3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Duper Hog info thread  (Read 43948 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Duper Hog info thread
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2006, 11:25:00 AM »
when a couple boars are getting after a hot sow they can sound for all the world like what you would think a couple of silverback male gorillas would sound like fightin- just TEARIN' it up..they growl, grunt, wheeze, snort, blow- its a awful racket...and a great time to put the move on em...I've run into it 4 times in the last 5 or so years and every time I was able to get in there and get close enough for a shot...didn't get a shot in each situation but had a good chance and did take a couple boars out of the 5 chances.

They are not standing still, usually, like a couple of bulls rutting- they are moving, running, chasing- over a big area- at least thats the way it has been around here. I get very, very excited when I hear this kind of racket in the woods- the first thing I say to myself is like that fight announcer..." Let's get ready to RUMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: February 23, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
Stop it Ray!!!!!!!!! Im getting aroused! I just love to hear that sound myself! CK

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »
When I get within 50 miles of my place Curtis I swear I'm like a hunting dog in a box on the back of the truck- my tail is WAGGIN' till I get there, change my duds and GET AFTER EM as my buddy Greg Campbell says!!!!!!!!!

Other than elk hunting, hunting swine is the about the most fun you can have with your britches on!

Well, maybe I shouldnt have said THAT last remark quite that way... Let me rephrase that a little- its the most fun you can have huntin!!! How's that?  :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
Yessir! I raise my glass to that! CK

Offline dan massa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
I am just getting back into the traditional side of archery and loving it. This web page is great and has tons of useful info. I just purchased two bows (Bob Lee Stickbow 60# 66" and a PSE Sable takedown# 64")and planned on using the stickbow on a trip to Nolton Creek ranch the first week of March. My first hunt for hogs was probably begginers luck and I shot a 260+ pound boar with my wheelie. Does anyone have any info on the ranch and any tips to hunting a high fenced ranch?
Bob Lee Stickbow 66"  60#

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »
Don't know anything about that ranch. Unless it is a very small operation, you can just forget the fence exists. CK

Offline dan massa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
It is between Uvalde and Sabinal and operated by Les Zimmerman out of BarE ranch.
Bob Lee Stickbow 66"  60#

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
I have a question for you Ray, and anyone else with experience killing boars that are bowed up over a hot sow.  Do you think the meat was tainted in any way from the raging testoserone?

Another more general question...I have heard people say some hogs just taste bad.  I know one guy that says he likes to cut a small piece out of a hog and throw it on a hot skillet before he goes to the trouble of cleaning the hog because the smell will let you know right away from the smell if the hog will be "a bad one".

I haven't killed enough hogs to run across any bad ones yet, but some have been tougher than others.

Offline longbowfanatic02

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »
Dan , the best thing you can do at nolton creek is listen to les. He is a great guy and will put you on the animals to the best of his ability. My brother had real good luck hunting on what Les calls hog hill, he had about 50 come down the road. Good luck and have fun.. it is a real nice place.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2006, 06:58:00 AM »
I've had very little problem with hog meat, except right on the immediate coastline of GA. The pigs there live in the tidal grass and feed in the salt creeks, digging for the little tiny crabs especially.

That mud has the most awful smell to it at low tide, and the pig meat smells JUST LIKE THAT mud when you cook it!!!! I won't even go down there to shoot pigs any more because of that.

As to big boars- I have had a couple pretty rank ones that were only fit for sausage but for teh most part I've never felt the meat was tainted to the ponit we couldnt use it- so far! Again, my hunting is limited in range...just SE GA and Southern South Carolina.

There's no doubt, though, that if you want to cook and eat a pig then take a herd pig, between 75 and 125 lbs and you won't find any better eating on the planet.

Shoot a big boar to get a trophy would be my advice.

I'll pass on the recipe we use if anyone is interested?

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Cook strong smelling hogs on a open pit outside and not in your house. For some reason some hogs don't smell as bad as others. Size doesn't matter.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »
i ALWAYS cook it outside, on a grill...off the coals, letting smoke and indirect heat cook it slowly while I baste it with apple cider vinegar, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt...oh man!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »
The worst of the rank flavor is in the fat. If you take as much as you can off and slow cook shoulders, etc.(braise or smoke) you will have better luck. The sausage maker I use throws in a little domestic hog fat and will add cheese to some styles to give it a little fatty texture. Hogs tend to be real lean out here. Ray, the hogs that used to be out on Catalina Island were inedible! They ate seaweed, dead fish, each other whatever they could find. Nasty!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2006, 02:06:00 PM »
I've seen a lot of stuff that stunk over the years...but I've never smelled anything that rivaled those salt marsh mud dwellers for rankness!!!!!!!!

Yikes. Dead fish- I'm guessing they werent fresh either.....now that will curl your toes up just thinking about it!

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
Ray, Please reread the baiting section  :readit:  

That's not stink you are smelling. That's aroma de here piggy piggy! CK

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
I hear you, Curtis!!

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
Okay Littlefeather, I have some pictures for you to look over and tell me what you see in them. I was going after hogs yesterday here in SW Georgia and I came up on this hog bed. I know here have been some questions about the "bedding" aspect of hogs and I hope there are some answers in these pictures. This first picture shows a 15 yard circle area with more than 16 piles of scat all over the area. Look just above my bow and left and right of it. This is like the bathroom area of the sleeping quarters. There is a bedding area (nest) between the two large trees in the background. This is how I see things, so please tell me if this is different in your eyes.

Picture two is a different angle showing many piles of scat that are many days/months apart. I'm guessing that a herd will use this bed many times in a year? This is all news to me so tell me your thoughts.

Picture three is a close up of the bed (nest). I think they will nest up and climb all over each other during cold weather to stay warm. Is this what you see?

The fourth picture is a sixteen button rattle snake that will be on the back on my bow this summer. The first arrow missed 1 inch high. The second split his head.

Thanks for all input, Clay

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Clay, those are interesting pics. Let me ask you a question or two. Where are these "beds" located? Ridge, open range, or other? The reason I ask is because I don't generally see lots of scat around the bedding areas. I seem to see more scat around the feeding areas or between feeding and bedding areas than anywhere else. The other thing I see is that it looks more like a Sow with young pigs made the spot in the dirt. Generally, if this is truly a bedding area you'll see these same type (beds)spots scattered along the length of the ridge for maybe a 50 yard area and not just a small localized spot. They also will appear to have been made days and weeks appart but never right of top of a place that has been bedded in before. They will instead bed adjacent to an old bed and not right in it. Id say you are getting close to the pigs but I am thinking this is more of a transition between a feeding and bedding area. Maybe a mid-morning/mid-day nap area. Which way is East? Where is the nearest water. Is there a higher location in close proximity that affords good viewing in one direction but has a prevailing wind that is exactly the other direction? Remember, your area and lay of the land is unfamiliar to me so you will have to kinda chalk up some of this info yourself. You are close, no doubt. You also are behind them for over a week from what I see and they haven't freshened anything since. Im thinking you need to go uphill in the early morning and stay on the East ridges. Nice snake. CK

Offline DAGATOR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
You are right on target. The "nest" is in a known hardwoods feeding area 20 yards off the creek and on the east side of it. There is not any sun light to speak of in this dark creek bottom. All the hogs i see in this area are smaller herd hogs and sows w/piglets. There is a very "very" thick clear cut across the creek on the west side. This is another known bedding area for both deer and hogs.

Clay

Offline aussiebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »
interesting stuff...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©