3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 under best cure for nock pinch?  (Read 597 times)

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
3 under best cure for nock pinch?
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I have only shot for 3 years now and I didn't shoot that heavily my first two.  I always shot split because that's how I learned as a kid.  However, this year is my first without sights so I am practicing more and I formed a pretty nasty callus on my index finger from pinching the nock.  It's starting to bother me so much after practice sessions that I'm hesitant to shoot many arrows.  I see on here that a lot of people are glad they tried 3 under and I know that it would solve my nock pinch problem.  But it seems strange and inefficient to have the arrow so far from the furthest drawn point of the string.  Does shooting 3 under lose some of the bow's energy and effect arrow flight?  I like the sight picture of three under but I don't like the concept of sacrificing any of the output of my draw.  But I figure accuracy is what matters most and plenty have claimed to be more accurate with 3 under.  Is my assumption about 3 under causing worse bow performance correct?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under best cure for nock pinch?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I have been shooting 3 under for 2 years now, and have read most of the posts on this forum about 3 under since I switched.  None of the posts have mentioned any loss of performance from 3 under.  That said, there probably is some loss of performance, as the nock point is generally higher, which puts it further away from the midpoint of the bow.  There is sometimes an increase in noise, and I assume noise is energy not being used to propell the arrow.

It would be a fairly easy hypothesis to test, as most bows can be shot both split fingers and 3 under.  Just tune the bow for the same arrow, and shoot that arrow both ways through a chronograph.

BTW, I doubt that the results of your test would persuade me to switch back, as I find 3 under to be a much more accurate way for me to shoot, with no loss of performance that is evident to me, at any rate.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
I see, thanks for your thoughts McDave.  Pretty much what I suspected, I hate the idea of wasting some of the power but for better accuracy I'm sure it would be worth it.  And no nock pinch would be awesome

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
In NASP we've taught more than 7.1 million students to shoot (and 20,000 of their teachers) 3 under.  This style is much easier for a student to learn and control the arrow -- keep it on the arrow rest. I shoot 3 fingers under also and love it.  I always had a sore index finger where it touched the arrow nock.

Of course once you've mastered keeping the string untwisted as you draw with split finger the arrow will stay on the rest. I suppose I could have put a rubber stop on top of the arrow nock and solved the sore finger issue also?

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I'd recommend giving 3 fingers under an honest try, and see if it fits your style.

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I have shot both ways through a conagraph a can find no loss in arrow speed.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Of course, another way to reduce/avoid finger pinch is to shoot a longer bow.  No doubt that 3 under works for a lot of folks, but I'm uncomfortable with it.  Very little holding the arrow on the string with three under. Easy for the arrow to fall off/get pulled off at the most inopportune time. But, like I said, it works great for some.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
I have dabbled back and forth from 3 under and split finger style, and this year I have made the switch for good due to the fact that the more I hot split finger, the more my index finger hurt.  It's 3 under from here on out for me.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I've tried both, but I keep coming back to split. I just feel more confident for some reason. If you cant your bow, you need to remember to turn your hand to match the cant. When my index finger starts getting sore, I know my form needs work. I rotate my hand to match the string angle, and the soreness abates. I also notice less twang and my arrows fly better. I assume that is because, when I am pinching my finger, I am also torquing the string. A sore finger is my form barometer, I guess.    :archer:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I have a chronogrpah and found no loss of performance (speed) shooting 3 under.  It all depends on your anchor point though.  The benefit for me was more accuracy and I didn't have to cant the bow as much.  In fact I won the most improved for our outdoor league the first year I shot it.  There was no increase in sound either.  But it's easy enough to try.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I have shot three under for several years now and I don't see any reason to return to split.   Admittedly your mileage may vary.

Regarding nock pinch, I avoid this by using a double nock set.  ie:  two tied in nock points about 1/2 inch apart.  My nock point is directly below the top nock knot.  And I grab the string below the lower nock knot.

