many hogs develop a daily routine and rarely deviate unless something changes in the world they are used to. If you have found the lair of a large hog or have found an area that the hogs seem to be bedding in you can generally direct them with little effort. Generally these locations have trails that the hogs are traveling. You may choose not to use baits or scents and for you guys this will work as well. Set your stand location on the downwind side of the trail. Hogs are generally running when in travel so you will need to stop them for a shot. Find your point of ambush and create a detour in the trail using logs and debris. I will lay a log across a trail in a manner that will make the hog 1/4 my location as he goes around my detour. I generally place a few drops of vanilla or something similar at the end of the detour to make the hogs stop for the shot. You can also use detours with logs and debris to keep the hogs from circling downwind of your stand location. Use your imagination here. I also cannot stress scent control enough when setting up these locations. If a deer can smell your presence, a hog can smell you twice as good! Use your best ability in controlling your scent.

OK, Hog calling is next. Any question? Any input? I know the demeanor of hogs and the way they travel may be different by region. If you guys have input, please speak up. CK

Offline ptaylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
What great info! Please continue. I'm going to have to print this off when your done.

Offline Stalker58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
This is great stuff,thank's (in advance)for the great info.Can't wait to use some of this stuff.

:bigsmyl:

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 11:38:00 AM »
My input. Maybe this will help Some folks out.

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »
Water! I left out water! This is something that is absolutely imperative that everyone know. Hogs are water mongers! Im not a Vet, nor do I claim to know the full biology of hogs but I do know they will die in one day in a trap without water. I hear about it all the time from Ranchers around here. If you are experiencing any kind of dry weather pattern, find the nearest water source in relation to hog sign and you've got them. When I find pond during a dry spell that has hog sign present, I'll hunt the water in favor of a food source every time.  :thumbsup:

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »
Killed a "right smart" number of piggies on my Texas forays.  Always... Always.... sharp broadheads and wait for that quatering shot.  Like Ferret said it will do the job.

My bow poundage is from 53 and down so I weight my arrows a bit just for good measure.  Curtis and I shoot simular arrows although his are heavier.

I prefer shooting over bait from a stand.  Gives me time to "sorta scope out" the pig I want.  I do not shoot big ones.  I prefer 70-100 lbs.  Way good on the tabel.  Actually, my wife's orders.

I have done some spot and stalk and I have to totaly agree with Curtis and others, ya need to be aggressive when the stalk/shot start to come together.  These devils can smell a peanut a mile away.

I have killed a few with flat broadside shots but its a waiting game for the onside front leg to get to and stay in a good position.  Actually pooched a shot and dropped the pig like a rock by hitting the spine.  Dumb luck.  I would not try for that shot.

Keep it commin.... this is great stuff
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
One more thing I've learned is hogs are more sensitive to hunting pressure than deer.If you are not hunting a big piece of property it is real easy to run them off.We have several sounds that will be on our place early in bow season eating acorns but after a few weeks of hunting pressure they are completely nocturnal or just flat out gone.Now come on CK I wanna here about calling!Soooeeeeee!

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©