3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie Suit Recomendation ???  (Read 649 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie Suit Recomendation ???
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
I am going to buy both my wife and I a ghillie suit. I have looked at both the Rancho Safari and the ghilliesuitstore.com website. I am also unsure of whether to get the one-piece or the three separate piece suits.

My wife hunts only from the ground and I am wanting to start hunting from the ground also. Before someone says "do a search on Pow Wow" for it......I already have and read them from beginning to end. I am also unsure of whether to get the "mossy"....or the "leafy" pattern.

Any suggestions......or recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie Suit Recomendation ???
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
I've got the Shaggy longcoat from Rancho Safari.  It is a quality product, and very easy to use. You will not be disappointed.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
Take a look at the Bush in a Bag that Big Jim's Bow Company has.  I bought one and recommend it.
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
ive got the Rancho Short jacket and leg gaiters.. I personally wouldnt buy the pants because the get hung on everything, the jacket or longcoat and a boonie is the ticket... And there stuff is quality..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
I have the bushrag kit with the poncho netting, cut to about knee lenght and I was good to go....

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Don,

I second the bush ina bag from Big Jim, great product.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline flintznstyx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I bought a poncho kit from gilliesuits.com. To me it was not fun putting it together. that said last weekend was opening weekend here and it was the most fun i have ever had deer hunting. 5 bucks in all sat. not a one saw me. one was close enough to count eyelashes.
After thinking i would stay with a poncho or long coat. I would not try walking in it for it snags everything. pick a spot get setup and slip it on.
get one and have fun.
Eric

Banshee TDR 60" 43#@28"

Offline Joe in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Anyone have experience or knowledge regarding the ghillie poncho 3Rivers sells? It is only $80 and looks similiar to the bush in the bag.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Get a longcoat instead of a two piece (pants and jacket). I bought a two pc. outfit(stringy type) from Cabellas. It works when sitting on a stool/chair in bushes or weeds. A long coat will conceal a person as well as a jacket/pant outfit. I would also recomend a light weight version in lieu a heavey weight one. You can always wear warm cloths underneath the "ghillie" when it gets colder!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Joe in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
The first time I did a search for the bush in a bag I got a similiar product for  $150.  Jim's is only 80 plus shipping and looks just like the one in 3 rivers.

I wish it was a bit lighter in color and I could see snow camo being cool too.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I've got a Rancho Safari 3-piece lightweight suit (pants, jacket, hat). It works great and is a quality product, but I wish I would have gotten the long-coat instead, as it would just be easier/quicker to get set up and would conceal you just as well.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
Joe- It is the same thing. They must have lowered there price. it is now $82 but was $90.

The difference between the $150 and the bush n a bag I sell is that more expensive one is much heavier and thicker. I have found the lighter one to be more than adequate and much easier on warm days.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I've been interested in this too - looked at Rancho Safari and it said shipping weight for the longcoat was 7 lbs - is that what they weigh - Big Jim what does your weigh

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Those with the bush in a bag, did you have to do alot of trimming to be able to shoot your bow with these suits?  Looks great, and not a bad price.  Will look into for sure...Mike

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Just hunted in a rancho safari shaggy longcoat for the first time last weekend. Worked great! Had several deer at 20 yards or less. I even had a bird land on my arrow while I was holding my bow.(never had that happen before) I am glad I went with the longcoat vs the 2 piece. I wouldn't want to walk far in either, as its heavy and snags up on briars.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I was just on Big Jim's web site and his is only 2.2 pounds.I will be ordering one of them for sure.
robert quetot

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks Bob for helping. They are very light weight. I too have a synthetic rancho safari. Super nice suit. I bought the synthetic because it was supposed to breathe better. It may, but not enough for warm days. I had to quit wearing the pants part because the legs get tied up with briars and vines and such. Impossible to walk in. The top was not quite as bad but a lot of our brush is even up to the shoulders (yes my shoulders too) around here. Also had to routinely remove coat and untangle brush (Georgia is a tough place in the woods!)
The bush n a bag required very little trimming for me where as the ghillie required quite a bit. I enjoy the fact that I can carry it to my stand and set up in seconds. This makes it even cooler and less hangups.
BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
I didn't have to trim my Bush in a Bag much at all.  I have a string ghillie and I had to trim that some.  But the ghillie is difficult to walk in.  It seems to catch every branch and twig.  The Bush in the Bag doesn't.  I wrapped a belt around mine and was able to walk just fine.  It is just a little long for my short frame.  I may trim the bottom a little.  I also like the ease of putting it on and taking it off.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Rancho Safari long coat is a top flight product. Will last you a long, long time. Also get the boonie and face mask. I've got a two piece Cabela's light weight leafy suit as well. The pants are a pain.

Offline imike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
consider a ghillie suit made strictly for bowhunting

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©