Regarding split fingers helping hold the arrow on the string, I don't like my fingers on the arrow regardless of finger configuration.  The arrow nocks should be firm enough on the string that they will not fall off without some sort of tap or firm tug.  And again, that is the way I do it.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I shot three under for about a year and half and switched back to split. When I chronographed my arrows using the two different methods I got 1 to 2 feet per second less for three under---not enough to write home about. Three under does seem to be a little more forgiving if you're  prone to torqueing the string.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Of course, another way to reduce/avoid finger pinch is to shoot a longer bow.  No doubt that 3 under works for a lot of folks, but I'm uncomfortable with it.  Very little holding the arrow on the string with three under. Easy for the arrow to fall off/get pulled off at the most inopportune time. But, like I said, it works great for some.
If you have proper nock fit then with the nock up against the nocking pt. and the index finger below the nock you shouldn't ever have a problem with not having a secure arrow to string connection.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
I've switched from 2 under to split 2 because it was much quieter. I found that when I was getting a sore index finger the elbow of my drawing arm was up too high. I make it a point to pull my elbow down so it is inline with the arrow and I don't have issues with finger pinch.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I shot three under way back and went back to split so I could have more arrow control for taking more varied and faster shots. Finger pinch, unless you are shooting a very short bow with a long draw, is most times caused by torquing the fingers on the string and leveraging the finger against the arrow.  I have seen lots of times, guys going for longer draws with very straight up form, as they stretch for the last bit of draw, the palm turns down and the elbow goes up.  The remedy usually is to square up the fingers on the string cant the bow more, bend at the waist a bit, and tilt the head, anchoring somewhere in line with corner of the mouth with the middle finger.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Finger Pinch Eliminator

Here is something I invented after years of suffering from finger pinch, especially when using short bows. I make this using an aluminum soda can because they are handy. It might be even better if they could be made out of thin flexible plastic such as used for a guitar pic. But I have no access to that plastic so I have used the soda cans for years. Basically this item will eliminate the finger pinch on the bottom side of the top string finger, the part of the finger that pushes against the nock . This item is for use for split finger shooters using a glove only, it will not work for tab shooters. The item is made by cutting the top and bottom off a soda can with sissors. Next cut the can open and press aluminum flat on a table, like a piece of paper on a table. Wash soda residue from can. Next fold the aluminum in have, so it is double thickness. Next use the pattern design (see picture) and mark out the design along the folded edge of the aluminum. Cut out the form with sissors so the folded crease of the aluminum holds the two layers together. Next put a layer of duct tape over the part you cut out, this protects you from the sharp edge of the aluminum. Bend the piece to fit inside the top finger of the shooting glove. No part of this item should be in the part of the glove that will press against the string when drawing the bow. When it is in the glove you can not tell it is there except you will not have any more picnch against the nock. Mine will last nearly forever, the tape may wear some, but they never break. No more red inflamed skin against the finger nail!

John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I entered the above (the insert for the finger glove) idea on 3Rivers web site contest for new products. If you like this idea please go to 3rivers web site, register and vote for this item. This is the last month of the contest. This is on page 10 of the "accessories" pages.
I would appreciate your vote, it might help me win.
Thanks
John

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
I use the same thing as John except I use a piece of plastic cut from a pill bottle.
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Usually after McDave comments on a tread, there is not much left to say. I will throw in my two cents though. Two things come to mind. First, there needs to be a discussion about your draw length and your bow length. My draw length is about 28.5 and I shoot a 60" Longbow. For me, three under works well with this setup. I don't have a lot of finger pinch and arrow flight is great. What is your draw length and bow length?

Like you, I began Trad bow hunting three years ago. I shot split finger intially, but quickly changed to three under because I shot better that way. To me, I would rather trade accuracy for optimal arrow performance.

Good luck,

Dennis

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I've been shooting 3 under for about 15 yrs now. Best change I ever did. Also I use a 3" piece of peep sight tubing on my string so I don't have to worry about a tab or glove. Works for me.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©