3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thanks Smoky  (Read 637 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks Smoky
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I thought I would post this about a new sponsor here , Smokies deer lures . Being a former trapper I know full well the value of good lures . I also know the damage poor lures can do . I called Smokey on the phone and he talked with me for almost an hour . Not many buisnessmen will spend that kind of time for a $25 sale . He's a real down to earth guy . I bought a bottle of his preorbital gland lure and it arrived Sept. 30th , I went out that afternoon to a heavily hunted area I like and made a mock scrape . I make a lot of mock scrapes every year using a real buck foot from either one I harvested or from a roadkill . I make them under a good overhanging branch . I like to set my stand angled about downwind to crosswind where possible and about 15 -20 yards away . I wasn't planning to hunt that particular scrape until the rut gets further along . I didn't expect any action for some time . Opening day for that zone was Sat. Oct. 2nd . I had to work some that day so couldn't get to an area I wanted to hunt.  ithought  would go to the scrape not really expecting anything but seeing the area is about 10 miles from home I could get there and hunt for awile .
    I arrived and climed into my stand with about 2 hours of daylight left . It was a perfect day in the pines . The rain had stopped and the woods smelled like only a pine woods can . It was sunny with very comfortable temps. After about an hour things settled down and I saw a small 4 point browsing along . He got crosswind of me at about 30 yards and stiffened up looking in my direction . I figured things were over when I realized he was looking past my stand at another bigger 4 point that was coming in from behind me . I could see a small doe feeding along behind him . They were a little skittish but when the bigger 4 point got downwind of the scrape he calmed right down . The three of them were feeding within 40 yards for 10-15 minutes .
           I was thinking things were going to work out for a shot when they all stood at attention and looked off to my right . I coulkd see movement a ways out but couldn't tell what it was . I realised it was a good deer when it got about 40 yards downwind and turned and started to come my way . It was feeding along but heading directly to the scrape . He was scent checking the air every few steps but showed no sign of being nervous . The scrape was about 15-20 yards to my left , which makes for easy shooting , and he was now about 18 yards broadside facing the scrape . I thought that I would just sit back and see how he was going to react to the preorbitol scent I put on the overhanging branch . One of the other deer made a sudden move and he casualy looked back at him , I immediately came to my senses , Thank God , and put an arrow through his lungs , and yes Bullfrog it was an interceptor .
       I have waited in the past to see what a deer would do and I got to see many of them slip away on me in plain site .I hunt pretty thick cover and they have a bad habit of getting a tree or branch between us and walking off .Som,e people say I shoot too quick but I wait for the first GOOD shot and take it .
      So the results are either I was just lucky or the lure drew him in . I think it did and I was even more impressed by the calming effect it seemed to have on them . I'm sold on Smokie's preorbital lure . Now I have fresh buck feet to make more scrapes with . Thanks Smokey !
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thanks Smoky
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Here's some pix...

Greyfox54

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Thats a cool story, good custumer service, and an awesome buck congrats Fred.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
very nice

:thumbsup:

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
good shooting!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   I'm gonna have to give Smokys a try.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Good job Fred! Gene and I use Smokey's preorbital on overhead branches at scrapes and licks when using our trail cameras too. We absolutely get more buck pics using it than without it. Good stuff. BW

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Very nice Fred!  Congrats!  :thumbsup:
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Good work GF54. Nice deer.

I too talked to Smokey & bought cover scent. Yesterday I had 2 doe walk straight towards me from downwind. *Too many times to be luck. They never smelled me but calmly turned around when I started shaking the tree moving around for the shot. They were less than 30 yards out. I moved the stand to a sturdier tree.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Nice buck Fred!  I'm going to have to look into some Smoky's myself. If you say it's the real deal it must be good.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline storm5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
Very nice buck and good shooting  :archer2:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Awsome Fred, what a good looking buck    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:59:00 AM »
Nice story Fred! thansk for sharing. I was just looking into Smokey's, now I will have to give it a try!
Congrats again

chris <><

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
thats an awesome buck greyfox,   :clapper:  way to feild test a new product too, ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Congrats on a real nice buck Fred; nice pics too. Never heard of Smokey's lures, I'll have to give them a try.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
Yeah Smokey gave me alot of info about his products via e-mail, very helpful. His lures are the real deal and you could not deal with a better guy.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Awesome animal!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Hes a beauty congradulatiosns.I gotta order some of that.Anyone know how he obtains it? Farm deer, kills??? Just curious.Ive looked before and dont think anyone else sells it.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:  

Lookin' forward to meeting you, Fred!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
awesome!!!

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Beautiful buck!! Congrats. Just ordered some of Smokys lure. hope it works have as well for me! Will let you guys know how it does for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©