3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Arrows  (Read 173 times)

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Arrows
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Hey guys this is my first post and my first year hunting traditional. I am 21 years old, I have worked in archery shops before got caught up in the over engineered bows. Now I have discovered a new love traditional ha and I am pumped but it seems like my questions are endless. My main question involves arrows. After working in the archery shop for years I have come to realize that arrow weight, FOC, and length can have substantial effects on your shooting and grouping. Currently im shooting a fred bear super kodiak 60# @ 28" im a 27 1/2 draw. My question is for all of you veterans out there if you had this bow set up what grain weighted arrows would you use and how would you disperse the weight (inserts, broadheads, gpi) I will mainly be hunting big iowa whitetails but a hog trip is never out of the question
Thank you guys for everything and I hope to carry on the tradition that is traditional
>>----> Lovin the mystical flight >>---->

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
Where are you from in Iowa? Went to high school at Pleasant Valley in Bettendorf, and I seem to be missing Iowa a lot recently.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Currently im in school at the university of iowa but im from bettendorf! Small World!

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Caleb,  When you mention arrows and gpi, then I can only assume that you want to shoot carbons.  Nothing wrong with that. I would think that you would want to stay close to 10 gpi and weight it up so the total finished arrow weight is somewhere around 550 grains.  That should work well on a muscled up whitetail, nothing like a little mass and momentum. Do a little bareshafting and it shouldn't be hard to tune it up for your bow and drawlength.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Caleb, I'm just north of you in Mt. Vernon If you need some help let me know.

doug77

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang Caleb!!

Enjoy the journey with the rest of us.

Looks as if you're getting hooked up with some other good folks from Iowa who can show you a few things but more importantly maybe make a life long friend or two.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Caleb Andes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Thank you creekwood and Doug I look forward to continuing my traddin and I will definitely take you up on that offer sometime doug thank you very much

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©