3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHY SHOOT A DOE ?????  (Read 1230 times)

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHY SHOOT A DOE ?????
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
> WHY SHOOT A DOE ?????
Cause they are made of meat !!!!!

:D

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Because I've never heard s'ghetti noodles being sexist...OR taters and onions, or bell peppers, or the grumblin' in my tummy!!!

'Sides; you ever try to stew an antler??
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
They are smart and quite a trophy and it is your tag and you can shoot whatever you want that's your business but for a healthy heard if you shoot the young does to keep the population under control and they eat real good.The young  and old does are going to both reproduce but the old does will produce a more healthy offspring which helps have a healthy heard which means bigger healthier young does and bucks.All these small scrub bucks is sign of over populated heard and their mother was a yearling doe.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Chili, stew, K-bobs, roasts, venison parm, .....   :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Because you only have so much food and bedding on your hunting grounds and if the does get it the bucks don't. Shoot 'em.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
They are easy to kill. You just need to be there when they are. Here is one that is 10 yards from one of my Double Bull blinds. Obviously I wasn't in it at the time.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by saumensch:

Originally posted by getstonedprimitivebowhunt:
...because I think a old mature doe with years behind it is one of the toughest deer to kill ..She's way smarter that any buck..
I dont know about this statement.I sure belief the ecperience of a hunter like getstoneprimitive, but around here i would say old does and old bucks are equally smart. The difference being that the bucks hormons erase his smartness when they jump in.
Kinda like humans aint it?    ;)  [/b]
i've never bought into the old doe is smarter than the buck nonsence. if this were true alot more people would have wall hanger bucks. sure a 1.5 year old buck is an idiot and occasionally you can blunder into a rut crazed big one doing something stupid. but i kill big does by the dozen every year. i work very hard just for 1 or 2 chances at mature bucks every year.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
because all venison tastes better than tag soup.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Generally speaking a Doe is going to have less fat on her than a older Buck. At least this is my experence from Processing my own over the past several years. Which makes the Meat much easier to process without getting the Fat in the meat, It you have ever Bit in to some Ground Deer that has to much fat in it then you will know why Does taste Better.

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Fred Hill I agree. I take my 5 allowed does every year to improve the quality of the herd and wish they would increase this limit.  I also only try to take the big mature ones cause I believe in allowing all deer to reach their full potential.  I have taken one mature buck in the last 3 years cause they just dont mess up very often.  Now I pass on 4 year olds and could take a few of them every year but to take that old sag daddy is another story.  They always know when something aint right.  But I do wish there were more hunters in our area like you guys who would shoot does.
JT

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
...I don't mix up smart ..with skiddish ! Plus I'm not talking about your ordinary mature doe..I'm talking about that 6-to 8 year old doe.. They don't make mistakes as much as a huge buck in rut. Most don't live that long... Hmmmm
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Backstraps!
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I read it all,So your tellen me we are supposed to shoot the ones with the pointy things on their heads!   :dunno:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I got busted by an old matriarch on Saturday. Had 6 does (2 fawns) within 15 yards and closer but she didn't like my blind and kept looking and moving and stirring the others up. I wanted to take a shot at her but she hardly every turned to the side always facing me and kept moving. In about 5 mins they all left. I have to admit that I was catching a nap when they arrived and probably made some noise when I woke up. The others just kept eating. 2 fawns were laying on the ground. But she knew. They are tough to hunt. She was big and would have really given a good start to filling the freezer.

sam

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Cause antlers are pretty to look at but they don't taste very good and meat from a doe is better tasting than tag soup just as Bob said.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Because I actually drew a doe tag this year . Buck only in most of my state,I miss the days of either sex tags.  :readit:  One other one I like to mentions is the cow elk,them mommas are smarter than most bulls. They are the eye's and ears of the bulls. 15 cows is 30 eyes looking around. Get a bull by it's self they are much easier to hunt I think. The mom's fight of predators all season from their young it gets them educated.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
i'll shoot either one given the chance.i hunt for the hunt,not the trophy.i just like being out in nature.you can't eat the horns and i don't have the wall space for a deer head.btw does taste great,steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
1.Hunting does is great recreation. I'm "caught" in the stand more often by an adult doe by bucks every season.  A doe with the job of looking out for herself and her fawns is a pretty wary beast!  

2. Does are just as good to eat as bucks.

3. Every deer hunter shoot try to keep the herd in proper gender balance by killing at least as many does as bucks, except in the rare case where you are trying to grow the herd.

4. If you are a buck hunter and would like to keep your button bucks (fawns) in the area, killing the doe before she runs him off (nature's way of dispersing the gene pool) is a good way to keep him in the neighborhood (research proven).

5. When I've decided I'm going to try to shoot a deer (hope to get a shot in other words) I get nervous -- buck or doe.  If its a small buck that I know I'll not shoot at, I barely get nervous at all. I believe, I settle down a bit after killing a doe or two before the hoped for old buck comes along.  The ideal season for me is to kill 1-2 does early. Then the buck comes along that I want to shoot.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I have friends that are sexist. They think there is no honor in killing a doe???  Can you believe that!

Around here all our gun seasons are buck only except for a couple of days when you can shoot does . . . but bow season is either or. The does make it through gun seasons pretty easily but the bucks don't live long enough to gather as much intelligence . . . the does are WAY more alert and have basically been their and done that with most set ups!  

To me they are the real trophies!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Just imagine what would happen if nobody ever shot one. It would not be a pretty sight.
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©